Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tennesee makes it illegal to share passwords.
Tennesee makes it illegal to share passwords.
Tenn. passes Web entertainment theft bill.

Quote:State lawmakers in country music's capital have passed a groundbreaking measure that would make it a crime to use a friend's login — even with permission — to listen to songs or watch movies from services such as Netflix or Rhapsody.

The most telling part of the article:
Quote:Republican Gov. Bill Haslam told reporters earlier this week that he wasn't familiar with the details of the legislation, but given the large recording industry presence in Nashville, he favors "anything we can do to cut back" on music piracy.

So here we have yet another politician that is rubber-stamping whatever legislation corporate greed puts in front of him. I understand the need to keep people from selling passwords in bulk, but this law is entirely too vague.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
RE: Tennesee makes it illegal to share passwords.
The music industry is extremly greedy. Its one of the reasons why I dont want to "make it big" playing my music. I dont want ANYTHING to do with them.

If they could..the music industry would put a quarter machine in your car radio and charge you a quarter per song...and less than a penny of it goes to the artists who made the music.
Pirating music used to be hard, or required a lot of effort. Since the digitization of music, it became as easy as changing bits on a computer. The problem is that the music industry didn't adapt to this change at all, and reacted badly when piracy became commonplace. What they've only just taken on board is that digital music has advantages for them; just look at how much music is sold (legally) through iTunes, and how popular music services such as Spotify and Pandora are becoming. The issue wasn't that everyone wanted music for free, the issue was that everyone wanted music on their digital hardware. If you give people a way of getting it that doesn't involve piracy, a lot of those people will pay for it.
And as it is, to get much music that isn't well known and excellent: you either have to pirate it or go on a rabbit chase through the interwebs only to discover it is only sold in an asian market.

Piracy, on the other hand, is easy as all hell... and a great deal of digital material is immediately available for the stealing.

A lock doesn't stop thieves: it helps keeps honest people honest.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
What??? A politician voting on legislation he hasn't even read? How could this happen????

[/sarcasm]
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(June 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: What??? A politician voting on legislation he hasn't even read? How could this happen????

[/sarcasm]

You mean to suggest they *ever* read what they are voting on? Shock

I don't believe you.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(June 2, 2011 at 9:12 am)Tiberius Wrote: Pirating music used to be hard, or required a lot of effort. Since the digitization of music, it became as easy as changing bits on a computer. The problem is that the music industry didn't adapt to this change at all, and reacted badly when piracy became commonplace. What they've only just taken on board is that digital music has advantages for them; just look at how much music is sold (legally) through iTunes, and how popular music services such as Spotify and Pandora are becoming. The issue wasn't that everyone wanted music for free, the issue was that everyone wanted music on their digital hardware. If you give people a way of getting it that doesn't involve piracy, a lot of those people will pay for it.

Well said and I agree. Im sure Metallica cringes at their past days of suing Napster...seeing that they now make mucho money off of $.99 songs.

I, like most people, do not want to pay $30 for a CD that only has one good song on it.

I would rather pay a dollar for that song.

But personally speaking, I think music should be a free expression...in the free-est sense.

Did I spell that right?
(June 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: What??? A politician voting on legislation he hasn't even read? How could this happen????

[/sarcasm]

I thought the same thing..especially of the Republican persuasion...seems to be a common factor
No way
You ca probably find all music on youtube anyway most of the times
(June 2, 2011 at 10:44 pm)Ashendant Wrote: You ca probably find all music on youtube anyway most of the times

The RIAA & MPAA have already paid for that legislation as well.
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is it illegal to have multiple spouses? FrustratedFool 65 4273 September 23, 2023 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Political caricature: come, post and share. WinterHold 73 4829 November 3, 2020 at 10:33 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Kamala Harris makes history Foxaèr 5 502 August 21, 2020 at 10:31 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Illegal! chimp3 25 1719 April 11, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Illegal Immigration Lek 183 14652 February 15, 2019 at 3:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Illegal Immigrants RoadRunner79 149 19115 June 27, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Almost Makes Me Pine for Reagan's Astrologer Minimalist 6 922 November 28, 2017 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Mueller Makes The First Move Minimalist 31 4408 October 30, 2017 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Illegal Immigration Lek 8 1469 January 16, 2017 at 1:59 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Illinois senator makes racist comment in debate Doubting Thomas 15 1988 October 28, 2016 at 3:30 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas