Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 12:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question regarding that heavy ban hammer
Question regarding that heavy ban hammer
How do the staff determine who is a sock? Is it related to the IP address?

Also, if one buys a new computer or a new phone, does the IP address change? Or does the IP change with the WiFi connection and internet connection?

As a writer, I’m curious.
RE: Question regarding that heavy ban hammer
Random executions.
Dying to live, living to die.
Certainly this forum has noticed my IP address change a lot. I mean, if I ever wanted to create a sock, I could have. Never did, though.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(July 28, 2020 at 8:40 am)Eleven Wrote: How do the staff determine who is a sock? Is it related to the IP address?

Also, if one buys a new computer or a new phone, does the IP address change? Or does the IP change with the WiFi connection and internet connection?

As a writer, I’m curious.

Can’t speak for the rest of staff, but I tend to search the IP addresses within the forum to match a suspected sock with previous users’ posts from the same IP.

As a rule, though, two different user names with the same IP address doesn’t always merit a ban (two family members using the same computer, for example). If there’s no good reason to suspect a sock, we’ll PM the member for an explanation. When a user is quickly banned for being a sock, it’s almost always the case that they were originally banned under another name for a different offense.

IP addresses are geographical in nature, so they won’t change if you get a new computer. Even if your IP changes for legitimate reasons (such as moving) you can continue to log on without fear of being banned. It’s only a different user name with the same IP that raises red flags.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
never mind...
So, say I’m posting on this one forum where I have multiple accounts already. Actually, this is real and in relation to another forum where I’m known to be trouble.

Anywho, I recently created a new account with a new email on a new phone separated from my last residence.

I’m guessing the only way they’ll discover me is if I reveal myself via linguistic recognition, which is unlikely with the forum with this type of traffic.
~ Erin Hunter
If you're a sock there, you're a sock everywhere.

eg: if you're nice to your boyfriend at a restaurant but rude to the waiter, you're still an asshole.

Why I otter ... Cranky
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(July 28, 2020 at 9:37 am)ignoramus Wrote: If you're a sock there, you're a sock everywhere.

eg: if you're nice to your boyfriend at a restaurant but rude to the waiter, you're still an asshole.

Unless it’s the waiter who’s an asshole.
This seems like a thread to learn how to be sock and not be identified as such.

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

I’m certain I could ascertain such information from the World Wide Web.
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another thread ban Huggy Bear 38 3884 April 25, 2023 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Ban Amnesty? Jehanne 8 1489 June 10, 2022 at 7:57 am
Last Post: brewer
  Regarding Seax Foxaèr 3 1108 March 23, 2021 at 10:06 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Question regarding post count Joods 38 5114 September 4, 2017 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  A question regarding alerts. Ravenshire 9 2517 August 20, 2017 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Regarding the post edit time limit of absolute Doom ErGingerbreadMandude 103 9218 August 11, 2017 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  My ban Excited Penguin 20 3000 January 24, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  Can I request a temp Ban for a month? Heywood 119 13116 May 27, 2015 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Suggesting regarding Kudos / Best-of-AF Jackalope 2 2317 January 2, 2012 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Ban Vote Cinjin 20 4024 May 16, 2011 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13