Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 2:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing my name
Changing my name
Well although my name is Aaron, its not really my official name (long story), and I've been planning on changing it for some time now by deed poll. I have some names in mind in which I would love to have, however, all of them have religious historical backgrounds to them, including 'Aaron' itself.

I know that probably a large number of Atheists will have names like Christian, or David, or Jacob, with the etymology of the names being religious in nature, but would give no regard to it, though I'm sure the majority of the names were names given to them by their parents (although I guess some parents probably don't even know the background of the name).

I think what I'm concerned is that I'm consciously knowing to change my name to one which has a religious background, even though I like the sounding of it. I don't know if I'm being a fusspot about this, but meh, I would like peoples thoughts on this. Should I choose the name I like even though the etymology of the name is religious, or should I keep looking for a secular name I like the sound of?

Thank you Smile

P.S sorry if this is in the wrong topic area.
RE: Changing my name
(April 19, 2011 at 4:03 pm)BeoTurtle Wrote: Well although my name is Aaron, its not really my official name (long story), and I've been planning on changing it for some time now by deed poll. I have some names in mind in which I would love to have, however, all of them have religious historical backgrounds to them, including 'Aaron' itself.

I know that probably a large number of Atheists will have names like Christian, or David, or Jacob, with the etymology of the names being religious in nature, but would give no regard to it, though I'm sure the majority of the names were names given to them by their parents (although I guess some parents probably don't even know the background of the name).

I think what I'm concerned is that I'm consciously knowing to change my name to one which has a religious background, even though I like the sounding of it. I don't know if I'm being a fusspot about this, but meh, I would like peoples thoughts on this. Should I choose the name I like even though the etymology of the name is religious, or should I keep looking for a secular name I like the sound of?

Thank you Smile

P.S sorry if this is in the wrong topic area.

yeah uh, it would help us make an informed suggestion if you told us the name you're considering. Cause quite frankly if it's Jesus ... I highly recommend a different name!
[Image: Evolution.png]

Aha sorry! No no surely not 'Jesus'.

Well, I've been throwing around just changing it to Aaron, Adam, Daniel, Paul or Timothy.
Try picking a name from your ancestral lands?
I've tried looking for English and Scottish names, but as being largely part of Christiandom its hard to find a name in which the etymology is secular, and ones which I like too.
(April 19, 2011 at 4:10 pm)BeoTurtle Wrote: Aha sorry! No no surely not 'Jesus'.

Well, I've been throwing around just changing it to Aaron, Adam, Daniel, Paul or Timothy.

ohhh, ok, I thought Aaron was your christian birth name.

I will admit, it does seem a little odd to want to name yourself such common names regardless of their ties to christianity. Technically, they are all very outdated.

For examply ... I named my son Ronan. My friends have sons named, Bryce, Conner, Wyatt and one even named Major.

At any rate, whatever you choose is going to be fine because it's what YOU chose. Me personally, I would go with something a little more original and unique ... unless of course you don't feel original and unique - but that's a whole 'nother thread.
Cool Shades
(April 19, 2011 at 4:16 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Try picking a name from your ancestral lands?

Thats a good point too.... I'm American, but my ancestry is Irish ... thus my son's name, Ronan.

(April 19, 2011 at 4:16 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Try picking a name from your ancestral lands?
Dave? (pronounced Dayve). Noddy? Or the highly religious...

I mainly chose them as I personally like the sound of them, even if like you said they so sound abit commonish, plus some are the first names of some historical people I admire.

Guess I'll keep looking. Thumb up
(April 19, 2011 at 4:27 pm)BeoTurtle Wrote: I mainly chose them as I personally like the sound of them, even if like you said they so sound abit commonish, plus some are the first names of some historical people I admire.

Guess I'll keep looking. Thumb up

You know its like Bob Dillon said (I believe he was born Robert Zimmerman):

"It's your name for your whole life - you should get to be called whatever you want."

Levitate

What about "Thor?"

Or "Apollo?"

That should piss off the xtians.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Israel The Name Of God? Authari 11 1223 December 31, 2022 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Astreja
  [Shocking Reflection]: Finally, I found Mohammed's name in the Bible and the Torah WinterHold 105 5887 November 26, 2022 at 1:29 am
Last Post: UniversesBoss
Bug What is this? Name that fallacy zwanzig 25 2248 October 15, 2021 at 2:09 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  These Guys Could Give Religion A Good Name. Minimalist 2 804 March 15, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  America’s Changing Religious Landscape. Jehanne 14 3262 January 29, 2018 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What the name of God is. Mystic 73 8470 April 13, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Something about killing in the name of atheism Dystopia 64 13800 April 19, 2015 at 8:58 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Why order people to kill in god's name at all? Chad32 29 7385 February 18, 2014 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  My name, is Mark Dreher, I would like to post an obituary Mark Dreher 64 19616 August 25, 2013 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus
  The meaning of the name "Islam". Edwardo Piet 10 4820 November 5, 2012 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist