Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 4:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do conservative theologians prefer early dating of documents?
Why do conservative theologians prefer early dating of documents?
The two-scroll document called Luke-Acts was probably written in about 95, based on the presence of material from the works of Josephus known to have been written in 93 CE.

That makes Jesus' so-called "prophecy" of the 70 CE destruction of the Jerusalem temple in the gospel of Luke like someone today claiming they found a novel written in the 1970s that has characters "Googling" stuff.

That also requires the book of Acts to breaks off with Paul entering Rome.  If it covered the death of Paul in 67 it would already be into the period of the Jewish War (66-70) which would undermine Christ's power of "prophecy".   Any fool and his dog could see what was coming once the war started.
RE: Why do conservative theologians prefer early dating of documents?
(December 9, 2022 at 5:32 pm)LinuxGal Wrote: The two-scroll document called Luke-Acts was probably written in about 95, based on the presence of material from the works of Josephus known to have been written in 93 CE.

That makes Jesus' so-called "prophecy" of the 70 CE destruction of the Jerusalem temple in the gospel of Luke like someone today claiming they found a novel written in the 1970s that has characters "Googling" stuff.

That also requires the book of Acts to breaks off with Paul entering Rome.  If it covered the death of Paul in 67 it would already be into the period of the Jewish War (66-70) which would undermine Christ's power of "prophecy".   Any fool and his dog could see what was coming once the war started.

I think you answered your own question.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Conservative theologians want to believe that the Gospels were eyewitness accounts written by eyewitnesses. Of course, it has been known since the 19th-century that the authors of Matthew & Luke were shameless copycats.
I always thought 'conservative theologian' was an oxymoron.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do the conservative Christians here think of Professor Bart Ehrman? Jehanne 69 5994 March 8, 2019 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Dating Paul's Writings JairCrawford 33 3004 July 30, 2018 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Jesus : The Early years chimp3 139 21793 April 1, 2018 at 1:40 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Paul's "persecution" of the early Christians? Jehanne 134 14907 February 22, 2018 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  What were Jesus and early Christians like? watchamadoodle 343 60035 March 15, 2015 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: TimOneill
  Early Christian motives (a conversation with Paul) Mudhammam 0 1272 July 23, 2014 at 6:22 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Mesopotamia in the early dynastic. BrokenQuill92 7 1947 December 26, 2013 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Question for Christians Carbon Dating themonkeyman 28 6629 November 29, 2013 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: TheBeardedDude
  Bad Christian advice for dating, marriage, etc RichardP 10 5856 January 9, 2013 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Gilgamesh
  Has anyone heard of the conservative bible? TaraJo 11 4067 December 18, 2012 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: RichardP