Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:19 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you an assertive atheist or a passive one?

Definition.

Passive atheist. One who does not actively seek out theists to try to convert them.

Assertive atheist. One who will actively seek out theist and try to convert them.

Please tell us why you do as you do.

Regards
DL
RE: Are you an assertive atheist or a passive one?
Loaded, so sneakily loaded. As if there were only two options here anyway.... are you an assertive or a passive one?

See? Smile

And I am not answering that question of yours... since you seem to still struggle with the basic concepts.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
I am somewhere in between, I don't actively seek people out, however I am vocal and very aggressive when it comes to discussions. I rather enjoy making people uncomfortable by discussing religion regularly and with the utmost cynicism. I suppose I am somewhat assertive, but not like jehovahs witnesses or anything. I do not instigate conversations with people who do not wish to have them, nor do I in any way hound people who withdraw.
"In our youth, we lacked the maturity, the decency to create gods better than ourselves so that we might have something to aspire to. Instead we are left with a host of deities who were violent, narcissistic, vengeful bullies who reflected our own values. Our gods could have been anything we could imagine, and all we were capable of manifesting were gods who shared the worst of our natures."-Me

"Atheism leaves a man to sense, to philosophy, to natural piety, to laws, to reputation; all of which may be guides to an outward moral virtue, even if religion vanished; but religious superstition dismounts all these and erects an absolute monarchy in the minds of men." – Francis Bacon
(September 3, 2011 at 9:12 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Loaded, so sneakily loaded. As if there were only two options here anyway.... are you an assertive or a passive one?

See? Smile

And I am not answering that question of yours... since you seem to still struggle with the basic concepts.

And he/she thought know one would notice how loaded the question is.

Quite silly.
Nothing is your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull. - George Orwell
I guess I am kinda defensive because of the lunatics surrounding me. I don't force my views upon them, but they do try to force theirs upon me. When they do, I just start asking them a million and one logical questions that they can't answer, and then give up.

One day my Aunt, who is a member of a Christian "super church", asked me how I knew about evolution etc, to which I replied that I have learned about it from reading books. She then fired back that I "shouldn't believe everything I read." This coming from someone who claims to read and believe the new testament. Since these are the kind of people I deal with, I find it exhausting to even consider trying to make them think scientifically, and convert them from their irrationality, to free thought and careful examination of evidence. It's just pointless... don't you think?

I'll not give into this trap of yours for you to take me as a fool. (of which you may already)
Exceedingly few things in life are that black and white, Greatest I am. You have set up a false dichotomy. A continuum is more realistic.
Religion is not the answer-it is the problem. Everything considered, we would be better off without it.~Baubles of Blasphemy~Edwin F. Kagin

"Much better to have the ability to think critically, than the ability to quote scripture. One says you have a functioning mind. The other says you're a parrot." -- The Secular Buddhist
I'm passive-aggressive: I yell at them about something else!
(September 3, 2011 at 9:06 pm)Greatest I am Wrote: Are you an assertive atheist or a passive one?

Definition.

Passive atheist. One who does not actively seek out theists to try to convert them.

Assertive atheist. One who will actively seek out theist and try to convert them.

Regards
DL

I don't agree with your definitions. I'd use 'assertive' and 'aggressive' .

I consider any form of proselyting aggressive and obnoxious.

I try to be assertive: I have no interest in deconverting anyone,mainly due to indifference.However, I'm perfectly willing and able to defend myself if anyone gets in my face.
(September 3, 2011 at 9:12 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Loaded, so sneakily loaded. As if there were only two options here anyway.... are you an assertive or a passive one?

See? Smile

My definitions I kept simple. If you cannot understand those basic positions then-------just who is stuggling?

Regards
DL
(September 3, 2011 at 9:14 pm)SleepingDemon Wrote: I am somewhere in between, I don't actively seek people out, however I am vocal and very aggressive when it comes to discussions. I rather enjoy making people uncomfortable by discussing religion regularly and with the utmost cynicism. I suppose I am somewhat assertive, but not like jehovahs witnesses or anything. I do not instigate conversations with people who do not wish to have them, nor do I in any way hound people who withdraw.

Good. Those last remarks would show what I call aggresion, not assertiveness.

Why do you do it?

Regards
DL

(September 3, 2011 at 9:55 pm)aleialoura Wrote: I guess I am kinda defensive because of the lunatics surrounding me. I don't force my views upon them, but they do try to force theirs upon me. When they do, I just start asking them a million and one logical questions that they can't answer, and then give up.

One day my Aunt, who is a member of a Christian "super church", asked me how I knew about evolution etc, to which I replied that I have learned about it from reading books. She then fired back that I "shouldn't believe everything I read." This coming from someone who claims to read and believe the new testament. Since these are the kind of people I deal with, I find it exhausting to even consider trying to make them think scientifically, and convert them from their irrationality, to free thought and careful examination of evidence. It's just pointless... don't you think?

I would say that as you get defensive, your assertiveness comes out.

To your last. No. It is not pointless.
It shows you have a social conscience.

Regards
DL
(September 4, 2011 at 2:15 am)padraic Wrote:
(September 3, 2011 at 9:06 pm)Greatest I am Wrote: Are you an assertive atheist or a passive one?

Definition.

Regards
DL

I don't agree with your definitions. I'd use 'assertive' and 'aggressive' .

I consider any form of proselyting aggressive and obnoxious.

I try to be assertive: I have no interest in deconverting anyone,mainly due to indifference.However, I'm perfectly willing and able to defend myself if anyone gets in my face.

So you do not actively seek theists out then?
You do not go to the more religious sites or dialog with those here, if any, who are giving a theistic view?

Regards
DL
To those who did not answer and others who see my question as a trap of some kind, thanks for your replies.
I may have KIS the question to much for you.
Then again, if you cannot answer simple questions then-------

Regards
DL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One in six clergy in holland either agnostic or atheist. downbeatplumb 19 7038 August 7, 2011 at 2:01 am
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused