Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 2:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greetings
Greetings
I'm not sure what else to post here, so I suppose my 'religious history' will do.

Religion was never brought up in my home. We didn't go to church and I never heard my folks mention it ever. I still don't know what their beliefs are. When I was around age 14, I became interested in one of the churches in my town out of curiosity. I started going to church alone every Sunday, I joined the youth group, I became a "Bible Quizzer" (and damn, was I good at it). It never felt real to me though. Through all of the Christian summer camps, all of the youth group conferences, all of the bible quizzing finals... I would say that I was TRYING very hard to buy into it. But I just didn't.

My eventual frustration with my inability to understand religion in the same way that my peers at the church did caused me to leave. I just can't wrap my head around how or why they have belief. I don't think that I will find anything to sway me.

In all honesty, I envy them. I don't consider religion a plague as many more militant atheists seem to imply. It's a thing which brings many people comfort and warmth, and I envy them for that.

I hope to become a regular poster here. See you around.
RE: Greetings
Quote:I hope to become a regular poster here.

That will help you get over the "religion is not a plague" problem.

Welcome.
Welcome!

(May 12, 2011 at 12:07 am)Nia Wrote: I don't consider religion a plague as many more militant atheists seem to imply.

Because religion leads to the election of people like John Shimkus. After the last election he wanted to be chair person of the U.S. House Subcommittee on Energy and Environment.

I don’t think that’s the kind of evidence that needs to be considered when making policy decisions.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
It's the kind of "evidence" that needs to be rejected for the fucking drivel it is.

Why would a bunch of lame-ass preachers be called in to testify about energy policy? Why would anyone ask a theologian about anything of substance?

I can't think of a more worthless degree to have than theology.
(May 12, 2011 at 12:32 am)Minimalist Wrote: Why would a bunch of lame-ass preachers be called in to testify about energy policy? Why would anyone ask a theologian about anything of substance?

He wasn’t called to testify before the committee, he’s on it. He wanted to be the chair but all he got was the House Energy Subcommittee on Environment and Economy.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Yeah but it sounded as if he was speaking to the witnesses who were going to testify.

What possible relevance could there be to anything that bunch of fuck wits would have to say?
Welcome, as you can see, most feel free to not imply but actually say what's on their mind.Please feel free to like everyone else around here. Happy posting or lurking, whatever floats your boat.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(May 12, 2011 at 12:23 am)popeyespappy Wrote: I don’t think that’s the kind of evidence that needs to be considered when making policy decisions.

I agree. But I also don't believe you should judge many based on the actions of a few. Even if religion didn't exist, there would still be stupid people in the world. People like him would find other ways to channel their stupidity.

(May 12, 2011 at 5:38 am)tackattack Wrote: Welcome, as you can see, most feel free to not imply but actually say what's on their mind.Please feel free to like everyone else around here. Happy posting or lurking, whatever floats your boat.

Ah, I knew there would be disagreement with that comment to begin with. It's all good. *waves*
Like everyone except you Tack? Aww Consoling

Welcome Nia. There's an original story. We don't get many of those!
Hey Nia, welcome!

I'm curious, how come you don't know what your folks believe? is it kind of a taboo subject?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greetings from Serbia! :) EvolucijaSvesti 12 750 November 16, 2023 at 6:21 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Blessings/Greetings to all here. Nishant Xavier 10 1183 June 15, 2023 at 1:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Greetings deleted 6 812 June 7, 2023 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Greetings!! jonahhockey34 7 1287 October 26, 2022 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Greetings Pnerd 13 1257 May 21, 2022 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Greetings everyone h311inac311 11 1278 May 5, 2022 at 10:56 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Greetings...... PabloTescobar 22 2794 September 15, 2020 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Greetings. Impaler here. impaler 12 997 August 27, 2020 at 6:14 pm