Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"The Teen Suicide Epidemic"
"The Teen Suicide Epidemic"
http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/07/...ide?page=1

I don't always agree with Mother Jones, nor do I hold with blaming Bachman for everything (much as I'd love to), but I do want to point out the things these right-wing candidates allow to fester in their communities.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: "The Teen Suicide Epidemic"
Bachmann is just the talking head for arrogant xtian bigots. Only xtians would take her seriously.

Which says far more about them than it does about her.
That makes me want to punch someone in the head.
Suicide is a subject that is very dear to my heart having survived my own suicide attempt only to experience my best friend kill himself 2 1/2 years later. It is a much bigger problem than most people realize and has many contributing factors. Self-loathing is a large contributor to the mental state that can lead to suicide. The pervasive notion propagated by the religious and their political counterparts that homosexuality is an abomination unto god, merely serves as an excuse for kids to bully each other and another reason for a young person just starting to figure out his/herself to have self-hatred.

The fact that all of this is being largely ignored gives us a hint into the motivations behind the people pushing this accepted hatred. Since they believe that sexuality is a choice, I'm sure they believe that people are bringing this upon themselves. The fact that they are even ignoring the bullying against people who are only perceived as homosexual, just shows how far they will go to push their agenda, and how little they actually care for the individual.

This official condemnation of homosexuality by political and religious authorities needs to be exposed for what it is, hatred and bigotry disguised as a moral agenda to make the world a holier place.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Here's a part of the article that confused me:

Quote:In November, Samantha started to cheer up, and Michele started to think she had turned a corner. Over Veterans Day weekend, she bought Samantha some new clothes, which, to her surprise, were a hit. On Veterans Day, they made plans to play football in the backyard and to grill outside. Michele and her boyfriend, John, went to the store to rent a movie and pick up some food. When they pulled into the driveway a half-hour later, John heard the gun shot.

Does anyone on this board know anything about the psychology of suicide? Is it common for a suicidal person to have a bounce back in his or her mood (or an apparent one)?
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
(July 26, 2011 at 4:56 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: Here's a part of the article that confused me:

Quote:In November, Samantha started to cheer up, and Michele started to think she had turned a corner. Over Veterans Day weekend, she bought Samantha some new clothes, which, to her surprise, were a hit. On Veterans Day, they made plans to play football in the backyard and to grill outside. Michele and her boyfriend, John, went to the store to rent a movie and pick up some food. When they pulled into the driveway a half-hour later, John heard the gun shot.

Does anyone on this board know anything about the psychology of suicide? Is it common for a suicidal person to have a bounce back in his or her mood (or an apparent one)?

Absolutely. When one makes the decision to kill themselves, the burden of life is lifted from them and they will seem to finally have found happiness. It is because they know the pain is going to end. I hung out with my best friend the day before he killed himself and he seemed to be coping fairly well for the situation he was in. It was only because he had already decided to kill himself, and he came home to hang out with me one last time.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(July 26, 2011 at 5:03 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: Absolutely. When one makes the decision to kill themselves, the burden of life is lifted from them and they will seem to finally have found happiness. It is because they know the pain is going to end. I hung out with my best friend the day before he killed himself and he seemed to be coping fairly well for the situation he was in. It was only because he had already decided to kill himself, and he came home to hang out with me one last time.

So if I know a friend or have a loved one who is depressed and then suddenly has an inexplicable rebound, this could be a warning sign? What, from your experience, could be done or said to find out and break that cycle before it's too late?

I'm glad you're here with us (edit to clarify: that you survived and didn't deprive yourself and everyone else).
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
Yeah..thats teabaggers for you. Notice how they blame the victim....notice how the switch everything around
(July 26, 2011 at 5:10 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: So if I know a friend or have a loved one who is depressed and then suddenly has an inexplicable rebound, this could be a warning sign? What, from your experience, could be done or said to find out and break that cycle before it's too late?
I too have suffered/am suffering from depression and have contemplated suicide at multiple points during my life. It isn't a nice journey; you become very depressed for weeks and then feel very positive when you make the decision to go through with it. I was lucky to be pulled back from the brink by my friends, so I've never got to the point where I actively tried to harm myself, but I've been in the phase where I could have easily done something, and whilst you still feel down and depressed, you have a weird sense of being.

People don't bounce back from depression quickly. If they do, they are either going to quickly sink back into it (i.e. it is a temporary uplift), or they are planning to end their lives and feel positive about making such a decision. It should be taken as a warning sign; just let them know you are there for them, and that if they need to talk to you at any point, they can.
(July 26, 2011 at 5:10 pm)DeistPaladin Wrote: So if I know a friend or have a loved one who is depressed and then suddenly has an inexplicable rebound, this could be a warning sign? What, from your experience, could be done or said to find out and break that cycle before it's too late?

Yes, an inexplicable, quick turnaround can be cause for concern. If you are really concerned about the person, there is always involuntary hospitalization, but that should only be done when there is a great fear the person will harm themselves. If the person does not have professional help, i.e. a psychiatrist or therapist, urge them to seek it out. If someone already has professional help, then the best thing is to talk to them about how they're feeling and show them that you care for them. Avoid being confrontational at all costs as it will just cause more issues. Suicidal people feel alone in the world and the best thing you can do for them is to show them that you are with them in the fight.

Depression is a hell of a thing though, and if someone is determined to kill themselves it is very difficult to stop. The best thing is to prevent them from getting to that point.

DeistPaladin Wrote:I'm glad you're here with us (edit to clarify: that you survived and didn't deprive yourself and everyone else).

Thanks, I appreciate that, but to be honest, sometimes I wonder if it was a good thing. I am very content in my life now and my depression is pretty much under control. Is my life now worth all of the pain I've endured? I would say yes, but sometimes I'm not so sure.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Robin Williams dies at 63 apparent suicide Manowar 2 1034 August 12, 2014 at 9:31 am
Last Post: Manowar
  5 Suicide bombers launch attacks in Mali cratehorus 3 1582 May 11, 2013 at 7:00 am
Last Post: festive1
  Rick Warren's Son Commits Suicide DeistPaladin 16 8000 April 16, 2013 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Violet
  Disabled Gay teen burned alive at a BDAY party, perp gets 3years? Mystical 54 12294 March 27, 2013 at 9:37 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Oklahoma Sentences Teen to Attend Church festive1 21 8463 November 19, 2012 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
Question Assisted suicide? Napoléon 65 15250 January 10, 2012 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Bristol Palin earns money for teen pregnancy PREVENTION reverendjeremiah 8 3241 April 7, 2011 at 5:25 am
Last Post: theVOID