Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nuclear missiles in Cuba?
Nuclear missiles in Cuba?
If Russia (hypocritical) or China would want to place nuclear missiles in Cuba, how should the United States react? If at all?
RE: Nuclear missiles in Cuba?
(April 4, 2022 at 12:59 pm)Jehanne Wrote: If Russia (hypocritical) or China would want to place nuclear missiles in Cuba, how should the United States react?  If at all?

Quarantine worked once, no reason it wouldn’t work again.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 4, 2022 at 1:11 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(April 4, 2022 at 12:59 pm)Jehanne Wrote: If Russia (hypocritical) or China would want to place nuclear missiles in Cuba, how should the United States react?  If at all?

Quarantine worked once, no reason it wouldn’t work again.

Boru

And, so, another bluff?
(April 4, 2022 at 1:38 pm)Jehanne Wrote:
(April 4, 2022 at 1:11 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Quarantine worked once, no reason it wouldn’t work again.

Boru

And, so, another bluff?

I don’t think either side was bluffing in 1962. Cuba didn’t want another US attempt at invasion, the USSR didn’t want American ballistic missiles in Turkey. It was brinksmanship, not a bluff.

Fortunately for both sides, cooler heads prevailed.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
If Cuba joins in a military Alliance with either and either country puts missiles there then America has no right to do anything other than convincing them not to.
"Change was inevitable"

Nemo sicut deus debet esse!

[Image: Canada_Flag.jpg?v=1646203843]

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(April 4, 2022 at 2:43 pm)Helios Wrote:
If Cuba joins in a military Alliance with either and either country puts missiles there then America has no right to do anything other than convincing them not to.

What the US has the right to do and what the US can do are two very different kettles of fish (not very different from any other great power).

Boru
(April 4, 2022 at 3:30 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(April 4, 2022 at 2:43 pm)Helios Wrote: If Cuba joins in a military Alliance with either and either country puts missiles there then America has no right to do anything other than convincing them not to.

What the US has the right to do and what the US can do are two very different kettles of fish (not very different from any other great power).

Boru

If a country only does what everyone would agree it has the right to do, then the chances are it won’t be able to exercise its right to exist, even if everyone agree it has that right, for very much longer.

Rule system can serve many causes, some noble, some not so noble.   There are many rewards associated with any well contrived rule system.   But there is one thing that all rule system will inevitably do, that is it will eventually bring the greatest reward to the one who breaks it in the most cunning and opportune manner.
(April 4, 2022 at 3:30 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(April 4, 2022 at 2:43 pm)Helios Wrote: If Cuba joins in a military Alliance with either and either country puts missiles there then America has no right to do anything other than convincing them not to.

Boru
The OP asked how the US should act not how they can act. The US should respect the right of a sovereign nation to enter into alliances even if they are not advantageous to the US. The fact could act like Russia and throw a hissy fit doesn't mean they should.

Quote:If a country only does what everyone would agree it has the right to do, then the chances are it won’t be able to exercise its right to exist, even if everyone agree it has that right, for very much longer.
There is a difference between defending your country from imminent threat to its existence and flying into a hissy fit because one of your neighbors allied with a country you don't like to defend itself from you.

Quote:Rule system can serve many causes, some noble, some not so noble.   There are many rewards associated with any well contrived rule system.   But there is one thing that all rule system will inevitably do, that is it will eventually bring the greatest reward to the one who breaks it in the most cunning and opportune manner.
As opposed to your system of anarchy  and might makes right  mixed with delusion having more assholes living by this notion will make the world better somehow Hehe
"Change was inevitable"

“No matter what men think, abortion is a fact of life. Women have always had them; they always have and they always will. Are they going to have good ones or bad ones? Will the good ones be reserved for the rich, while the poor women go to quacks?”
–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

(April 4, 2022 at 3:46 pm)Helios Wrote:
(April 4, 2022 at 3:30 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: What the US has the right to do and what the US can do are two very different kettles of fish (not very different from any other great power).

Boru
The OP asked how the US should act not how they can act. The US should respect the right of a sovereign nation to enter into alliances even if they are not advantageous to the US. The fact could act like Russia and throw a hissy fit doesn't mean they should.

Quote:If a country only does what everyone would agree it has the right to do, then the chances are it won’t be able to exercise its right to exist, even if everyone agree it has that right, for very much longer.
There is a difference between defending your country from imminent threat to its existence and flying into a hissy fit because one of your neighbors allied with a country you don't like to defend itself from you.

There is no fundamental adjudicatable difference.   You are living in a legalistic fantasy world, not a real one.
Quote:There is no fundamental adjudicatable difference.   You are living in a legalistic fantasy world, not a real one.
Yes there is a clear difference your the one living in a fantasy world friend  Dodgy
"Change was inevitable"

–SHIRLEY CHISHOLM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Is a limited nuclear exchange possible? Angrboda 20 1190 April 21, 2022 at 10:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  German Nuclear Power Phaseout Alex K 22 1635 January 31, 2021 at 8:41 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  45, "Short range missiles... Meh"........ Brian37 7 415 August 2, 2019 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  US selling nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia Cepheus Ace 32 1868 April 4, 2019 at 2:58 pm
  BREAKING: First Images of Saudi Nuclear Reactor Show Plant Nearing Finish WinterHold 0 280 April 3, 2019 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  So COOL! We need a 4th leg to the Nuclear Triad !! vorlon13 9 1166 January 24, 2018 at 10:19 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Nuclear Launch Order May Be Disobeyed AFTT47 25 2500 November 20, 2017 at 2:38 pm
  North Korea Now Making Missile Ready Nuclear Weapons A Theist 199 49756 August 15, 2017 at 5:34 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  US may launch strike if North Korea moves to test nuclear weapon Aegon 53 6261 April 18, 2017 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Nuclear threat from North Korea KUSA 31 4806 March 8, 2016 at 3:11 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd