Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie here :)
Big Grin 
Newbie here :)
Hello, I'm new to the forums and want to introduce myself. Ok so I was never part of a real religion. However I had strong beliefs in
the paranormal such as ghost, psychics, chakras, souls, spirit guides, astral traveling a whole bunch of crazy stuff like that.
But for the past year or so I have been seeing videos on youtube that made me question my beliefs. GoGreen18 was definitely
someone who really got me thinking.
I always doubted and didn't believe the bible. But I followed some ideas from it such as the belief in Jesus. I only went to church
once in my life but strongly believed in Jesus and God. At around 14 I became very spiritual, that's when I got into meditating and even
attempting to communicate with spirits. I know it sounds crazy but I was into that stuff.
But I just lost all faith in that stuff and started becoming down to earth. I stopped believing in the nonsense when I realized even though
I don't support the bible I had the same mindset as Christians. I looked down on those who didn't practice what I did. I saw them as "not as
evolved as me". I had a holier than thou attitude. But as I said, watching youtube videos about atheism humbled me and my beliefs. I admit,at
first these videos upset/angered me and hurt me. But it was for the best. I started accepting the fact my beliefs are most likely false and there may not
be an afterlife. Lately I started accepting these as facts and I found a strong sense of freedom from it. I honestly thought that spirits and
spirit guides were watching me ALL THE TIME. I know it is quite silly but it was more serious than it sounds. Imagine going to the bathroom,
showering, and other personal business while genuinely believing someone is watching you. It got to the point I couldn't even dance in my
room by myself which sucked because I loved to do that. I felt like this for nearly a year. But now I'm free! Smile
I also feel a little afraid from leaving my beliefs. In a way it's scary to let go of these long held beliefs and think of dying as the end of your, well,
everything. Plus I'm scared of what others think of me, I feel as though they will think I'm "evil." and I plan to stay closeted about this for a while especially
towards my mom. So I thought I would join an atheist forum to feel accepted and get support.

RE: Newbie here :)
(June 14, 2011 at 5:56 am)BlackBow Wrote: Plus I'm scared of what others think of me, I feel as though they will think I'm "evil."

Don't worry... It feels so good to be evil.
Even Pope Benedict has an evil side. Wink
[Image: atheism_motivational_poster_41.jpg]
Quote:"I think it's perfectly possible to explain how the universe came about without bringing God into it, but I don't know everything, and there may well be a God somewhere, hiding away. Actually, if he is keeping out of sight, it's because he's ashamed of his followers and all the cruelty and ignorance they're responsible for promoting in his name. If I were him, I'd want nothing to do with them."
— Philip Pullman
Hi there! Welcome to the forums! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome to you, and props for how brave a step it is for you to do this.
Trying to update my sig ...
Thank you everybody for your kind welcomes Big Grin
Welcome. From the testimony I've heard I think it's natural for anyone to be apprehensive about leaving their beliefs but you will become more comfortable with it over time. I understand your need to stay in the closet on your beliefs but I suggest once your comfortable with your new identity that you tell people. We need to show people that not all atheists are demonic, morally absent, murdering baby rapers.
[Image: violent-smiley-1516.gif]

Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Quote:Plus I'm scared of what others think of me, I feel as though they will think I'm "evil."

Until you start throwing rocks at the heads of "unbelievers" you will never be "evil."

Hi, there.
Thank you Minimalist and FaithNoMore. Your words help :]
hello, you were a very wierd kid.
Live every day as if already dead, that way you're not disappointed when you are. Big Grin
(June 14, 2011 at 4:43 pm)JohnDG Wrote: hello, you were a very wierd kid.

Tell me something I don't know lol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey all... newbie decloaking! wchanley 33 3256 February 19, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Newbie from UK Lucian 4 821 September 9, 2022 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Newbie from UK Lucian 4 911 September 9, 2022 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Lucian
  Hi from a newbie here TrueNorth 16 1216 August 10, 2022 at 4:32 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Another newbie:) Agnostic1 7 910 November 18, 2021 at 10:12 am