Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
God's Word is Perfect
God's Word is Perfect
It is claimed that the bible is God's Word and is perfect. The inconsistencies with history, biology, physics, even internal consistency are waved away as not understanding context or metaphors or any number of other excuses.

Yet even if we have a totally internally consistent holy book, would it be enough to give credit to the idea of divine inspiration?

Or is such a thing no more impressive than a good editor?

It is claimed that God's Word is perfect, but is a perfect word good enough to proclaim as god's?
"People need heroes. They don't need to know how he died clawing his eyes out, screaming for mercy. The real story would just hurt sales, and dampen the spirits of our customers." - Mythology for Profit
RE: God's Word is Perfect
Quite simply, no. What makes a book perfect? Consistency? I've read plenty of consistent works of fiction. I still don't believe bullshit. Even bullshit can sound good.
I could write a completely consistent book and worship it, does that make me god?
(March 29, 2011 at 10:56 pm)Shell B Wrote: Quite simply, no. What makes a book perfect? Consistency? I've read plenty of consistent works of fiction. I still don't believe bullshit. Even bullshit can sound good.

Actually the Holy Bible fails the consistency bit, if you just read it as another piece of literature, it would not be all that great quality wise.
undefined
There is simply no such thing as "perfect".
It depends how tight the constraints are, a perfect result for instance is very achievable, 2 is a perfect result of 1 + 1.
Yet i"ve argued with a christian who stated that he was content with its accuracy and consistency(the KJV if you were wondering)
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
You mean he'd also be content with a steaming pile of shit thrown onto a canvas, only to be hung up and called "consistent" with a work of Da Vinci?
(March 30, 2011 at 5:31 am)theVOID Wrote: You mean he'd also be content with a steaming pile of shit thrown onto a canvas, only to be hung up and called "consistent" with a work of Da Vinci?

Oh this guy was a classic, he thought Kent Hovind was a misunderstood genius and that there were ancient civilizations that had flight based on what http://s8int.com/ said.

And that the Egyptians didn't build the Great Pyramid.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Wow, why wasn't he in a mental home?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can you prove that the gospel of Mark is not the "word of god"? Lincoln05 100 11733 October 16, 2018 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Perfect, Best of Possible, or Better than Nothing: Which criterion? Hatshepsut 35 6645 May 19, 2015 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Is the bible all perfect? Dystopia 77 11485 March 10, 2015 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Bible is the infallible word of God! Proof! JesusChristLover 344 79629 January 3, 2015 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Christians, your God cannot be Perfect. Mudhammam 31 6930 January 10, 2014 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: truthBtold
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12462 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook
  Proof That the Bible Isn't the Word of God FallentoReason 123 39915 February 7, 2013 at 2:19 am
Last Post: ronedee
  The pope wants to use facebook and twitter to spread the word of god zebo-the-fat 8 2971 January 25, 2013 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  THE BIBLE: God’s Word or Man’s? Alter2Ego 61 26343 May 13, 2012 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Seal Of God In Creation And The Word Forsaken 7 4516 March 17, 2012 at 11:27 am
Last Post: NoMoreFaith