Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
I "have" Asperger's.
I "have" Asperger's.
... with a 150+ IQ.

In 1953 I had the highest pass mark in London in the 11+ exam (which determined which school I would then go to). I went to a top London Grammar School ... where I was top of the class in most subjects. In my final exams there I got 100% in Maths, Physics, and Chemistry. University beckoned.

One day, whilst in class, I began to feel "unwell". I came close to passing out. When the sensation went away, when I looked at the book in front of me, there was just "marks on paper ". I had lost the ability to recognise letters of the alphabet. When people spoke I just heard "noises" that didn't even sound like language.

By the next day I'd recovered enough to understand what people were saying and to read ... but after four or five words I'd forget what had been said or what I'd read.  This went on for weeks. Tests found that I had "abnormal brain waves".  Because my grandmother had spent decades in a mental hospital with a diagnosis of schizophrenia. I got slapped with the label: "Suspected schizophrenia". It became apparent to me that plans were afoot to have me "committed" ... so I ran away from home. I got to the Scottish Highlands ... where I spent "a period of time" living rough. Not eating. I fully recovered from whatever it was that afflicted me. I went to the police and was sent back home. I didn't return to school. I got a job in a laboratory ... where it was soon realised how smart I was. I attended evening classes. As when I was breezing through school, I was able to understand everything I read ... then I had another "attack"... which I took weeks to recover from. This was when I was 17 ... I've been ok since.

I'm now 81, and in good health. The interesting thing is that I'm extremely "quick witted" and don't look my age ... most people think I'm 60ish.

After the second bout of "whatever it was" I gave up trying for a sophisticated career.

There is one well-known person whose mannerisms, way of thinking, etc. is similar to mine ... Elon Musk.
RE: I "have" Asperger's.
Sounds like you had a stroke then developed a severe case of the bullshits.
People with Asperger's are not more intelligent than anyone else, in fact they might even be less intelligent than the average person, they just have exceptional book smarts, which really doesn't count for much.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
Most of us know ASD's. The reference to Musk comes off as hubris.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(November 21, 2023 at 2:07 am)SeniorCitizen Wrote: There is one well-known person whose mannerisms, way of thinking, etc. is similar to mine ... Elon Musk.

Hopefully you're not the raging twatwaffle Musk is.

(November 21, 2023 at 9:22 am)Ahriman Wrote: People with Asperger's are not more intelligent than anyone else, in fact they might even be less intelligent than the average person, they just have exceptional book smarts, which really doesn't count for much.

And what's YOUR excuse?
(November 21, 2023 at 10:14 am)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote:
(November 21, 2023 at 9:22 am)Ahriman Wrote: People with Asperger's are not more intelligent than anyone else, in fact they might even be less intelligent than the average person, they just have exceptional book smarts, which really doesn't count for much.

And what's YOUR excuse?

Well I don't have good book smarts but my general intelligence is above average, easily.
"Imagination, life is your creation"
Administrator Notice
This is an introduction thread, kids. Mind your manners.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Welcome, SeniorCitizen! Sorry you had to go through all that. Hope you like it here.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Welcome aboard.
As a senior citizen from the UK, do you support the Tories?