Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is religion a virus?
Is religion a virus?
Christ, it's a pandemic.
RE: Is religion a virus?
Soon...
Dying to live, living to die.
(September 2, 2023 at 8:03 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Soon...

There is no soon. There is no cure.
(September 2, 2023 at 8:18 pm)MarcusA Wrote:
(September 2, 2023 at 8:03 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Soon...

There is no soon. There is no cure.

There will soon be a cure.
(September 2, 2023 at 8:26 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote:
(September 2, 2023 at 8:18 pm)MarcusA Wrote: There is no soon. There is no cure.

There will soon be a cure.

Told ya!
“The human race has suffered for centuries and is still suffering from the mental disorder known as religion, and atheism is the only physician that will be able to effect a permanent cure.” (Joseph Lewis)  Read
"The world is my country; all of humanity are my brethren; and to do good deeds is my religion." (Thomas Paine)
Dawkins popularised the notion of religion being a meme or mind virus, and the metaphor has some merit.

People are generally easy to manipulate, and many have inbuilt psychological predispositions that make them susceptible to religion and magical thinking in particular.
real viruses often have the wherewithal to jump species.   I am afraid religion is so pathetic it is incapable of jumping species but will live and die with only that the most gullible of all species.
(September 4, 2023 at 4:26 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: real viruses often has the wherewithal to jump species. I am afraid religion is so pathetic it is incapable of jumping species but will live and die with only that the most gullible of all species.

I wonder. I suspect some other hominids had rudimentary religious impulses (esp Neanderthals). I have no idea about the inner life of dolphins, chimps, pigs, crows and octopi etc. But more so I wonder about ETs and AIs ...

Imagine a religious AI? Could be interesting.
(September 4, 2023 at 4:28 am)FrustratedFool Wrote:
(September 4, 2023 at 4:26 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: real viruses often has the wherewithal to jump species.   I am afraid religion is so pathetic it is incapable of jumping species but will live and die with only that the most gullible of all species.

I wonder.  I suspect some other hominids had rudimentary religious impulses (esp Neanderthals).  I have no idea about the inner life of dolphins, chimps, pigs, crows and octopi etc.  But more so I wonder about ETs and AIs ...

Imagine a religious AI?  Could be interesting.

Religion requires a very particular set of cognitive defects such as:

1.   deriving more comfort from having any explanation than from having persistently verifiable and predictive explanations, or a parallel in having more delight in seemingly being able to cheat from a cheat sheet of dubious origin rather than accepting only answers which have been proven to be right or adequately predictive under the circumstances. 

2.   Having a fear of one’s own nonexistence greater than any satisfaction in having done the right thing for one’s community, species, and progeny 

It is not clear whether such cognitive defects are common to all intelligences, all biological intelligence, only intelligences which shared a great part of the particular evolution history with us, or only intelligence which were influenced by how civilization evolved under the particular circumstances in which our societies evolved.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10730 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4907 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19826 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49327 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Christopher Hitchens, Darrell Ray and the God Virus Michael Schubert 5 2486 July 9, 2013 at 1:01 am
Last Post: Michael Schubert
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5187 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused