Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need info on Internet connection when even cell phone service is iffy
Need info on Internet connection when even cell phone service is iffy
I am hoping to go to NC this summer for a visit with some relatives.  The house I am heading to has no Internet and cell service is iffy.  Dad used to live a couple miles away from my destination and all us kids had to find a sweet spot in his yard to get our phones to work.

What are my options to be able to connect to the Internet so I can do some work and stay somewhat connected to the world?  I only need a short term solution.

If it matters...I have Verizon cell phone service.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

RE: Need info on Internet connection when even cell phone service is iffy
You could purchase a hotspot.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

I've been doing some digging. I hate to pay for a device I will use maybe once. I may call OnStar. It's available in my car but I didn't renew it as I don't ever go anywhere. Looks like that may work if I am not locked into a long term contract.

Anyone have experience using OnStar as your hotspot?

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

Talk of Outer Banks has you nostalgic for home?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(February 23, 2023 at 10:20 pm)Tomato Wrote: Talk of Outer Banks has you nostalgic for home?

Not going quite that far.  My favorite aunt asked me a couple months ago if we would ever see one another again.  She doesn't live far from another one of my aunts but they are inland....out in the woods of BFE NC.

If you ever watched Andy Griffith, they mention Siler City...not far from there.

The OBX is now too expensive and touristy for me.

If the cellular network is poor then a mobile hot-spot probably won't work either.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Rent a satellite phone?
You need satellite internet, not just satellite phone.    Something like HugesNet or Star link,   The data plans very broadly go for around $1-5/GB, With savings for plans with larger amount of GB per month.   Down load speed for hugesnet is low compared to most land service, but installation and hardware is free.     Not sure how long the plans go for.      Download speed for Elon Musk’s star link is higher, closer to 4G cellular,  but you pay a substantial amount for the terminals up front.   And Star link service is not available over wide swath of the lower 48.
https://www.hughesnet.com/get-started

https://www.starlink.com/
(February 24, 2023 at 8:38 am)Anomalocaris Wrote: You need satellite internet, not just satellite phone.    Something like HugesNet or Star link,   The data plans very broadly go for around $1-5/GB, With savings for plans with larger amount of GB per month.   Down load speed for hugesnet is low compared to most land service, but installation and hardware is free.     Not sure how long the plans go for.      Download speed for Elon Musk’s star link is higher, closer to 4G cellular,  but you pay a substantial amount for the terminals up front.   And Star link service is not available over wide swath of the lower 48.

I'm not sure, but I think those satellite internet services use phone service for their uplink.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What would happen to the Internet if there were no regulation? FlatAssembler 7 274 January 27, 2024 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Will quantum computers slow our Internet down? FlatAssembler 5 500 November 16, 2023 at 3:42 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Ermagerd not Internet Explorer! Rhizomorph13 18 1458 April 6, 2021 at 8:51 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Opinions on "fiber optic" internet? Gawdzilla Sama 31 1896 February 19, 2019 at 6:00 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Internet Speed 2018 Iroscato 20 2600 April 19, 2018 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  During a time of phone zombies Foxaèr 2 799 July 23, 2017 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Internet Browser paulpablo 14 1880 May 2, 2017 at 3:48 am
Last Post: Sal
  Nokia 3310 mobile phone resurrected at MWC 2017 account_inactive 15 1887 February 27, 2017 at 4:57 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  Iran rolls out domestic internet account_inactive 6 1627 August 30, 2016 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Internet speed, 2015 bennyboy 128 17373 April 22, 2016 at 10:06 am
Last Post: account_inactive