Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Islam following catholic history model?
Islam following catholic history model?
Has anybody else seen any similarities between the rise of Christianity and Islam?

Both Christianity and Islam had good natured, humble beginnings. Both were moderate in the beginning. Both became mainstream after a ruler endorsed it. Both had extremists.

Bear with me here. Both had an extremely constraining set of laws that were only followed somewhat when the people of both areas were unified. Islam with shariah, christians with mosaic. Christians only started persecuting mosaic violators after the rome fell and left a power vacuum, before that being the most powerful and influential empire in history. In the middle east, science flourished, algebra was invented and modern medicine and techniques were learned from the Muslims. Then in the 50s, the extremists started gaining power in every country with a majority muslim population. Shariah law became law in most of those countries already to weak to defend from the inside.

Islam, through my observation, is at the same point in history that the catholic church was for its first 500 years.

This is merely my take on the whole thing, any thoughts?
RE: Islam following catholic history model?
My opinion is that every religion is similar. I don't believe that any religion sprouted from a need to rule and control, but from general ignorance and a wish to make sense of this world. But there are always those who want power and have a need to control people's behaviour, and through religion this can be achieved quite easily. Since Islam is a younger religion than Chritianity, I think your observation is correct. I must admit though, that even if I know the history of Christianity well, I do not know much about Islamic history. Still, I can see some similaities in the extreme fanaticism of muslims today and the crusades of christians. Unfortunately it looks like that 1500 years isn't enough for a religion to become sensible. Even though Christianity has made some breakthroughs concerning i.e. human rights (though not all branches), it's still as ignorant as a religion comes. And somehow I don't see Islam surpassing Christianity on that point, that it suddenly were to become an open minded religion, lacking the violence it does today. If it did, it surely would surprise me..
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

There's an old saying about religion, I forget who said it:

"Religion is regarded by the masses as true,
by the wise and learned as false,
and by the rulers as... useful."
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
A roman philosopher named Seneca said it, but it applies to pretty much every religion.

And I hope that I did not give the impression that I think that Christianity is peaceful, I despise the shit out of it. But I like to draw similarities between religions to prove a point to creationists. Their religion is just as if not more backasswards than every other religion.
(May 19, 2011 at 8:59 am)DeistPaladin Wrote: There's an old saying about religion, I forget who said it:

"Religion is regarded by the masses as true,
by the wise and learned as false,
and by the rulers as... useful."

The phrase appears in Edwrd Gibbons' Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.

Christianity and Islam are bound to have similarities, and I'm not just talking from a historical point of view. Both religions, including Judaism, and other minor religions in the world shared a monotheistic belief. The difference between the religions lies in the practice. Even Hinduism is a monotheistic religion, though it doesn't seem so from those who practice it. You have to go to the source: Bhagavad Gita.
I used to think so, but it isn't true. Islam actively promotes the barbaric as part of the faith and with Allah's dictates. Christianity condemns barbarity.. it's just been manipulated for power.
(May 22, 2011 at 5:16 am)fr0d0 Wrote: I used to think so, but it isn't true. Islam actively promotes the barbaric as part of the faith and with Allah's dictates. Christianity condemns barbarity.. it's just been manipulated for power.

Oh so christians didn't go about burning 'witches' at all did they?
Bottom line is ...that it would appear that Islam is just a latecomer to the whole mono theistic religion monstrosity of belief in the wild spare fairy nonsense. It has no more validation than anything else that humans have come up with in the last 5000 years. Ergo Abrahamic religions are a joke.
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(May 22, 2011 at 6:37 am)Napoleon666 Wrote: Oh so christians didn't go about burning 'witches' at all did they?
Those people might have called themselves Christians, or have followed direction from supposed Christian leadership. but both the direction and the act were clearly never Christ like... something you can't say about an unforgiving Allah.

The two religions have very different moral bases.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Liberal Movement in Islam or Western Islam, the fight against islamic extremism Ashendant 16 7843 December 20, 2019 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: Deesse23
  Some Music History For Saudi Stooges ReptilianPeon 0 381 September 25, 2018 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  Mohammed: model citizen or barbarian? Ex-Muslim reads the Hadiths mralstoner 2 1596 October 23, 2016 at 1:26 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Islam and its History and Impact of Prophet Muhammad(PBUH) yukapuka 161 18921 January 12, 2016 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  IS: "Islam was never a religion of peace. Islam is the religion of fighting" Napoléon 11 5465 May 15, 2015 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Hatshepsut
  History of the Middle East/Islam Book Recommendations? Clueless Morgan 10 4808 October 8, 2013 at 12:08 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Anti-Islam Dutch politician converts to Islam Muslim Scholar 58 33820 May 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Violet