Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 16, 2024, 9:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul the Apostle, seems kind of a liar. Authentic letters of Paul
Paul the Apostle, seems kind of a liar. Authentic letters of Paul
I was checking it out, and several times in his letters "Atleast the ones who aren't forgeries". He has to defend himself many times against accusations. So why should christians even trust his role at all?

But some have said that Paul admits to be lying. According to this verse. So i don't see why he has a role at all?

Romans 3:7
Someone might argue, "If my falsehood enhances God's truthfulness and so increases his glory, why am I still condemned as a sinner?"
RE: Paul the Apostle, seems kind of a liar. Authentic letters of Paul
(June 25, 2015 at 7:46 am)Coreni Wrote: I was checking it out, and several times in his letters "Atleast the ones who aren't forgeries". He has to defend himself many times against accusations. So why should christians even trust his role at all?

But some have said that Paul admits to be lying. According to this verse. So i don't see why he has a role at all?

Romans 3:7
Someone might argue, "If my falsehood enhances God's truthfulness and so increases his glory, why am I still condemned as a sinner?"

You need to read the passage in context. Paul is arguing AGAINST a specious argument that was circulating among other people. He says, "Someone might argue...". It's a hypothetical. Here is the broader context:

Quote:Romans 3
What advantage, then, is there in being a Jew, or what value is there in circumcision? 2 Much in every way! First of all, the Jews have been entrusted with the very words of God. 3 What if some were unfaithful? Will their unfaithfulness nullify God’s faithfulness? 4 Not at all! Let God be true, and every human being a liar. As it is written:

“So that you may be proved right when you speak
and prevail when you judge.”

5 But if our unrighteousness brings out God’s righteousness more clearly, what shall we say? That God is unjust in bringing his wrath on us? (I am using a human argument.) 6 Certainly not! If that were so, how could God judge the world? 7 Someone might argue, “If my falsehood enhances God’s truthfulness and so increases his glory, why am I still condemned as a sinner?” 8 Why not say—as some slanderously claim that we say—“Let us do evil that good may result”? Their condemnation is just!

From this passage, you can see that people were saying, "Well, if our sins make God look good in comparison to us, why are we condemned for sinning. The more we do wrong, the holier God appears."

Paul has not admitted lying; you have misunderstood what he was saying.

As for defending himself against accusations...well, accusations of what?

Paul did have to defend himself because (it is thought) that he was not considered to be as eloquent a speaker as some other apostles like Apollos. And because he was not one of the twelve, he had to overcome the inclination people had to think of Peter, James and John as the REAL rock stars of the early Church. This type of thing is quite evident in his letter to the Galatians.
(June 25, 2015 at 8:03 am)Randy Carson Wrote: Paul did have to defend himself because (it is thought) that he was not considered to be as eloquent a speaker as some other apostles like Apollos. And because he was not one of the twelve, he had to overcome the inclination people had to think of Peter, James and John as the REAL rock stars of the early Church. This type of thing is quite evident in his letter to the Galatians.

Sounds like he lack skills, which makes him incompetent and should easily be dismissed for having anything to do with the new testament. And he's the servant of god that we base letters off that is what most moral claims and teachings that most christians usually follow by. Don't people see something wrong with that?. Like homophobia, sexual restrictions, women's role (Women's role, which now some believe to be a forgery. But that didn't stop people in the past.)

If he's speaking on behalf of god he seems to be the worst example apparently. Why not get the eyewitnesses instead? Unless there is a reason why he can't- Afterall the gospels are not written by eyewitnesses.
Popcorn

Poe anyone?
Sometimes, I just let them think they are winning.

[Image: Gullivers-Travels-4-001.jpg]
(June 25, 2015 at 2:30 pm)Randy Carson Wrote: Sometimes, I just let them think they are winning.

[Image: Gullivers-Travels-4-001.jpg]Righ

Right you "let them think" they are winning.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

You have to give it to Paul though he is a self appointed apostle. Even though he is a lair he doesn't paint god in a good light at all.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
-and why should he?  "Paul" needs to shock his audience into attention like any demagogue.  "Here it is, fuck your sensibilities, take it or leave it."
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Food for thought. And he is right

You can also check this out with early sects aswell (Although this is somewhat longer, but gives valuable information.

(June 25, 2015 at 8:58 pm)Coreni Wrote: Food for thought. And he is right

You can also check this out with early sects aswell (Although this is somewhat longer, but gives valuable information.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd there i will shock your world with a few words.

1. Magic doesn't exist it never has been documented and it has never been witnessed. 

2. The devil satan he doesn't exist he is a fictional character in a book that is based around lies and hearsay. 

3. god he doesn't exist he is a fictional character in a book that is based around lies and hearsay. 

4. Biblical jesus never existed, historical jesus might have existed but looking at the evidence as of now he probably never existed at all. 

5. Creation if that is real god is a shitty creator, but there is no evidence for it. 

6. There is no heaven or hell i have been over this if such a place existed a being that takes a "soul" out of the universe into another existence would violate energy conservation.

If it makes you feel better we go back to were we came from we go back to being one with the universe in mind and our body will go back to the earth to rot away for the plant and fauna to dine on.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Paul's writings in the Bible? Fake Messiah 122 6380 October 8, 2023 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Have you got some kind of Christian backgound? Dundee 25 3545 April 15, 2020 at 9:21 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Paul's Writings Underpin Western Thought SteveII 232 16914 August 6, 2018 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Dating Paul's Writings JairCrawford 33 2978 July 30, 2018 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  The Kind of Shit Xtian Fucktards Teach Minimalist 12 2606 June 9, 2018 at 3:35 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Foxaèr 43 7846 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Paul's "persecution" of the early Christians? Jehanne 134 14809 February 22, 2018 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  So It Seems That This Jesus Freak Corporation's Religious Beliefs Only Go So Far Minimalist 11 2154 July 6, 2017 at 1:24 pm
  Paul's 500 witnesses. Jehanne 131 38327 May 14, 2017 at 4:39 pm
  Saint Paul and temporal lobe epilepsy. Jehanne 1 1278 July 17, 2016 at 2:52 pm
Last Post: RobertE