Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ban Vote
Ban Vote
This is unrelated to the edit box - but still a feedback/suggestion for the overall site.

I think it would be cool to have a Ban Vote button that could be placed on a user's profile who has been violating the rules.
Obviously the button could only be placed on there by administrators and the actual banning is still solely their option. But that would give members a chance to make their opinion known about particularly offensive users and also a way to let admins and mods know how the majority feels about the bantor of said members.

Anyway, just an idea.
[Image: Evolution.png]

RE: Editing Box
Ban vote: I think that's a bad idea CC. Especially in this adversarial arena where 95% represent one view: it wouldn't be very balanced. We could've had a thumbs down rep for every post, but it encourages negativity. there's enough negativity without focusing on it any more than we need to.
(May 5, 2011 at 8:02 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Ban vote: I think that's a bad idea CC. Especially in this adversarial arena where 95% represent one view: it wouldn't be very balanced. We could've had a thumbs down rep for every post, but it encourages negativity. there's enough negativity without focusing on it any more than we need to.

I disagree. I have only wanted to ban one person since I joined and I have had debates with nearly everyone. I think the people on this forum are more intelligent than you give them credit for.

Besides, the actuall banning is still left to the admins. The Ban Vote would only be a way of letting them know how everyone feels. (and thats only if everyone was voting in that direction)

How do you differentiate between the usual negative vote against a naturally opposing view and a genuine reason to ban? You already have the Report button to alert staff to misdemeanors.
(May 5, 2011 at 9:13 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: How do you differentiate between the usual negative vote against a naturally opposing view and a genuine reason to ban? You already have the Report button to alert staff to misdemeanors.

Thats what I was referring to when I mentioned that I think the members here are more intelligent than that and that they would not be randomly voting to ban someone they didn't happen to agree with at that particular moment.

Plus, it sounds like you are assuming that everyone has a Ban button at all times. A Ban Vote button would only be issued by an admin when a flagrant violation was made. Random voting because someone didn't agree with you wouldn't exist - or at least it would be very minimal.
I should add frodo that I have disagreed with you on many occassions and I have NEVER wanted you banned for those arguments. That would just be childish and ignorant ... you know .... like a christian forum.

Tongue

I agree that the ban vote is a bad idea. If you want to make your opinion known of someone, rate the user. If you have problem with what they posted, report it. A vote button to ban someone where the admin's have the final say, invites trouble. It gives the appearance that the community has the say so or influence on whether to ban someone. If admin's happen to disagree with the majority, that invites discord between forum community and it's administrators.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(May 6, 2011 at 4:28 am)tackattack Wrote: I agree that the ban vote is a bad idea.

well, just an idea - no big thing

still hoping the edit box could grow a bit though.Thinking

Get Chrome?

Apologies, I missed the detail.
I'm still irritated over not being able to negatively rate people. I still wouldn't do it unless donee to me, but it kind of defeats the idea of having a reputation if your negative reviews are not represented.

That said, democracy is horrid. Never, never, never democracy.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(May 6, 2011 at 4:28 am)tackattack Wrote: I agree that the ban vote is a bad idea. If you want to make your opinion known of someone, rate the user. If you have problem with what they posted, report it. A vote button to ban someone where the admin's have the final say, invites trouble. It gives the appearance that the community has the say so or influence on whether to ban someone. If admin's happen to disagree with the majority, that invites discord between forum community and it's administrators.

Solution - make it something that only mods and admins can see the results, adjust the software so that it appears after the user has been around a while (~2 weeks), and weigh the votes such that users with more rep and/or more post count have a slightly more valuable vote.

The consequence of this is a) people won't be able to see how others voted, preventing group think. However, appeals to ban a person, like in a thread would have to be censored, so as to prevent said group think. b)

In essence, one wants to make the voting system only represent the voter and not the interests of other members. In addition, by delaying the time for a ban-user button to appear allows for initially troublesome posters to redeem themselves.

Perhaps we should make it a "Vote to send <user> to Gauntlet" - this will allow for the community to exercise a little bit more power while participating in subforum "Gauntlet". Thus we can increase the chances for the community dealing with trollish posters in one place and remove the whole "ban this fucker" problem through controlled isolation. If a user in the gauntlet proves to be truly troublesome, the mods and admins can ban them. If not, they can be removed.

Additionally, making this vote system appear only once or twice in the lifetime of a user is advised, such that people may only be sent once or twice to the Gauntlet, but not more. This would prevent spamming the system past reason, would allow for mods to fight vote abuse only twice in a single sitting in theory. Not to mention, if the community sends a person to the Gauntlet twice, either the community is up to no good, or the poster is up to no good. Either way, further inquiry is needed.

And have that button appear in their profile.

Simples.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another thread ban Huggy Bear 38 4021 April 25, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Ban Amnesty? Jehanne 8 1504 June 10, 2022 at 7:57 am
Last Post: brewer
  Question regarding that heavy ban hammer Foxaèr 16 1877 July 28, 2020 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: outtathereligioncloset
  My ban Excited Penguin 20 3018 January 24, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  Can I request a temp Ban for a month? Heywood 119 13221 May 27, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Vote - Sports Section Rayaan 59 14073 September 14, 2013 at 6:31 pm
Last Post: festive1