Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 2:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STS-135: The last Space Shuttle mission.
STS-135: The last Space Shuttle mission.
In about 2 hours (if the weather holds) I will have seen the first and last space shuttle launch.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
RE: STS-135: The last Space Shuttle mission.
Yeah, it's a shame really. Shuttle launches are a major landmark in my memories of childhood in S. FL. It's difficult for me to understand why we've let this particular program languish. Seem to be so many other things we could have abandoned instead. Hope the weather holds, enjoy the launch, those boosters are downright beastly.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Beautiful launch, just a slight delay on the platform.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(July 8, 2011 at 9:41 am)Rhythm Wrote: Yeah, it's a shame really. Shuttle launches are a major landmark in my memories of childhood in S. FL. It's difficult for me to understand why we've let this particular program languish. Seem to be so many other things we could have abandoned instead. Hope the weather holds, enjoy the launch, those boosters are downright beastly.

Well, at least America's currently on speaking terms with Russia, and at least they're letting us share Soyuz with them until we can get our new program finished.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
::wonders what the cost per mile will end up being::

Taxi's are bad enough, space taxi?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
This kind of pisses me off. With all of the potential budget cuts the U.S. could go for, they chop the shuttle program. It just goes to show that if it isn't helping develop weapons or line the pockets of the rich, it isn't important to the U.S.
What makes you think that the space program wasn't instrumental in weapons development? A booster that can lift a shuttle can lift a significant nuclear payload. Lets not even talk about the shuttles ability to be refit as a "frigate in space"..talk about aerial dominance..lol.
(July 8, 2011 at 1:32 pm)Rhythm Wrote: What makes you think that the space program wasn't instrumental in weapons development? A booster that can lift a shuttle can lift a significant nuclear payload. Lets not even talk about the shuttles ability to be refit as a "frigate in space"..lol.

I'm not saying it isn't responsible for mind boggling technology, which is my gripe with it ending, they just don't produce the weapons. The military has its own masterminds. NASA doesn't have a monopoly on brains.
Shell Wrote:I'm not saying it isn't responsible for mind boggling technology, which is my gripe with it ending, they just don't produce the weapons. The military has its own masterminds. NASA doesn't have a monopoly on brains.

No... that would be the Meklar-Silicoid alliance in this hectagrant. Smile

I'm not at all upset that nonsense about space has been aborted. Space is not kind to your race. Space is not pleasant. Space is only for those who are prepared for it.

Your world is fractured to the point that you'd be as much your own enemy as us.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(July 8, 2011 at 1:34 pm)Shell B Wrote: I'm not saying it isn't responsible for mind boggling technology, which is my gripe with it ending, they just don't produce the weapons. The military has its own masterminds. NASA doesn't have a monopoly on brains.

But it seems to have a monopoly on pulling off interplanetary stunts the military can only dream about for the price of a song.

Which qualifies for mastermind to me.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  James Webb Space Telescope pics pocaracas 18 2234 December 8, 2022 at 3:00 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Last Lunar Eclipse (until 2025) going on right now! Jehanne 15 1590 November 12, 2022 at 7:42 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  A Simple Demonstration of Space/Time Relativity Rhondazvous 14 2563 August 26, 2019 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: Vince
  Space Shuttle video site zebo-the-fat 0 506 October 6, 2018 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  No perfect circles in space... Jehanne 42 7179 July 23, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Trump space force: US to set up sixth military branch zebo-the-fat 47 6941 June 22, 2018 at 10:09 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Cassini's Last Days Clueless Morgan 26 6900 September 14, 2017 at 9:06 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  How Do Scientists Know It's Space Expanding Not Galaxies Moving? Rhondazvous 43 9866 August 18, 2017 at 10:53 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Space-Time: The Bopdie Twins: If Space is Expanding Isn't Time Expandin Too? Rhondazvous 14 1725 August 2, 2017 at 8:06 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  POLL: Is Space Continuous or Discrete? Severan 4 1848 July 14, 2017 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Iroscato