Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just another newbie.
Just another newbie.
Hi, I just happened to run across this forum. I'm not an atheist (not that there's anything wrong with that) Deist probably describes me best.
However my main personal goal is to be as genuinely objective as I can be. Just what is it that I know, and what is it that I believe, and I find that atheists can be intelligent and observant, and will challenge you at the first sign of BS.
RE: Just another newbie.
Welcome (albeit from another noob!)
I can only speak for myself, but I quite like theists who aren't so sure of themselves and their self-righteous faith that they laugh at my impending eternity in torment, so a deist should have little to worry about from me!
[Image: BlogSig.png][Image: sigimage.php?un=DaveD&t=182116&c1=7f5217...&c4=7f5217]
(June 24, 2011 at 10:37 pm)kosmicdebris Wrote: However my main personal goal is to be as genuinely objective as I can be.

And just how do you hope to accomplish that?

Welcome, stick around for awhile.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
Screw being genuinely objective... just what *is* being objective?

Welcome, you silly person Heart
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Welcome kosmic.

Is it a summer thing? A lot of deist activity this month.

[Image: Evolution.png]

(June 24, 2011 at 10:37 pm)kosmicdebris Wrote: Hi, I just happened to run across this forum. I'm not an atheist (not that there's anything wrong with that) Deist probably describes me best.
However my main personal goal is to be as genuinely objective as I can be. Just what is it that I know, and what is it that I believe, and I find that atheists can be intelligent and observant, and will challenge you at the first sign of BS.

Though I am not an atheist, I claim right to welcome all newcomers because my wife is (marital unit and all).

Welcome a-forum, Kosmicdebris. I hope you find the conversation to be stimulating and entertaining from all directions. (I won't use the phrase "both sides of the aisle" as there are more positions than atheism v. Christianity/Islam/Judaism. I am still protesting in my signature line for a banner for those like me; perhaps a sprinkling of pentacles, like the "agnositc" banner with its question marks. I don't really think the "theist" banner provided here is really appropriate to me. (The folk that banner represents like to hold periodic marshmallow roasts of folk like me.)

James

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hey all... newbie decloaking! wchanley 33 3270 February 19, 2023 at 1:08 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Newbie from UK Lucian 4 826 September 9, 2022 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Newbie from UK Lucian 4 911 September 9, 2022 at 5:57 am
Last Post: Lucian
  Hi from a newbie here TrueNorth 16 1218 August 10, 2022 at 4:32 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Another newbie:) Agnostic1 7 911 November 18, 2021 at 10:12 am
Last Post: T.J.