Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forbidden Acts Against Religion
Question 
Forbidden Acts Against Religion
http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/rel...9/06/26460

I would like to hear everyone weigh in on this, but especially theists.

According to the Qu'ran and the Bible (Leviticus 20:13), this sort of thing is fully justified in the eyes of God/Allah.

Science tells us that a person's sexual preference is largely due to a genetic predisposition. Since we know that, it pretty much means that God created homosexuals, so why does he hate them so much?

It appears to me that Muslims are being better Muslims because they don't just carry their book around, taking only parts of it seriously. Muslims are doing what their book tells them to do. Most Christians, while they hate homosexuals, aren't trying to put them to death for having gay sex.

How can Christians stand behind the Bible, and yet not follow it's words? I am not at all saying that I want Christians to start putting homosexuals to death, but what I am saying is if you're not going to do it, take it out of the bible. It would be a dangerous thing if someone young/impressionable, or perhaps mentally ill were to read this and take it seriously.

If you're going to call it the word of God, and not do what the word of God says, then why cling to it? Why defend it?

RE: Forbidden Acts Against Religion
I would say that it's because the Christians see the Bible as the inspired word of God rather than literal. You also have this whole thing with the new testament and Jesus making a new covenant with man, or something. I'm sure someone can put me right here. Therefore the whole thing is open to interpretation.

However, with the Qu`ran, it is supposed to be the literal word of God dictated by him personally and therefore, unlike the Bible, is not open to interpretation and must be followed word for word.

Or something....
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
The guilt tripping is kind of a cheap tactic, pardon me...

But yeah to most christians Leviticus is completely irrelevant. Has been for 2000 years. All those laws are. Homosexuality is just a sinful behavior like others (lying, stealing) and killing homosexuals is, in christian theology as i understand it, completely contrary to every principle of the faith...

Muslims i think have the same kind of stance, they don't see homosexuality itself as a sin but homosexual sex as one, but i think Iran's position has much more to do with its backwards, repressive culture than Islam itself, as i'm convinced (havnt got the numbers though, only going by anecdotal evidence) that the vast majority of Iranians who leave Iran quickly see these views disolve and disappear, while still being Muslims.

Religion is a tool that regulates behavior, nothing else. Don't blame the tools for what people use it for, and don't assume everyone using this tool does so with bad intentions in mind.
I never expected much coming from a theocracy.
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
(September 6, 2011 at 6:24 pm)aleialoura Wrote: http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/rel...9/06/26460

I would like to hear everyone weigh in on this, but especially theists.

According to the Qu'ran and the Bible (Leviticus 20:13), this sort of thing is fully justified in the eyes of God/Allah.

Science tells us that a person's sexual preference is largely due to a genetic predisposition. Since we know that, it pretty much means that God created homosexuals, so why does he hate them so much?

Because God is a swinging closet homosexual. He could have created a Mrs God, couldn't he? Or his own personal harem of blonde bimbos. But he didn't. And that says enough.
(As a side note: at least Allah has thousands of virgins to spare, doesn't he?)

Quote:It appears to me that Muslims are being better Muslims because they don't just carry their book around, taking only parts of it seriously. Muslims are doing what their book tells them to do. Most Christians, while they hate homosexuals, aren't trying to put them to death for having gay sex.

Neither are 'most' Muslims. 'Most' Muslims may not 'like' homosexuals, simply because the majority isn't homosexual themselves, but that is exactly the same how 'most' Xtians don't 'like' homosexuals. Because their majority isn't homosexual either.
IRL neither majority is inclined to string up homosexuals though, whatever their book says. It's the fundamentalists – on either side – who scream for lynching parties.

Quote:How can Christians stand behind the Bible, and yet not follow it's words?

They have developed a special mechanism that helps them deal with the incongruences. It's called hypocrisy.
No different for Muslims and the qur'an.

Quote:I am not at all saying that I want Christians to start putting homosexuals to death, but what I am saying is if you're not going to do it, take it out of the bible.

Go ahead, convene another episcopalian council, like Nicaea, to decide what does and does not belong in the bible, if it's important to you (in that case you're in the wrong place here). That's how they did it then (in 324 was it?). That's how it could be done today.

Quote:It would be a dangerous thing if someone young/impressionable, or perhaps mentally ill were to read this and take it seriously.

Not if someone old/dogmatic would?

Quote:If you're going to call it the word of God, and not do what the word of God says, then why cling to it? Why defend it?

Because it's a comfortable set of known rules and you can blame God for any unpleasant consequences of following them. The alternative is scary and confusing: they would have to think for themselves and blame themselves everytime the consequences aren't funny. With a bible or qur'an you can always point to someone else: the guy upstairs who did it. Believers are blame shifters. De facto irresponsible people, really.

Tongue
(September 6, 2011 at 6:32 pm)Darwinian Wrote: I would say that it's because the Christians see the Bible as the inspired word of God rather than literal.

I guess you've never dealt with fundies.
Of either side.
They all claim their book should be taken literally. No difference.
It is my understanding that they don't even recognize homosexuality as a reality. If you think about it, a lot of Christians don't either. I always read stuff about how they are trying to cure people of the demon lust for butt sex.

Christians are the embodiment of hypocrisy. You can't imagine how many times I heard as a kid that the bible is a rule book for life. No one ever said, "Except for Leviticus, and..etc"

And I know Christians who take the bible very seriously and literally. Ones who say that the cosmos, DNA, and all of science is a creation of Satan to distract people from faith in god. I've even debated with Christians who are convinced that all those other pagan gods, who just happen to have numerous similarities with the story of Jesus, were planted beforehand by Satan, because he knew that god was going to send his son in the way he did.

(September 6, 2011 at 11:03 pm)aleialoura Wrote: It is my understanding that they don't even recognize homosexuality as a reality. If you think about it, a lot of Christians don't either. I always read stuff about how they are trying to cure people of the demon lust for butt sex.

Christians are the embodiment of hypocrisy. You can't imagine how many times I heard as a kid that the bible is a rule book for life. No one ever said, "Except for Leviticus, and..etc"

And I know Christians who take the bible very seriously and literally. Ones who say that the cosmos, DNA, and all of science is a creation of Satan to distract people from faith in god. I've even debated with Christians who are convinced that all those other pagan gods, who just happen to have numerous similarities with the story of Jesus, were planted beforehand by Satan, because he knew that god was going to send his son in the way he did.

Again: there is no difference with Islam. It is just as hypocrite. Hypocrisy is the foundation of religion. Every religion.
agreed. I am glad I've found an outlet here for my frustrations with religion. My deist roommate is too!

(September 6, 2011 at 11:03 pm)aleialoura Wrote: And I know Christians who take the bible very seriously and literally. Ones who say that the cosmos, DNA, and all of science is a creation of Satan to distract people from faith in god. I've even debated with Christians who are convinced that all those other pagan gods, who just happen to have numerous similarities with the story of Jesus, were planted beforehand by Satan, because he knew that god was going to send his son in the way he did.

May I ask if you have ever heard those same people saying Charles Darwin was the antichrist or at least inspired by satan when he developed the theory of evolution by natural selection?
undefined
Yes, the same people also claim that Obama is the antichrist. I generalize these people into a fun little group. It's called "The Morons" (and they're surrounding me)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10730 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Arguments against Deism and for religion. Mystic 32 12677 March 12, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4907 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19828 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49328 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Easy arguments against the Bible, and religion as a whole Rwandrall 320 224555 March 14, 2013 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Gods acts of punishment and miracles. Gooders1002 23 9309 November 13, 2012 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5189 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused