Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesus is rude to Peter
Jesus is rude to Peter
Quote:Matthew 16:13 KING JAMES VERSION
When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? {16:14} And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. {16:15} He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? {16:16} And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. {16:17} And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. {16:18} And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. {16:19} And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. {16:20} Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ. {16:21} From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. {16:22} Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. {16:23} But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

He calls Peter “Satan” because Peter told him not to get himself killed. It looks like Peter was being protective. It looks like Peter was saying don’t worry about it, that won’t happen.

Then, Jesus behaves like a jerk and says to Peter:
Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

^^^^^Also, Jesus is saying that men are crap or something.

The NEW WORLD TRANSLATION says:
Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me, because you think, not God’s thoughts, but those of men.

^^^^^So, thinking about protecting yourself, self preservation is “men’s thought.

The funny thing is 1 line before that, Jesus is ready to give the keys to heaven to Peter because Peter said to him something he liked:

Quote:{16:17} And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. {16:18} And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. {16:19} And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

But it sounds like Jesus calmed down after that and didn’t kick Peter out of the group.
RE: Jesus is rude to Peter
(January 3, 2022 at 7:25 pm)Ferrocyanide Wrote:
When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am? {16:14} And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets. {16:15} He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am? {16:16} And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God. {16:17} And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. {16:18} And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. {16:19} And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. {16:20} Then charged he his disciples that they should tell no man that he was Jesus the Christ. {16:21} From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day. {16:22} Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee. {16:23} But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

He calls Peter “Satan” because Peter told him not to get himself killed. It looks like Peter was being protective. It looks like Peter was saying don’t worry about it, that won’t happen.

Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me, because you think, not God’s thoughts, but those of men.

^^^^^So, thinking about protecting yourself, self preservation is “men’s thought.

The funny thing is 1 line before that, Jesus is ready to give the keys to heaven to Peter because Peter said to him something he liked:

Quote:{16:17} And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven. {16:18} And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. {16:19} And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

But it sounds like Jesus calmed down after that and didn’t kick Peter out of the group.

Yeah, Jesus did have a short fuse - cursing the poor, innocent fig tree, going off on his old mum, etc. Peter got off lightly.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(January 3, 2022 at 8:01 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Yeah, Jesus did have a short fuse - cursing the poor, innocent fig tree, going off on his old mum, etc. Peter got off lightly.

Boru

Hey. Everyone knows that fig tree was an asshole.
(January 3, 2022 at 8:01 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 3, 2022 at 7:25 pm)Ferrocyanide Wrote: He calls Peter “Satan” because Peter told him not to get himself killed. It looks like Peter was being protective. It looks like Peter was saying don’t worry about it, that won’t happen.

Yeah, Jesus did have a short fuse - cursing the poor, innocent fig tree, going off on his old mum, etc. Peter got off lightly.

Boru

He went off on his mum?

Well, that does have biblical precedant....
Dying to live, living to die.
(January 3, 2022 at 8:45 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(January 3, 2022 at 8:01 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Yeah, Jesus did have a short fuse - cursing the poor, innocent fig tree, going off on his old mum, etc. Peter got off lightly.

Boru

He went off on his mum?

Well, that does have biblical precedant....

Yeah, the wedding at Cana. If I had talked to my mum that way, I’d have got a thick ear, at the very least.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Get an old red-letter version of the Bible (some new versions are still being sold) and read the Gospel of Mark, the first Gospel to be composed; little red. Matthew & Luke, a decade or two later, lots of red.

The dialogue in the OP almost surely did not take place; it is just a story, part of the epic, akin to all of the detailed narratives given by Homer in the Odyssey and Iliad.
I think JFC covers it.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
He was known as JHC.
(January 4, 2022 at 8:23 am)Jehanne Wrote: Get an old red-letter version of the Bible (some new versions are still being sold) and read the Gospel of Mark, the first Gospel to be composed; little red.  Matthew & Luke, a decade or two later, lots of red.

The dialogue in the OP almost surely did not take place; it is just a story, part of the epic, akin to all of the detailed narratives given by Homer in the Odyssey and Iliad.

Matthew echoes Mark in that passage.

Yes, none of it took place.  It was written to give Jesus a fake place in history as the "true" John the Baptist and to place Cephas above Paul, who had the greater following.
(January 3, 2022 at 7:25 pm)Ferrocyanide Wrote:

Gotta love that little Greek pun that no Jew would ever have uttered and is the foundation of all Catholicism. Makes you wonder what in-jokes Joseph Smith and L. Ron Hubbard included thinking that nobody would ever take them seriously.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Gospel of Peter versus the Gospel of Matthew. Jehanne 47 5657 July 14, 2018 at 12:22 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Peter Popoff drfuzzy 6 1744 December 23, 2017 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Church of England 'colluded' with sex abuse bishop Peter Ball zebo-the-fat 4 1714 June 22, 2017 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  So, once shown how, Peter was always able to walk on water ? vorlon13 38 6830 November 8, 2015 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Saint Peter's Bones Fake Messiah 86 22202 September 20, 2015 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  A bizarre anagram of St Peter's name Newtonscat 4 1736 January 17, 2015 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Alex K
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7180 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  "Peter in Rome" dissected by Antonio Lombatti Minimalist 4 1700 December 21, 2013 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why Isn't Saint Peter In Hell? BrianSoddingBoru4 17 4406 November 14, 2013 at 1:31 pm
  Jesus the Spiritual Warrior vs Jesus the Sacrificial Lamb Dosaiah 8 7362 December 5, 2010 at 2:47 pm