Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maybe praying did once work...
Maybe praying did once work...
Imagine if Praying really did work except that one asshole decided to pray to God and ask him to not answer anymore prayers. Would be pretty funny imo. xD
~ Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give a man a religion and he'll die praying for a fish.
RE: Maybe praying did once work...
It's like the opposite of wishing for more wishes.
Har, funny! You'd effectively screw over any genie or wish-granting deities' power with said request. ^^

That wish would've killed off the Dragon Ball anime franchise before its time.
Maybe someone prayed to have prayer not work. Wink
Maybe someone prayed that miracles and answers to prayer look a lot like coincidence and natural, yet rare occurances.
Lol I like how you think reverendjeremiah
~ Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, give a man a religion and he'll die praying for a fish.
In absurdist circles we call it roughly "the problem of human intent", or generally "the human condition". Absurdists in Discorian social circles call it "Eristic verses aneristic". Eristic is seeing chaos/randomness, and aneristic is seeing order. If you intend to see order, you will find it, if you intend to find randomness, again you will find it. Another way to say it is "intent sensitive". This is explained best, in my opinion, in the discordian law of fives:

Malaclypse the Younger, Principia Discordia, Page 00016 Wrote:All things happen in fives, or are divisible by or are multiples of five, or are somehow directly or indirectly appropriate to 5
The Law of Fives is never wrong.

Lord Omar is quoted later on the same page as having written, "I find the Law of Fives to be more and more manifest the harder I look."

In other words. If you think like a hammer, then everything suddenly starts to resemble nails to you.

This doesnt mean that intent is bad per se, but that intent can and has deluded humanity very often.

Never lose your sense of humor. It gives you and edge over others who dont have one. The moment you think you have it all figured out, is the moment you close your mind and become a zombie, mindlessly following the pattern you have placed upon yourself.

(April 8, 2011 at 1:36 pm)Sarcasm Wrote: Imagine if Praying really did work except that one asshole decided to pray to God and ask him to not answer anymore prayers. Would be pretty funny imo. xD

It happens very rarely that I visit the Religion sub-forum. I've just passed here and seen this topic, thought about answering. I've read only this post (in case of any questions).

The statement "prayers work" is wrong. That's because they are not magical rituals or incantations that make supernatural things happen. A prayer means to talk to (I mean, you say, not you both talk) a person you believe he/she exists and that it is supernatural (can do supernatural things, is divine, whatever). In short words, to say something to a god/goddess, which many times means asking something from that deity.

If God (or the god, or the gods, but I'll use God here, as it is usually about God) exists, then I guess it is correct to be said that God hears one's prayers (knows what he's said), listens one's prayers (cares about what he said, not just ignores him), while God's decisions are still His own - though many times "listens his prayer" means that God decides to give help in that matter. If God exists, a prayer cannot make God be the subject of man (or, in other words, cannot make God be the servant of man). There can be no "prayers work" or "prayers don't work" thing.
What really sucks is when said deity who decides to grant prayer requests is a bit hard of hearing.
That is how I ended up with this 12 inch Bic.

When making your prayer request, remember to speak up loudly and clearly.
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
You're already a Dic Dotard... you get the closest match in that case Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prayers don't work so why do religious keep jabbing at it? Fake Messiah 65 9752 August 26, 2019 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Religion was once again showed down my throat Der/die AtheistIn 13 2749 October 1, 2017 at 7:07 am
Last Post: Succubus
  Nice Work, Shitheads Minimalist 7 1401 September 28, 2017 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Maybe WinterHold 9 2355 July 2, 2017 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Did you know the movies God's Not Dead 1 and 2 did well at Box Office? Renug 12 4471 May 30, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 2721 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Maybe I'm being crazy... BrokenQuill92 18 1966 November 21, 2016 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Maybe you guys are mixing religion with God Fk789 36 3355 November 1, 2016 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
Question Does detector LIGO work on freewill only? theBorg 49 6480 September 17, 2016 at 7:42 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  I will be praying to god for a girlfriend like this Tarasoft11 31 4839 September 11, 2016 at 4:08 pm
Last Post: Losty