Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spinning Earth
Spinning Earth
The thought just occurred to me that someone would weigh more on either of the poles than they would on the equator!

I wonder what the difference would be?
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Spinning Earth
I found a website on that once, I never visited again afterwards but it was interesting. The variations were very small though.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
What really gets me is that when we stand upright, our heads are going through time at a slightly faster rate than our feet, so technically our heads are slightly older than our feet.
Unless you spend a lot of time laying down like me. Smile

From the Nasa site I found the difference of the spheroid of the poles and the spheroid of the equator is 42km.

The Earth's gravity field is also determined by how the material that makes up the Earth is distributed throughout the Earth. Because gravity changes over the surface of the Earth, the weight of an object changes along with it. The more dense materials beneath your feat, the more pull, the more you seem to weigh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoid
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(February 2, 2009 at 3:40 pm)Tiberius Wrote: What really gets me is that when we stand upright, our heads are going through time at a slightly faster rate than our feet, so technically our heads are slightly older than our feet.

The strange thing is that, from the point of view of a neutral observer, the closer you are to a gravitational field, the slower time passes so indeed our feet would be younger.

However, our heads would also be travelling faster than our feet, and the faster something travels then the slower time passes..

Go figure.. Confused Fall
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
And if you could sit at the centre of the Earth I guess you'd be effectively weightless.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(February 3, 2009 at 6:22 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: And if you could sit at the centre of the Earth I guess you'd be effectively weightless.

Kyu

or just melted
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
(February 3, 2009 at 6:22 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: And if you could sit at the centre of the Earth I guess you'd be effectively weightless.

Kyu

I don't think you'd be weightless, Since gravity is attraction between objects with Mass, you would still be affected by the gravity of everything around you ... slightly different from being in space where weightlessness is caused by a kind of equilibrium between momentum and gravitational pull ... I think.

Sam
"We need not suppose more things to exist than are absolutely neccesary." William of Occam

"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt" William Shakespeare (Measure for Measure: Act 1, Scene 4)

AgnosticAtheist
(February 6, 2009 at 9:32 am)Sam Wrote: I don't think you'd be weightless, Since gravity is attraction between objects with Mass, you would still be affected by the gravity of everything around you ... slightly different from being in space where weightlessness is caused by a kind of equilibrium between momentum and gravitational pull ... I think.

Sam

Your weight is just the NET force on you due to gravity. If you could get into the right position in the centre of the earth (and not burn to death :p ) you would indeed be weightless, since the parts of the earth of each side of you contribute equally and oppositely to the force acting on you.

Of course this neglects the gravitational attractions of everything else in the universe, but Newtonian gravity is an inverse square law, so those contributions are negligible
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
(February 6, 2009 at 9:32 am)Sam Wrote: I don't think you'd be weightless, Since gravity is attraction between objects with Mass, you would still be affected by the gravity of everything around you ...
But in such a way that you'd be pulled equally in all directions: you'd be weightless because there'd be no net force.

(February 6, 2009 at 9:32 am)Sam Wrote: slightly different from being in space where weightlessness is caused by a kind of equilibrium between momentum and gravitational pull ... I think.
Weightlessness in space is caused by a near absence of gravity: you're so far from the Earth (and any other large mass) that the net gravitational field at your position is near zero.

Momentum has nothing to do with it :p
"I am a scientist... when I find evidence that my theories are wrong, it is as exciting as if the evidence proved them right." - Stargate: SG1

A scientific man ought to have no wishes, no affections, -- a mere heart of stone. - Charles Darwin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 559 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The shape of Earth h311inac311 162 25116 December 4, 2022 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Young Earth Creationism LinuxGal 3 809 November 26, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Earth’s energy budget is out of balance Jehanne 5 581 August 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068 WinterHold 52 4352 November 7, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Irresponsible caretakers of Earth ignoramus 50 7313 April 9, 2018 at 8:12 am
Last Post: JackRussell
  What are the rationalizations of flat earth believers? ErGingerbreadMandude 48 6822 January 20, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Familiarity with the Earth Sciences TheBeardedDude 4 1055 August 25, 2017 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 364 55161 August 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Earliest evidence of life on Earth 'found' Minimalist 6 1735 March 1, 2017 at 11:30 pm
Last Post: Minimalist