Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No religion protests
No religion protests
Why are there never any anti religious demos ? There are many protests and demos throughout the world for various causes but i think they are a little misguided at times .I attended a stop the war demo in support of the palestinians in gaza recently (my first ever demo) but was dissapointed to see so many "liberal" young people with palestinian flags etc.Dont they know they are flying the flag of a state that supports a religious doctrine as do most states.Given that most (in fact probably all if you look deep enough) conflicts are rooted in religion why dont we stop wasting our time protesting about conflicts and start protesting about the cause of these conflicts. It seems to me if we squeezed religion out of our institutions , states ,goverments and lives then we would probably go a long way to making the world a more stable and wholesome place to live in .
Save the planet.Stop believing in fairies Devil
RE: No religion protests
I am a veteran protester, but I agree with what you are saying.
There is perhaps a problem in demonstrating for a negative i.e. lack of faith.
However, I would nominate easter and xmas as times when demos for atheism might impact significantly.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
Ironically, I was at an anti-Vatican demo today Tongue
(February 14, 2009 at 5:47 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Ironically, I was at an anti-Vatican demo today Tongue
WELL??? don't keep us in suspense....how did it go?
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
It was great fun! Pictures of it are on my blog:

http://atheistblogger.com/photos/march-f...pe-part-1/
http://atheistblogger.com/photos/march-f...pe-part-2/

*Note: Wait until the pages load fully and you will be able to click on any picture and launch a javascript viewer to easily view them all (you can even used right/left keys!)
(February 13, 2009 at 11:42 pm)unconvertable Wrote: Why are there never any anti religious demos ? There are many protests and demos throughout the world for various causes but i think they are a little misguided at times .I attended a stop the war demo in support of the palestinians in gaza recently (my first ever demo) but was dissapointed to see so many "liberal" young people with palestinian flags etc.Dont they know they are flying the flag of a state that supports a religious doctrine as do most states.Given that most (in fact probably all if you look deep enough) conflicts are rooted in religion why dont we stop wasting our time protesting about conflicts and start protesting about the cause of these conflicts. It seems to me if we squeezed religion out of our institutions , states ,goverments and lives then we would probably go a long way to making the world a more stable and wholesome place to live in .
Save the planet.Stop believing in fairies Devil

You are right.The problem is that you as well as the pro-palestinian demonstrators are not aware about the real causes of the conflict considering it as a religious one.The conflict is by far more complex
but in this particular case of Gaza the palestinians are lead by Hamas ,a fanatical islamic movement who wages war against his own brethren governed by the Palestinian Authority.Hamas is a wide recognized terrorist organization financed by Iran.They are not recognized by any arab states except Syria and recent Dubai.They have introduced in Gaza the Shaaria which is a fanatical system of laws which admits public beatings as a punishment and for instance if you are caught steeling ,no matter what you'll have your hand cut off.
Are you eager to get loose of your own head ? No problem ,declare yourself an atheist and the Shaaria will solve your problem you'll be beheaded in no time.You think it'a a joke? Go to Iran and try it .
All those things were deliberately concealed by the organizers of the demo's.
When I lived in Detroit, the Michigan Atheists would stage demonstrations against things all the time. I never made it to one. It usually involved taking off work and going to protest outside the capital against some proposed legislation or some such. They coordinated with American Atheists sometimes too. I bet if you contact the American Atheists, they would put you on a mailing list for such things.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10717 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4906 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19816 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49306 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Afghanistan Koran protests: Eight die on fourth day Nine 36 10849 February 26, 2012 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rokcet Scientist
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5186 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused