Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 10:18 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would this spark a theistic curiousity?
Would this spark a theistic curiousity?

Administrator Notice
Post placed in hide tags due to length.
RE: Would this spark a theistic curiousity?
Don't give me fantastical what-ifs.

Instead, wow me with realistic, empirical evidence.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
TL/DR, but no, nothing any human can say would change my mind about the nonexistence of gods. It would have to come from the god in question.

No. There isn't anything that would make me believe that utter nonsense.
(September 9, 2023 at 2:02 pm)Won2blv Wrote: Would it change your mind about the Gospel of Jesus Christ if I were to tell you that God themself denied he was who he claimed? And Jesus knew that despite claiming his personal belief that it was true anyway?
So Jesus lied.  And what does the Bible says about liars?

Revelation 21:8 ... all liars shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Thanks for clearing that up.
@Won2blv 

It might change my mind about God if he could make you speak in something other than gibberish.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I cant say that it would.  You could spend ages coming up with any number of ways to ship your favorite mythological characters and narratives.  

That's actually the version of theism I intellectually approve of and think probably does have all the purported benefits of belief and understanding.   I'm already aware of that type of belief and I find it unconvincing...worse, I think it's useless and redundant. Once you've reached the point where you can overtly and with full knowledge pick your own fairy tale then it's clear that you don't really need those fairy tales to be true as told anymore. Which is to say, you just don't need them, and can narrativize a religious truth very competently on your own.

Like you just did.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 9, 2023 at 2:02 pm)Won2blv Wrote: Would it change your mind about the Gospel of Jesus Christ if I were to tell you that God themself denied he was who he claimed? 

Nope.  It's trivially easy to write something like that into a work of fiction.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Wink Refuting Theistic Argument Ricardo 40 3158 October 7, 2019 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What is wrong with theistic beliefs? Whateverist 65 7049 November 30, 2018 at 5:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Best Theistic Arguments ShirkahnW 251 51031 July 8, 2018 at 12:13 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  ☢The Theistic Response➼ to Atheists saying, "It Doesn't mean God Did it" The Joker 195 22943 November 24, 2016 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  My anti-theistic perspective Foxaèr 122 15562 February 4, 2016 at 1:03 am
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Theistic argument awards 2015 Heat 20 4810 December 26, 2015 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Deconstructing Dawkins' Spectrum of Theistic Probability mralstoner 0 1297 December 23, 2015 at 1:35 am
Last Post: mralstoner
  In need of a more humbleness. Why condemning the Theistic position makes no sense. Mystic 141 24079 September 22, 2014 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Chas