Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 6:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Guilty Musical Pleasures
Guilty Musical Pleasures
OK,

Who dares to admit those songs they like but would rather not because they don't really like (or want to like) a particular group or something about the lyrics.

I ask this as I listen to The Osmonds, "Let me In" ... great song but I still kinda cringe inwardly that I like it especially when you consider that the words (which I take as being those of a love song) could as easily be a song to a god of some kind. Truth ... I actually once liked their concept album, "The Plan".

Some other ones I can think of are...

Blue, "All Rise"
Ronan Keating, "When You Say Nothing At All"
Kylie Minogue, "Can't Get You Out Of My Head"

... and (seriously cringeful) ...

John Travolta & Oliva Newton John, "Summer Nights" & "You're The One That I Want". Confusedhock:

.... it's so very embarrassing.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: Guilty Musical Pleasures
--I STILL like ABBA.

(really)

@Kyuuketsuki: That you like "our sweet Livvy" is an indication of discerning taste. That you like Vinnie Barbarino probably indicates an undiagnosed mental illness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinnie_Barb..._Barbarino
(February 27, 2009 at 7:37 am)padraic Wrote: I STILL like ABBA.

My pet hate ... the nation (UK) seems to be going crazy on them and I feel like the last bastion of sanity.

(February 27, 2009 at 7:37 am)padraic Wrote: (really)

Don't they do pills for that kind of thing? Wink

(February 27, 2009 at 7:37 am)padraic Wrote: @Kyuuketsuki: That you like "our sweet Livvy" is an indication of discerning taste.

Well only in "Grease".

(February 27, 2009 at 7:37 am)padraic Wrote: That you like Vinnie Barbarino probably indicates an undiagnosed mental illness.

I'd never even heard of that show/character ... I must admit that despite his Scientology leanings I do quite like Travolta.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!

I have no qualms whatsoever about my music taste. I think 80% of all music in every genre ever made is utter crap, but those 20% that I do like I will continue to like until the day I die.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(February 27, 2009 at 9:05 am)leo-rcc Wrote: I have no qualms whatsoever about my music taste. I think 80% of all music in every genre ever made is utter crap, but those 20% that I do like I will continue to like until the day I die.

Nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh, Nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh, Nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh, Nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh, ... and we enter the Twilight Zone! ... very suspicious that you don't actually reveal your guilty secrets!!!!!!!!

Kyu
Angry Atheism

You want examples?

I like Italo Disco, Koto is one of my favorites.
I like High Energy, love Donna Summer's "I feel love" in the Patrick Cowley remix
I like Yellow, the race
I like Lilly Allen, LDN
I like Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth
I like N.E.R.D
I love They Might Be Giants (Birdhouse in your soul is my ringtone)
And the most obvious one for me is I am a Juggalo, Insane Clown Posse. I even have a fansite for them.
Need more?
I should mention "Tokyo Ghetto Pussy" and "Gabba Front Berlin" for the house side as well.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Recently someone did a masquerade skit with a Kelly Osbourne song and as a result I love it. :/
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
@Leo I've never heard of any of those.

Are you fan of "La Sorelle Bandiera"Angel

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorelle_Bandiera
@kyu?

Just a wild guess You're under 50? Dodgy

I thought ONJ was great in "Grease", I fancied her rotten for years, especially when she brought out " Let's Get Physical". Most Aussie males of my generation I know still think the world of Livvy.

I've actually admired Travolta as an actor,since "Pulp Fiction". (although I think the film, like that pretentious wanker Tarantino is grossly overrated)

As for Abba,I remember when they first came out.I thought and still think Benny Andersson and Bjorn Ulvaeus especially were brilliant musicians and the best popular composers of their era. Besides,I thought Agnetha had a superb arse which I could admire all day.Cool Shades
(February 27, 2009 at 8:31 pm)padraic Wrote: @Leo I've never heard of any of those.

They Might be Giants made the theme song for Malcolm in the Middle if you've seen that.

On the topic of TV shows, is it odd that at the age of 19, I still find the Chuckle Brothers hilarious?
Galileo was a man of science oppressed by the irrational and superstitious. Today, he is used by the irrational and superstitious who claim they are being oppressed by science - Mark Crislip
(February 28, 2009 at 3:56 am)lilphil1989 Wrote: On the topic of TV shows, is it odd that at the age of 19, I still find the Chuckle Brothers hilarious?
Heck, I'm 20 and I still find them hilarious. To-me to-you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is your movie guilty pleasure? arewethereyet 51 3704 December 18, 2022 at 12:42 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Harvey Weinstein guilty of rape charges, turns himself in dimitrios10 0 268 May 26, 2018 at 8:48 am
Last Post: dimitrios10
  Pleasures Thumpalumpacus 41 3791 January 4, 2018 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Pet pleasures Thumpalumpacus 246 20806 November 12, 2016 at 2:38 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  What is your guilty pleasure? RozKek 18 2459 August 27, 2016 at 4:11 am
Last Post: rado84
  What are some of your ultimate guilty pleasures 1994Californication 51 4716 April 3, 2016 at 5:06 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Question WM3: Were they guilty as charged? Aractus 4 4251 May 26, 2015 at 11:38 pm
Last Post: Aractus
  Guilty pleasures: What low brow pursuits do you have to hide? Whateverist 77 8484 December 19, 2014 at 6:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  My guilty pleasure... SteelCurtain 9 2520 June 26, 2014 at 12:29 am
Last Post: c172
  Okay, I guess I'm guilty. Who else here thinks two spacing is correct? Whateverist 33 4627 April 22, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: Cinjin