Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 7:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The concept of "spending money" as a fetish
The concept of "spending money" as a fetish
Why do some people spend money just for the sake of spending money? Belle Delphine has made a ridiculous amount of money doing her OnlyFans stuff (just as an example), and even in my own life, the guys I hang out with give me money when they don't have to, I mean, I would do sexual stuff with them even if they didn't pay me, but they still do. What is the psychology behind this?
"Imagination, life is your creation"
RE: The concept of "spending money" as a fetish
Why are you asking us?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
(September 20, 2022 at 6:39 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Why are you asking us?
Because I want your opinion?
(September 20, 2022 at 6:34 pm)Ahriman Wrote: Why do some people spend money just for the sake of spending money? Belle Delphine has made a ridiculous amount of money doing her OnlyFans stuff (just as an example), and even in my own life, the guys I hang out with give me money when they don't have to, I mean, I would do sexual stuff with them even if they didn't pay me, but they still do. What is the psychology behind this?

A fetish is always a replacement for something.

A religious fetish (like an idol) is an object which has no power, which people attribute power to. It gets a sort of social power, just because people think of it that way.

A commodity fetish is something that substitutes for the quality or value in a person. So for example, sophistication is the quality of a person, but if you buy a particular handbag or perfume you may feel that you are buying sophistication.

Sexual fetishes are substitutes for regular biological sex. Non-fetish attraction is when a man gets excited over a woman's body. Fetish attraction is when a man gets excited over her shoes. 

So spending money could be a fetish if it is a substitute for some other need or desire. Just guessing, I might say that a person could feel a desire to punish himself, and does this by wasting his valuables. Or he might want to show affection, but isn't comfortable doing so in more personal ways, so he hands out cash. But the roots of fetishes are personal and often obscure, so it's not my place to diagnose someone.
I find spending money pleasurable, along with the associated tangential benefits of acquiring nice things, feeling a sense of accomplishment at saving money, having shopped wisely, the attendant cognitive challenges conquered, and so on.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Some people shop for sport. Black Friday in the US is a great example of that. It's an event for some that I have only done once and never plan to do again. I have a daughter who lives for it.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(September 20, 2022 at 6:41 pm)Ahriman Wrote:
(September 20, 2022 at 6:39 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Why are you asking us?
Because I want your opinion?

Since when?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
This place seems to have gained a bunch of turds floating in the punch bowl...   Dodgy
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.
(September 20, 2022 at 9:24 pm)Fireball Wrote: This place seems to have gained a bunch of turds floating in the punch bowl...   Dodgy
I'm sorry, did you have an actual opinion on the subject of the OP?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would you do if given a ton of money? Ahriman 23 924 December 27, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Making money online. paulpablo 25 2217 September 10, 2018 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: Losty
  The most wasted money ...... KittyAnn 38 3101 July 4, 2018 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  What if you had the power to reinvent money ErGingerbreadMandude 26 4448 October 8, 2017 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Canada Now Has Money That Glows In The Dark Amarok 11 3622 June 14, 2017 at 1:21 am
  Money-Saving Tips from Tibs and Shell Shell B 97 10383 December 10, 2016 at 10:22 pm
  Pool of money dyresand 29 8121 January 11, 2016 at 5:57 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  How do you earn money? paulpablo 59 6121 January 1, 2016 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Spending way too much time here. abaris 16 1786 October 21, 2015 at 3:09 pm
Last Post: MTL
  collecting coins or paper money ? Marsellus Wallace 3 1056 October 10, 2015 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace