Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 5:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anyone else fall down the rabbit hole
Does anyone else fall down the rabbit hole
of evangelical profiles on FB? 

I follow a homeschool group and click on profiles to try and understand these people. They are hellbent on indoctrinating their many children because public school is 'evil'.

I see lots of these kinds of posts and I find myself wanting to steal their children to give them a fighting chance. 

[Image: Sad.png?resize=597%2C445]

I don't know why I do it because I always feel a little sick when I scroll down their timeline. They are so brainwashed, it makes me so incredibly sad for their children.
Illegitimi non carborundum
RE: Does anyone else fall down the rabbit hole
I try to avoid these people in real life. I certainly don't spend time on FB finding more of them.
I guess I should be thankful that I don't have any evangelicals in my real life.
(October 10, 2018 at 11:05 am)Figbash Wrote: of evangelical profiles on FB? 

I follow a homeschool group and click on profiles to try and understand these people. They are hellbent on indoctrinating their many children because public school is 'evil'.

I see lots of these kinds of posts and I find myself wanting to steal their children to give them a fighting chance. 

I'm not a big fan of home schooling, unless there is a good reason like the quality or safety of your particular public school is really poor.

I don't think that it is good socially, they need to learn how to interact with other people, and even bullies. I also don't think that it's good from a religious standpoint; much for the same reason. I listen to J. Warner Wallace, and agree with his principle of inoculate, not isolate. That children don't need to be shielded from different and questioning views (or attacks); but rather shown how to think critically, check out the facts, and apply principles of reasoning. They will be stronger for it.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
Wow. I bet these guys carry around their three umbrellas even when it's not raining. Wink

I'm like you man. I'm curious about evangelicals, except that I do know quite a few of them in RL. They're regular dudes and dudettes for the most part. It's just that (when the subject of why they believe what they believe comes up) the umbrellas come out... and it's all Mary Poppins from there...
Quote: it makes me so incredibly sad for their children.

Then rejoice because religion is being rejected by the young at a much faster rate than old farts are catching on.  It is almost as if the more they try to squeeze their kids into the coffin of religion the more their kids rebel against their attempts at indoctrination.

Praise the FSM.

FSM Grin
Having been in both regular school and home school, I can definitely say that home school in itself is not a great idea. Top it off with his, and... someone save those poor kids.
The word bed actually looks like a bed. 
Many of them are HS educated and have no actual job experience. They were married young and have been raising 4,5,6 kids.

I always wonder what happens if the husband cheats and abandons his family? Or is abusive and she has no options?
The woman has no job, no life skills and a house full of kids to provide for and educate.
Quote:Many of them are HS educated and have no actual job experience. They were married young and have been raising 4,5,6 kids.

I don't know if you ever saw it but that is the basic premise of the movie "Idiocracy."  It used to be a joke until the Orange Shitgibbon was elected.  Now it is far too real.
(October 10, 2018 at 11:42 am)Figbash Wrote: Many of them are HS educated and have no actual job experience. They were married young and have been raising 4,5,6 kids.

I always wonder what happens if the husband cheats and abandons his family? Or is abusive and she has no options?
The woman has no job, no life skills and a house full of kids to provide for and educate.

Does your frustration over those brainwashing cases will help those kids?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does anyone convert to Islam? FrustratedFool 28 2159 September 6, 2023 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Anyone else just drop religion with a snap of the finger? PookieNumNums 21 2486 July 16, 2020 at 10:12 am
Last Post: Gnomey
  It's not religion..believe me. It's something else WinterHold 49 6958 November 15, 2018 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
Question Does anyone else feel disgusted by religious words? Der/die AtheistIn 63 11541 January 17, 2018 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Religion was once again showed down my throat Der/die AtheistIn 13 2726 October 1, 2017 at 7:07 am
Last Post: Succubus
Information You must seek something else, or something is seriously wrong with you WinterHold 23 3372 August 7, 2016 at 7:52 am
Last Post: chimp3
  Anyone else here also post over at W.L. Craig's website? Whateverist 16 3029 March 2, 2016 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Nuda900
  The difference between a chocolate rabbit and a human? ReptilianPeon 7 3827 August 22, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Phil Robertson Taken Down StealthySkeptic 9 2681 September 11, 2014 at 11:22 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Why does anyone need a god? Brian37 17 2424 August 22, 2014 at 2:52 am
Last Post: psychoslice