Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 2:02 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NASA needs more money
NASA needs more money
There was recently an article how rocks from Mars will most likely not arrive to Earth because there are so many other projects that could be accomplished, some of which seem very dramatical (like searching for life in solar system), to useful (looking for dangerous rocks and measuring magnetic field). In other words, scientists are fighting among themselves whose mission will get to space and widen the human knowledge.

Add to that that people are expecting humans to walk on the Moon again very soon which is the least of scientific mission but it is without doubt the most expensive one. And if humans don't walk on the Moon very soon, people will again attack NASA that it's useless, and if they can't put a man on the Moon now then they definitely didn't 50+ years ago.

Here are some highlights from the article

teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
RE: NASA needs more money
I too, need more money.
Half our government wants to give space to elmo, or worse. The idea is that we can invent some alternate history, where all of the things that have come from our public space program would have come from private business anyway, so maybe we should stop giving that money to the spacemen and give it to our biggest donors instead!

What could possibly go wrong?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(May 22, 2024 at 9:51 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: There was recently an article how rocks from Mars will most likely not arrive to Earth because there are so many other projects that could be accomplished, some of which seem very dramatical (like searching for life in solar system), to useful (looking for dangerous rocks and measuring magnetic field). In other words, scientists are fighting among themselves whose mission will get to space and widen the human knowledge.

Add to that that people are expecting humans to walk on the Moon again very soon which is the least of scientific mission but it is without doubt the most expensive one. And if humans don't walk on the Moon very soon, people will again attack NASA that it's useless, and if they can't put a man on the Moon now then they definitely didn't 50+ years ago.

Here are some highlights from the article

The US government only undertakes projects that will 1) make somebody rich, or 2) increase US hegemony over other countries. Going to Mars won't do either of those things.

Let the Chinese do it. They're human, we're all human, it doesn't matter what nation does the science.
Going to space has printed many wealthy people and was instrumental in making the 20th the american century. It may have also had a little something to do with the whole shebang not ending in thermonuclear war (give us time...).

Even by cynical lights it's a no brainer...and that's the trouble. Even the cynics have lost their marbles. The guys who want to carve up space for their donors aren't going to get what they want either - they're just another person getting conned.

That's the real trouble with space as a private venture, imo, what with how the main way to create profit is by exploiting human rather than natural resources..and there just aren't enough people in space for it to be worth the trouble to pick their pockets.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NASA is launching humans again Fake Messiah 34 3192 May 27, 2020 at 11:09 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  NASA denies mars child slave colony Zen Badger 22 6110 July 2, 2017 at 12:12 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Who Needs Fucking God Minimalist 1 726 May 30, 2016 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
Wink Ted cruz to oversee nasa?! Jacob(smooth) 31 7627 January 17, 2015 at 3:25 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  This video needs to be put in context of science Brian37 0 624 November 21, 2014 at 3:17 am
Last Post: Brian37
  NASA Study Concludes When Civilization Will End, And It's Not Looking Good for Us Gooders1002 9 3830 March 22, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  NASA Johnson Style (Gangnam Style Parody) Gooders1002 2 1563 December 19, 2012 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Stay tuned for news from the NASA's Curiosity Mars rover Anomalocaris 9 7369 November 29, 2012 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  NASA - 41 New Transiting Planets in Kepler Field of View Jackalope 11 7977 August 28, 2012 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  NASA 2012 Doomsday response freedomfighter 2 1813 August 12, 2012 at 4:35 am
Last Post: Kayenneh