Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is God always "just"?
Is God always "just"?
This is based on some stuff I read in this thread: http://atheistforums.org/thread-4428.htm...light=evil
The thread is from last year, so I didn't want to comment on it, and I don't really want to discuss it's actual topic, but more what some of the responses were about. Mainly, the idea that God is always "just" and even the genocide and slaughter of the Old Testament can be justified given that God is always "just", or good.

So the question I'm asking is, if we assume first God is real, then what reason do you have to believe that God is always "just", when he himself seems to deny that.

Out of the mouth of the Most High proceedeth not evil and good? (Lam. 3:38.)

Thus saith the Lord, Behold I frame evil against you and devise a device against you. (Jer. 18:11.)

I make peace and create evil. I the Lord do all these things. (Is. 45:7.)

Shall there be evil in the city, and the Lord hath not done it? (Amos 3:6.)

Wherefore I gave them also statutes that were not good, and judgments that they should not live. (Ezek. 20:25.)
For this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie. (2 Thes. 2:11.)

Now, therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the Lord hath spoken evil concerning thee. (1 Kings 22:23.)

And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet. (Ezek. 14:9).

With the above being in the Bible, how can you claim God is always "just" and cannot "lie"? It seems like God himself refutes that. If the problem is that we aren't capable of understanding how that could be justified, then what's the point, anyway? Why would God deal in such powerful human emotions such as rape and murder, and lies, and expect us to rationalize it somehow when we're not given any tools to do so? I don't see how, even if God is real, you'd want to deal with that in the first place.
RE: Is God always "just"?
No. He intentionally disobeys his own laws and breaks his own moral code. He's an incompetent and mentally insane.
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Really?!? You're actually asking that question?
Should we chime together in unison with the same resounding NO that we've said thousands of times before.
Christians: Your resounding YES will of course be expected.

The non-religious have been using that as a primary argument for ... ever.
Of course the christian god is not just - he never has been. He's douchey.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(April 26, 2011 at 9:13 pm)Cinjin Cain Wrote: Really?!? You're actually asking that question?
Should we chime together in unison with the same resounding NO that we've said thousands of times before.
Christians: Your resounding YES will of course be expected.

The non-religious have been using that as a primary argument for ... ever.
Of course the christian god is not just - he never has been. He's douchey.

Yeah, obviously, but it's a response to the people in that thread saying that god is always just. I want to see someone honestly try to have a serious conversation about how God can be just and never lie, when God himself says he does lie and isn't very just. It's a specific question regarding a specific area of the Bible. I want to see specific ways that someone who believes that God can't be like that can deal with God saying he is like that.
(April 26, 2011 at 9:12 pm)SpatiumTempusque Wrote: No. He intentionally disobeys his own laws and breaks his own moral code. He's an incompetent and mentally insane.

He strikes me as a toddler who has all the cheat codes to life and doesn't really know how to use them very wisely.

Quote:He strikes me as a toddler who has all the cheat codes to life and doesn't really know how to use them very wisely.

As a character, he's not even well thought out! The bible is false and also a terrible piece of literature!
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
(April 26, 2011 at 9:33 pm)SpatiumTempusque Wrote:
Quote:He strikes me as a toddler who has all the cheat codes to life and doesn't really know how to use them very wisely.

As a character, he's not even well thought out! The bible is false and also a terrible piece of literature!

That's probably because it's a clusterfuck of tons of literature from different cultures and societies, who seemingly can't even agree who or what the god is. That's the point of my question. When the Bible says God is always just and never lies, and then God is quotes saying he decieves people and causes bad things to happen, how can certain people rationalize it. I'm honestly curious to know what type of response a Christian who believes God to be always just and truthful gives to God saying he's not always just and truthful. In my opinion it's because some people had a god who created evil and good, and he could be a scary, jealous douche, and other people, especially when society became less nomadic and "civilized" had a god that a bit less of a blood hungry prick. I just want to see how a Christian deals with those very specific parts of the Bible I quoted.
(April 26, 2011 at 9:39 pm)Thewayshemoves Wrote: I just want to see how a Christian deals with those very specific parts of the Bible I quoted.

They will either ignore that bit or tell you that you're not interpreting it correctly.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(April 26, 2011 at 9:44 pm)Zen Badger Wrote:
(April 26, 2011 at 9:39 pm)Thewayshemoves Wrote: I just want to see how a Christian deals with those very specific parts of the Bible I quoted.

They will either ignore that bit or tell you that you're not interpreting it correctly.

Yeah, I usually get that response, I was just kind of hoping there may be some that would at least attempt to explain it a bit better.
(April 26, 2011 at 9:46 pm)Thewayshemoves Wrote: Yeah, I usually get that response, I was just kind of hoping there may be some that would at least attempt to explain it a bit better.

More than likely what you will get is a wall of text that in the final analysis means nothing.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
(April 26, 2011 at 10:01 pm)Zen Badger Wrote:
(April 26, 2011 at 9:46 pm)Thewayshemoves Wrote: Yeah, I usually get that response, I was just kind of hoping there may be some that would at least attempt to explain it a bit better.

More than likely what you will get is a wall of text that in the final analysis means nothing.

You're probably right, it's just a part of me that hopes one day to find someone who doesn't respond like that. I tried, anyway. Sad

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does science always upstage God? ignoramus 940 124168 October 26, 2022 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 6670 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Why are angels always males? Fake Messiah 63 5674 October 9, 2021 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  just another god hypothetical ... ignoramus 55 8172 July 14, 2021 at 3:59 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Always Proof Your Yeast! Fuck Proof of Gods! chimp3 12 2011 September 9, 2018 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Why is Kim Jong-un just like God. ignoramus 3 1602 July 11, 2017 at 8:31 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  Do people hate the actual belief in God, or just the religious organizations? goombah111 101 25705 November 14, 2016 at 4:19 am
Last Post: goombah111
  Information always arises from intelligence goombah111 39 4555 October 31, 2016 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Why do religious people always refer to God for answers. Prince 12 3701 June 1, 2015 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19405 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie