Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:58 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
I Love You Enough to Burn You
I Love You Enough to Burn You
Christians are constantly equating their "relationship to god" to a relationship between a father and his child. Ok, lets play that out for a moment. I will keep the Xtian views as basic (and scriptual) as possible.

Xtian view: God created you. As a child he protects you. He loves you dearly.
My wife and I created a son. He's turning 3 soon. I love him more than life itself.

Xtian view: God doesn't want to punish you, but he has to chastise your evil actions.
I don't like disciplining my son, but I know I have to because I don't want him to be a selfish prick when he's older.

Xtian view: God wants, even commands you to love and respect him.
I do so want my son to love me and I look forward to him telling me that every day.

Xtian view: God gets angry when you deny his existence.
My son has told me that he doesn't like me and he doesn't want to play with me. Admittedly, it hurts.

Xtian views: God, in his hurt and anger, prepares a place of eternal torment for his child.
When my son occassionally hurts my feelings I ..... wait ...... what?

Xtian views: God will some day turn his back on you if you don't tell him you love him.
I could never turn my back on my son or any of my children especially for that.

Xtian views: God will burn you in a place of ultimate terror - as he will for all his children who didn't show love for him.
WAIT WHAT!?!? No matter WHAT my son may have done to me - I could never harm him, let alone burn him for years on end. What the hell? ....o, exactly.

but hey - never forget, god loves you ..... and you deserve hell ................ for being born.
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: I Love You Enough to Burn You
Excellently put! I love the running narrative. It's so funny, that's almost exactly what Rob Bell put on the back of his new book. You're right though, the typical Christian idea of hell just kind of hits you the wrong way logically. I think, "I'm supposed to be the messed up one, but even I wouldn't set someone on fire for disagreeing with me." I think from within a Christian system there are logical defenses for the traditional view (I'm anticipating something to the effect of "Logical?!" from some people here), but I personally like the ideas of Dallas Willard, professor of philosophy at USC. He says heaven and hell start right now. I've definitely know some people who are in hell. Addiction isn't pretty. I also know there are some people I would consider to be almost saints, who are certainly already entering into heaven, like my mother (hey, it's Mother's Day on Sunday). Well, needless to say, not everyone in the Christian camp buys into the narrative you've laid out, though it is pretty common.

*(Did anyone hear about any of that Rob Bell stuff? It was over this issue)
This only raises the question of what the hell kind of definition of love includes everlasting torture.
Say what you will about Adolf Hitler and the Holocaust, or, for that matter, any genocidal individual, but for all the pain he inflicted, somehow a loving being can outdo this for simply failing to kiss his ass?

This scene from one of my favourite films sums up what kind of loving god this is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v90KPJ6n4Ew
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(May 5, 2011 at 8:18 pm)Cinjin Cain Wrote: I will keep the Xtian views as basic (and scriptual) as possible.
Did you forget this bit?
(May 5, 2011 at 9:09 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
(May 5, 2011 at 8:18 pm)Cinjin Cain Wrote: I will keep the Xtian views as basic (and scriptual) as possible.
Did you forget this bit?

Clearly, he did.
(May 5, 2011 at 10:14 pm)Watson Wrote:
(May 5, 2011 at 9:09 pm)fr0d0 Wrote:
Did you forget this bit?

Clearly, he did.

I'm sorry frodo and Watson, what part of what I said isn't in your bible? Your god created hell. Your god will send those whom deny him there. What part is not in the scriptures?

Please PLEASE do deny that that is not what your bible says.
[Image: Evolution.png]

You are becoming a jerk of troll like magnitude CC.

*The Jews... making fundie atheists look like jerks since 6000BC*
Is this seriously an attempt to downplay my epic Purifier healing? Alright, no heals for you. Whine about the burns that are keeping you from bleeding out, and I'll just let you bleed out a while longer.

I am an apathetic healer. You just hit rock bottom of my healing priority. Tank>me>other healers>good dps/support>bad dps>whiny bad dps.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(May 6, 2011 at 5:10 am)fr0d0 Wrote: You are becoming a jerk of troll like magnitude CC.

*The Jews... making fundie atheists look like jerks since 6000BC*

I like the way you avoided his question there frods. Good dodge!
[Image: Mommy-1.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinning, as Jesus and the church say, is good. Turn or burn Christians. Greatest I am 71 5217 October 20, 2020 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Not enough to do anything about it, though. Minimalist 8 1444 May 31, 2016 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The ONLY excuse good enough for God? ronedee 99 8557 June 1, 2015 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Chas
  I Don't Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist Mister Agenda 51 10225 October 6, 2014 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: HopOnPop
  And now (if it weren't already blatant enough) we know... Lucanus 7 2631 August 23, 2014 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Next They'll Be Wanting to Burn Them Minimalist 105 14398 May 3, 2014 at 6:52 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Are you man enough... Ksa 33 7039 December 30, 2013 at 11:25 am
Last Post: Ksa
  I guess they didn't pray hard enough Doubting Thomas 20 8388 October 4, 2013 at 6:26 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas
  Did They Not Pray Hard Enough Minimalist 137 50216 August 7, 2013 at 7:14 am
Last Post: Brakeman
  God cannot love or be Love. Greatest I am 0 1395 December 30, 2011 at 12:49 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am