Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion was once again showed down my throat
Religion was once again showed down my throat
My dad told me today, that since I will move to Vienna where there are a lot of catholics, I can convert to Catholicism if I want to. Romania used to be communist, in that period we had some relatives that were catholic. The regime didn't tolerate religion much, especially the Greek Catholic Church. Because of that said relatives had to convert to Orthodoxism. Dad said that the communists were dumb because they forced people to leave their faith, yet if I would tell him that I'm atheist he would explode. He doesn't believe in Hell and doesn't claim that Christianity is better than any other religion, so he has no reason to force me.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Religion was once again showed down my throat
(September 29, 2017 at 9:28 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: My dad told me today, that since I will move to Vienna where there are a lot of catholics, I can convert to Catholicism if I want to. Romania used to be communist, in that period we had some relatives that were catholic. The regime didn't tolerate religion much, especially the Greek Catholic Church. Because of that said relatives had to convert to Orthodoxism. Dad said that the communists were dumb because they forced people to leave their faith, yet if I would tell him that I'm atheist he would explode. He doesn't believe in Hell and doesn't claim that Christianity is better than any other religion, so he has no reason to force me.

Religion has always existed under communism. What one party states object to isn't religion, but ANY AND ALL dissent. Cuba tolerates it's Catholic majority and they have very old Catholic churches built long before the Castro family took power.

China also tolerates religion, again, as long as it tows the party line and doesn't make waves. Christian Churches even exist in China.

Even North Korea is religious. It is it's own brand of Asian ancestor worship. The Kim family are virtually worshiped as gods even if not in name, but in spirit. 

This is yet another story that when our right wing Christians falsely claim persecution makes me want to jack slap them. I am sorry you have to go through this. I hope wherever you end up, you always have a place, even if only on the net, to be able to express yourself.
Come to the next family gathering dressed as a Hare Krishna.

That should fuck him up.
There used to be a lot of Jews in Vienna.

Wonder if the Catholics care to take responsibility for the dearth of Jews there now?
(September 29, 2017 at 9:28 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: My dad told me today, that since I will move to Vienna where there are a lot of catholics, I can convert to Catholicism if I want to. Romania used to be communist, in that period we had some relatives that were catholic. The regime didn't tolerate religion much, especially the Greek Catholic Church. Because of that said relatives had to convert to Orthodoxism. Dad said that the communists were dumb because they forced people to leave their faith, yet if I would tell him that I'm atheist he would explode. He doesn't believe in Hell and doesn't claim that Christianity is better than any other religion, so he has no reason to force me.

Tell him as soon as the pope starts punishing priests for fucking children you'll convert.  That should cover you for 2-3 lifetimes.
(September 29, 2017 at 1:14 pm)Minimalist Wrote:

Tell him as soon as the pope starts punishing priests for fucking children you'll convert.  That should cover you for 2-3 lifetimes.

2-3 lifetimes?

I never pegged you as such an optimist, Min.
Eh, I don't think your dad saying "Hey, feel free to convert to Catholicism when you move to a country that's primarily Catholic" is anything to get worked up over. It's not like he's saying that you must convert.

I get that you're frustrated, but don't let your frustration override your rationality.
(September 29, 2017 at 2:53 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: Eh, I don't think your dad saying "Hey, feel free to convert to Catholicism when you move to a country that's primarily Catholic" is anything to get worked up over.  It's not like he's saying that you must convert.

I get that you're frustrated, but don't let your frustration override your rationality.

I know he's not forcing me to convert to Catholicism, I'm not frustrated about that. What I am frustrated about is that he wouldn't accept me as an atheist.
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
To borrow a George Carlin phrase regarding himself and the Pope having the same amount of authority and just not enough people who realize it, indoctrination that leads to someone growing up to be as unbalanced as your dad sounds is a crime, just not enough people realize it. I'm relieved it sounds like he's the last of that generation in your bloodline (unless you have siblings who took the bait) and that you won't be perpetuating that horrible mindset.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
(September 30, 2017 at 3:32 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: I know he's not forcing me to convert to Catholicism,

No probs ...but if you do convert, be careful they don't try to shove something else down your throat! Dodgy

Big Grin
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does anyone else fall down the rabbit hole Figbash 18 2357 October 14, 2018 at 4:53 am
Last Post: no one
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 2700 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10718 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4906 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19817 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49306 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Phil Robertson Taken Down StealthySkeptic 9 2681 September 11, 2014 at 11:22 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Cinjin ; get down and shine my boots . Artur Axmann 1 970 June 5, 2014 at 9:56 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  At which point can a state shut down and forbid a religion? Something completely different 11 4685 September 21, 2013 at 7:41 pm
Last Post: Davidthegoliath
  Why god cannot heal amputees? Well... he did, once. TheBigOhMan 34 18357 June 12, 2013 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: little_monkey