Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would happen to the Internet if there were no regulation?
What would happen to the Internet if there were no regulation?
In my latest YouTube video, called
Administrator Notice
Title of video removed due to violation of advertising.
, I used the argument against anarchism that, if not for the government regulation, the Internet would be paralyzed by denial-of-service attacks. I think that, without government regulation, many ISPs would set up their DNS servers to respond to all IP addresses, rather than just the IP adresses they are supposed to serve. That would make it easy for hackers to amplify their denial-of-service attacks, as DNS servers often respond with long responses to short queries. Hackers would simply spoof their IP addresses as if they are of the server they are attacking and make short DNS requests, flooding the server they are attacking with DNS responses to queries it did not actually make. What do you think about that argument? To me, as somebody who has a Bachelor degree in Computer Engineering, that argument seems legit.
RE: What would happen to the Internet if there were no regulation?
You forgot about Skynet. Never forget about Skynet.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(January 27, 2024 at 8:23 am)brewer Wrote: You forgot about Skynet. Never forget about Skynet.

What is Skynet? We weren't taught about it at the university.
(January 27, 2024 at 7:35 am)FlatAssembler Wrote: In my latest YouTube video, called  
Administrator Notice
Title of video removed due to violation of advertising.
, I used the argument against anarchism that, if not for the government regulation, the Internet would be paralyzed by denial-of-service attacks. I think that, without government regulation, many ISPs would set up their DNS servers to respond to all IP addresses, rather than just the IP adresses they are supposed to serve. That would make it easy for hackers to amplify their denial-of-service attacks, as DNS servers often respond with long responses to short queries. Hackers would simply spoof their IP addresses as if they are of the server they are attacking and make short DNS requests, flooding the server they are attacking with DNS responses to queries it did not actually make. What do you think about that argument? To me, as somebody who has a Bachelor degree in Computer Engineering, that argument seems legit.

What a clumsy attempt to get ‘round your personal ban on posting links.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
My thoughts are that an argument against anarchism by way of service interruptions is hilarious, if nothing else.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Hackers are not concerned about regulations and can usually bypass security if they want. Also, I never have seen a news article where hackers ever get caught.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(January 27, 2024 at 9:09 am)FlatAssembler Wrote:
(January 27, 2024 at 8:23 am)brewer Wrote: You forgot about Skynet. Never forget about Skynet.

What is Skynet? We weren't taught about it at the university.

There are many, many things you failed to learn at university. So many, in fact, that I find it hard to believe you ever attended.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
If deregulation of the interwebz meant Flat could no longer post, I’d be all for it.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will quantum computers slow our Internet down? FlatAssembler 5 501 November 16, 2023 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Need info on Internet connection when even cell phone service is iffy arewethereyet 10 998 February 24, 2023 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Ermagerd not Internet Explorer! Rhizomorph13 18 1458 April 6, 2021 at 8:51 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Opinions on "fiber optic" internet? Gawdzilla Sama 31 1897 February 19, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Internet Speed 2018 Iroscato 20 2602 April 19, 2018 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Internet Browser paulpablo 14 1882 May 2, 2017 at 3:48 am
Last Post: Sal
  Iran rolls out domestic internet account_inactive 6 1629 August 30, 2016 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Internet speed, 2015 bennyboy 128 17373 April 22, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  Analogue internet! ignoramus 11 2202 September 11, 2015 at 3:57 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Regarding internet speeds in the US dyresand 4 1207 January 27, 2015 at 6:27 pm
Last Post: dyresand