Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 1:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The floodgates open even wider
The floodgates open even wider
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hFFXHfh0tnIHWKcr6uJHTpaLmuJg?docId=15e08682c72a44f786d8aee89f86a8e4

Quote:US judge rules against corporate contribution ban
(AP) – 16 hours ago
ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AP) — A U.S. judge has ruled that the campaign finance law banning corporations from making contributions to federal candidates is unconstitutional, saying that a recent Supreme Court decision gives companies the same right to donate as individual citizens enjoy.
[...]
"(F)or better or worse, Citizens United held that there is no distinction between an individual and a corporation with respect to political speech," Cacheris wrote in his 52-page opinion. "Thus, if an individual can make direct contributions within (the law's) limits, a corporation cannot be banned from doing the same thing."

Aaaaaaaggghhhhhh

I'm a businessman and an MBA. I more than get the idea of corporate identity as a useful financial accounting tool. Incorporation helps to keep track of what assets are owned by the company (the "company" being an entity that can own said assets) and what liabilities the company has to vendors, banks and other interest holders. Incorporation is even more necessary when you have "owners" who are countless public stockholders, where ownership fluidly changes hands as stocks are traded. It's a useful financial accounting tool and I can't imagine any alternative.

That's all the concept of corporate identity was ever intended for. It's strictly for keeping track of asset ownership, financial liabilities and tax filing. It was never intended to create these faux people who suddenly need to have their rights protected like real flesh-and-blood people. What's next? Voting rights?

I almost think we need an amendment to the constitution that spells out that corporations are only "persons" with respect to internal financial accounting and tax purposes. They are explicitly not protected by any other freedom or dignity offered by our constitution.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
RE: The floodgates open even wider
You realize most churches I've been to have been incorperated. Perhaps this is a mass push to allow religious groups to influence politics more... OMG... atheist doomsday.... circle the wagons!! Honestly though I agree with your position, and it is just another tool that has become a weapon. It seems the nature of humanity to turn everything towards destructive purposes in the end. I must be geting tired if my pessimism is showing that bad Sad
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(May 28, 2011 at 7:56 am)tackattack Wrote: You realize most churches I've been to have been incorperated. Perhaps this is a mass push to allow religious groups to influence politics more... OMG... atheist doomsday.... circle the wagons!! Honestly though I agree with your position, and it is just another tool that has become a weapon. It seems the nature of humanity to turn everything towards destructive purposes in the end. I must be geting tired if my pessimism is showing that bad Sad

I await the atheist apocalypse
(May 28, 2011 at 7:56 am)tackattack Wrote: You realize most churches I've been to have been incorperated. Perhaps this is a mass push to allow religious groups to influence politics more... OMG... atheist doomsday.... circle the wagons!! Honestly though I agree with your position, and it is just another tool that has become a weapon. It seems the nature of humanity to turn everything towards destructive purposes in the end. I must be geting tired if my pessimism is showing that bad Sad

We'll make you one of us yet, Tacky. An understanding that the world is going to shit is followed by the realization that there is no 'god' to save it.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Tacky Wrote:Honestly though I agree with your position, and it is just another tool that has become a weapon. It seems the nature of humanity to turn everything towards destructive purposes in the end. I must be geting tired if my pessimism is showing that bad Sad

But that's okay, because every human loves explosions! Tiger

Nitroglycerin, gunpowder, nuclear warhead, and other fun things that go BOOM: we love them all! Heart

And also tickling babies... we all love doing that ^_^
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
The motherfuckers are like the herpes!
(May 28, 2011 at 7:56 am)tackattack Wrote: You realize most churches I've been to have been incorperated.

Of course. Putting my feelings about religion aside, it makes sense that a church as an entity is going to own property (the building, etc) as well as have operating expenses that are not billed to an individual but rather to "the church" as an entity.

Non-profit organizations are structured the same way as a for-profit company except that instead of assets, liabilities and owner equity, it's assets, liabilities and the trust fund for future activities of the organization.

It makes perfect sense to think of a company, church or non-profit as an entity that owns property, assets and takes on liabilities, as well as pay taxes separately than from the owners (the down side of incorporation is you effectively have double taxation but that's the price a business owner knows going in). The important thing to recognize is that this is just an accounting tool. Some idiot judges have started to think "They're an entity? Oh, that must mean they're people too with all the rights protected by our constitution." Conservatives love to whine about judicial activism but this is a real example of that kind of thing.
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
The bastards should be taxed the moment they open their mouths about any secular issue.
@DP- It's an accounting tool until something balloons to oh say... Vatican city.

I would say fined min, but potato; pototo
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(May 29, 2011 at 11:50 pm)tackattack Wrote: @DP- It's an accounting tool until something balloons to oh say... Vatican city.

I would say fined min, but potato; pototo

Technically taxed, not fined. There's no law against a church getting political. It's just you lose your non-profit status when you do.

Personally, I say make it easy. Tax them all. Religion is a business, except that businesses produce real products and services.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An Open Discussion on Russian Identity Leonardo17 10 994 December 4, 2023 at 11:54 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  An Open Letter to Congress Secular Elf 14 951 March 4, 2020 at 5:16 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Open borders onlinebiker 263 14812 August 14, 2019 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Americans supporting sexual misconduct survivors even less than before? Rev. Rye 6 951 October 28, 2018 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Even The FOX FUX Have Had Eniough of the Orange Turdfuhrer Minimalist 2 364 October 11, 2018 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Shameless, Even By Trump's Standards Crossless2.0 8 1067 August 29, 2018 at 2:22 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Open Letter to Speaker Paul Ryan....... Brian37 8 2325 October 20, 2017 at 1:29 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  The Republicunt Bullshit Artists Come Out In The Open Minimalist 16 2551 August 25, 2017 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Even "The Economist" Has Figured It Out Minimalist 7 1653 August 20, 2017 at 3:45 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Even Right Wing Polls Can't Prop Up The WLB Minimalist 2 1093 May 30, 2017 at 8:42 pm
Last Post: chimp3