Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 5:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone else feel disgusted by religious words?
Question 
Does anyone else feel disgusted by religious words?
Words associated with Chrisitianity (for example God, Jesus, Church, cross), Islam (Allah, Coran, Mohammed, mosque) and with Judaism (synagogue, Moses, Noah's ark) make me feel disgusted. Everytime I hear, spell or think about them it literally makes me sick to my stomach, luckily never to the point of throwing up.
Words from Non-abrahamic religions disgust me less, but I still dislike many of them. 
This will make the moment when I'll come out as atheist to my family hard, because I'll have to hear and spell these words. My family members will try to convince me to return to the faith, so they'll use these words and I'll have to explain them why I don't want to return, so I'll have to use these words.
Could I use the fact that I'm disgusted by religious words as an argument when I'll come out of the closet?
Does anyone feel the same regarding religious words?
"By simple common sense I don't believe in God, in none"

Charlie Chaplin
RE: Does anyone else feel disgusted by religious words?
Not really, I still say "Oh God"  When I'm driving, when I'm in work, when I'm fornicating, or just in general when something either really good or bad happens.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(January 7, 2018 at 6:03 am)paulpablo Wrote: Not really, I still say "Oh God"  When I'm driving, when I'm in work, when I'm fornicating, or just in general when something either really good or bad happens.

Sometimes I say "oh God" too without meaning it really, but after saying it I feel a little uncomfortable, so I try to avoid saying them in the first place.
I didn't impose myself to hate these words so I guess it happened subconsciously.

Charlie Chaplin
"Have a blessed day" really wilts my noodle.
(January 7, 2018 at 5:56 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: Words associated with Chrisitianity (for example God, Jesus, Church, cross), Islam (Allah, Coran, Mohammed, mosque) and with Judaism (synagogue, Moses, Noah's ark) make me feel disgusted. Everytime I hear, spell or think about them it literally makes me sick to my stomach, luckily never to the point of throwing up.
Words from Non-abrahamic religions disgust me less, but I still dislike many of them. 
This will make the moment when I'll come out as atheist to my family hard, because I'll have to hear and spell these words. My family members will try to convince me to return to the faith, so they'll use these words and I'll have to explain them why I don't want to return, so I'll have to use these words.
Could I use the fact that I'm disgusted by religious words as an argument when I'll come out of the closet?

No need to make it worse on yourself by arguing that you don't like to hear those words. It's not like this is even an argument against their faith.

You have to use these words anyhow, if you want to assert yourself and make it clear to them why you don't believe.
Nope, words by themselves are fairly innocuous. Unfortunately you rarely hear them used by themselves.

When tied to a thought or action then it depends on the thought or action. Even then, disgusted is not usually the emotion I feel.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 7, 2018 at 7:47 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Nope, words by themselves are fairly innocuous. Unfortunately you rarely hear them used by themselves.

When tied to a thought or action then it depends on the thought or action. Even then, disgusted is not usually the emotion I feel.

If I think about it, the context in which the words are used is important to me too. It's one thing when they're used to promote religion (it depends on how religion is promoted too, if it's moderate or fundamental), other when they're used against religion and other when neutral.
I guess the reason why I don't like the words is because I've heard them used so many times to promote things that make me feel disgusted.

Charlie Chaplin
Besides "allahu akbar" (for obvious reasons), words from other religions that are not my own don't bother me at all.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(January 7, 2018 at 5:56 am)Die Atheistin Wrote: Words associated with Chrisitianity (for example God, Jesus, Church, cross), Islam (Allah, Coran, Mohammed, mosque) and with Judaism (synagogue, Moses, Noah's ark) make me feel disgusted. Everytime I hear, spell or think about them it literally makes me sick to my stomach, luckily never to the point of throwing up.

No.  How can you be disgusted by words?  I've got a mate called 'Moses', he's not disgusting.  There's a church at the nearest intersection to my house, nothing disgusting there.

Boru

(January 7, 2018 at 8:51 am)Catholic_Lady Wrote: Besides "allahu akbar" (for obvious reasons), words from other religions that are not my own don't bother me at all.

How can 'Allahu akbar' disgust you?  It's a term of subservience to the God of Abraham.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Its association. What it makes me think of when i hear it.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does anyone convert to Islam? FrustratedFool 28 2029 September 6, 2023 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  How do you feel about all these creationists? suddenlymark 32 3131 August 15, 2023 at 8:01 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Religion summed up in two words UniversesBoss 0 470 November 26, 2022 at 1:19 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
  Why did God allow his words to be changed? Fake Messiah 53 3945 October 23, 2021 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Anyone else just drop religion with a snap of the finger? PookieNumNums 21 2438 July 16, 2020 at 10:12 am
Last Post: Gnomey
  It's not religion..believe me. It's something else WinterHold 49 6880 November 15, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Does anyone else fall down the rabbit hole Figbash 18 2321 October 14, 2018 at 4:53 am
Last Post: no one
  How do you call someone who is religious only because it makes them feel happy? Der/die AtheistIn 38 7226 November 25, 2017 at 12:31 am
Last Post: c172
  How Do Christians Feel About the Testimony of Muslims and Vice Versa? Rhondazvous 24 4478 September 22, 2017 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  I don't exactly feel the same way I once did. Ryantology 18 2677 January 26, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain