Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction
Introduction
Hello all,

I am new here and thought I'd do the proper thing and introduce myself. Here's my story:

I grew up in a very religious family, almost cult-like. I always felt guilt growing up, because I could never live up to the standards I was told god had for me and my behavior. I moved out of my parents house when I was 16 and joined the military shortly after I turned 18, against the will of my incredibly religious father, who felt that the only government I should serve is god's government. Even though the military had moved me far from the house and the religion I had grown up in, I still felt constant guilt for not living the godly life that I had been taught to live.

Once my military obligation had been fulfilled, I went to college. Even though I was a very intelligent child, I was discouraged from attending college, because my father felt my time would be better spent serving god, then getting an education. But, I felt it would help me get a better job, so I did it anyway. Once there, I took an Introduction to Anthropology class(mostly because it filled a requirement and fit my schedule), which I thought would be rather amusing, since I knew that evolution was a ridiculous concept. In that class, I was shown the evidence for evolution, which is of course, overwhelming.

Then, it hit me like a ton of bricks! If the religion that I was raised in was wrong about evolution, then it was probably wrong about a great number of things. In a single moment of clarity, all of this guilt, that I had carried for nearly two decades, had been lifted. I cannot tell you how much relief that brought. Life has been a joy ever since. Of course, life always has ups and downs, but my overall outlook is overwhelmingly positive, which is world's different than before I figured things out.

That's my story in a nutshell. Thanks for reading!

DJ
RE: Introduction
Interesting tale. Welcome aboard.
Welcome DJ.

Congratulations on your escape!
Welcome...
Hi
Hello
[Image: Evolution.png]

Hello DJ
Welcome to the forum.
Hello DJ
Welcome to the forum.
Welcome djrams80, have fun poking around.
(May 9, 2011 at 2:34 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Welcome DJ.

Congratulations on your escape!

Escape is a good way to describe my journey.

Also, thanks to everyone for the welcome! Much appreciated!

I describe my religious beliefs as being "somewhere between agnostic and atheist". What I mean by that is this. I am a scientist and because of that, I have learned to look at all of the available evidence and like any good scientist, then determine the most like conclusion based upon that evidence. As of now, the most likely conclusion it that god, all gods, are complete human fabrications. I feel that there is absolutely no evidence to support the existence of any god, so I am basically an atheist. That said, if evidence were to pop up that supports the existence of some god-like being, I would not be so rigid as to cling to my atheistic views and ignore that evidence. That's where the agnostic part of that description is derived from.

Anyhow, thanks again for the warm welcome!
I'm sorry, but that is Tavarish's avatar. It would be hard to welcome you while you look like someone who's already here Smile

Whatever, welcome, just don't ask me to immediately differentiate you from tavarish Smile
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(May 9, 2011 at 3:34 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: I'm sorry, but that is Tavarish's avatar. It would be hard to welcome you while you look like someone who's already here Smile

Whatever, welcome, just don't ask me to immediately differentiate you from tavarish Smile

My bad! I'll change it. I assumed that someone around here must be using it, but since I hadn't come across it yet, I figured I'd give it a go.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introduction Veni 5 734 July 3, 2022 at 7:43 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Introduction Data 9 972 June 19, 2022 at 8:04 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  A (re)-introduction bennyboy 10 1955 June 11, 2022 at 8:35 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  Introduction Disagreeable 15 1417 January 25, 2022 at 2:37 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  atheists - edit to add Introduction ergo 60 3991 November 28, 2021 at 3:15 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Here is My Introduction AtheistQuest 23 2270 August 25, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The End8888 Introduction UniverseCaptain 29 2006 August 12, 2021 at 2:17 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  A little introduction satansprostate 16 1164 June 24, 2021 at 11:42 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
Smile New User Introduction Militant_Atheist 14 978 September 29, 2020 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  introduction Xaventis 29 2902 August 9, 2020 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2