Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:16 am

Poll: Cut?
This poll is closed.
Medicare
16.67%
3 16.67%
Defense
72.22%
13 72.22%
Social Security
11.11%
2 11.11%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Medicare, Defense or Social Security?
Medicare, Defense or Social Security?
There are many colossal hemorrhages of resources in the United States, including Medicare/Medicaid, Social Security and Department of Defense.

So in this thread, I ask, what and why you'd cut it.

I'd cut DoD funding to half of what it is now, but leave other things intact.
RE: Medicare, Defense or Social Security?
War.

Calling it defence is an obscene euphemism. The US has not been under direct attack by another nation since Pearl Harbour, yet has been involved in approximately FIFTY armed conflicts.

There is no excuse for a county as wealthy as the US to have second rate systems of health,education and welfare. Traditional US jingoism gives the lunar right the appearance of an excuse not have world class systems of social justice. Instead, TRILLIONS have been spent on avoidable wars.

There is a large group of powerful and not-so-powerful people in the US who can only be described as callous and/or ignorant arseholes. These people are too callous, too ignorant or too stupid to grasp that high taxes are needed for an affluent society. [from which everyone benefits]
Cutting medicare and social security will cause many deaths. Cutting deffense (or as I would rather put it, cutting OFFENSE and keeping DEFENSE) will save lives..here and abroad.

Or look at it this way: Which is malevolent and which is benevolent?

Medicare: Benevolent
Social Security: Benevolent
Defense: Benevolent
Offense: Malevolent

How about we stop the malevolence and save money and lives in the process.
(April 3, 2011 at 6:46 pm)padraic Wrote: The US has not been under direct attack by another nation since Pearl Harbour...

Lets not forget 9/11.
Quote:Lets not forget 9/11.

I was wondering if anyone would mention that. So far I've seen no evidence that 9/11 was an attack on the US by another nation.

9/11 was a terrorist attack by extremist Islamists,not an act of war by a sovereign nation. Pearl Harbour was an act of war by the nation of Japan.

(April 3, 2011 at 7:10 pm)padraic Wrote:
Quote:Lets not forget 9/11.

I was wondering if anyone would mention that. So far I've seen no evidence that 9/11 was an attack on the US by another nation.

9/11 was a terrorist attack by extremist Islamists,not an act of war by a sovereign nation. Pearl Harbour was an act of war by the nation of Japan.

Good point. I consider it an attack, but where is the nation that attacked us? Well, we go after the group that attacked us. Its so grey area that it pisses me off and makes me feel conflicted over this middle east war we are having. Flip a quarter, at any moment I oppose it or support it. I cant tell what is heads or tails about it. Am I the only one conflicted over this mess we have had for the last ten years? And arent we changing the topic?Tongue
Quote:And aren't we changing the topic?

You did that mate,not me. I said "The US has not been attacked directly by another country since Pear Harbour" .That is a bald statement of fact.

The nation of origin only becomes relevant if it can be proved the attack was made with at least the knowledge and tacit approval of the state.

The collective US nervous breakdown and howls for blood after 9/11 were cynically used by the Bush administration to justify the illegal aggressive war against Iraq.

I would cut defense, but not because I do not think we need it. I would cut the funding because I think it is being spent poorly. I am not a fan of social security, though.
(April 3, 2011 at 8:01 pm)Shell B Wrote: . I am not a fan of social security, though.

You may change your mind if you need it.

Quote: Conservative; a liberal who has just been mugged
Liberal; a conservative who has just been arrested (anon)
(April 3, 2011 at 6:46 pm)padraic Wrote: War.

Calling it defence is an obscene euphemism. The US has not been under direct attack by another nation since Pearl Harbour, yet has been involved in approximately FIFTY armed conflicts.

There is no excuse for a county as wealthy as the US to have second rate systems of health,education and welfare. Traditional US jingoism gives the lunar right the appearance of an excuse not have world class systems of social justice. Instead, TRILLIONS have been spent on avoidable wars.

There is a large group of powerful and not-so-powerful people in the US who can only be described as callous and/or ignorant arseholes. These people are too callous, too ignorant or too stupid to grasp that high taxes are needed for an affluent society. [from which everyone benefits]

9/11 was not an attack by another nation, which I believe was the original point. It really is simple. Our defense budget is on the order of over 600 billion dollars per year, far larger than most of the other industrializaed nations combined. Not to mention that there are some 80 million well armed Americans thanks to the 2nd amendment. How much defense do we actually need? And how much of this spending is nothing but corporate welfare for the military-industrial complex? Cut the defense budget by 20%. That would give us a savings of 120 billon per year, and I contend, would not make us less safe. A smaller military would also give our leaders pause to reconsider using it in such pointless wars as the invasion of Iraq. And the much needed social programs wouldn't need cutting, though I have no problem whatsoever with looking into how it can be done more efficiently.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
I'm not american, but i voted defence because this poll is directed towards america...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Social democracy in Europe without 5 minutes Interaktive 1 592 January 3, 2023 at 4:55 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does Social Issues matter when deciding your political affiliation? T.J. 48 3056 April 21, 2022 at 9:36 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  TX social media censorship bill Fake Messiah 24 2221 September 14, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Social Security and wealth. Brian37 20 1119 July 9, 2020 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Putin Comes To The Orange Shitgibbon's Defense Minimalist 10 1591 September 24, 2018 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Bernie Sanders' "Medicare for All" plan is really expensive over a 10-year period.... Aegon 40 4580 September 22, 2018 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  And our defense budget increases NuclearEnergy 22 3942 August 8, 2017 at 8:30 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Defense: The Problem Is Not Money Minimalist 4 955 March 18, 2017 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Sec. of Defense Says Climate Change is Real Minimalist 27 3694 March 15, 2017 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Security for Trumps Son and Daughter chimp3 15 1924 March 9, 2017 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: chimp3