Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[split] States & Politics
[split] States & Politics
(September 17, 2011 at 11:22 pm)Shell B Wrote: Oh, cops were swarming, but they couldn't shut it down. My state decriminalized marijuana. I don't even smoke. I just enjoy freedom.

I find it hard to understand why my state (Victoria) still has not decriminalized marijuana or recognises same sex marriages, while your state (Massachusetts) has done both. I dunno what Massachusetts has, but our public schools are infested with "chaplains" and "scripture teachers" who are evangelists. This all considering that Victoria is likely far less religious than Massachusetts is.

The silent majority need to stand up and silence the loud minority (who have far too much influence over our politicians). Angry

undefined
RE: Member Photos
(September 17, 2011 at 11:30 pm)Justtristo Wrote: I find it hard to understand why my state (Victoria) still has not decriminalized marijuana or recognises same sex marriages, while your state (Massachusetts) has done both. Considering that I suspect Victoria is far less religious than Massachusetts is.

The silent majority need to stand up and silence the loud minority (who have far too much influence over our politicians). Angry

You have to put your neck out there, vote for what you think is right and be active, even if it is just backing up activists. We may have a lot of religious folk around here, but we also have a huge "underground" culture of intelligent death metal heads who vote. Oh, I forgot about the hippies and punks. I don't know. I look around and I see people like me. I don't really see a lot of religious folk, but the people I do see are voting. That must mean we weirdos are making a difference.
(September 17, 2011 at 11:36 pm)Shell B Wrote: You have to put your neck out there, vote for what you think is right and be active, even if it is just backing up activists. We may have a lot of religious folk around here, but we also have a huge "underground" culture of intelligent death metal heads who vote. Oh, I forgot about the hippies and punks. I don't know. I look around and I see people like me. I don't really see a lot of religious folk, but the people I do see are voting. That must mean we weirdos are making a difference.

Well voting in elections at both a state and federal level here is compulsory. I seriously believe because our religious folk are a small minority, the "silent majority" are so laid back they are allowing the religious folk to literally punch above their weight politically.

For instance despite opinion polls showing a clear majority supporting the legalization of same sex marriage. Reports from federal MP's who were asked by a federal parliamentary committee to "survey" their electorate about the issue. Most federal MP's came back with reports saying their electorates overall did not support same sex marriage.

I blame that on the "silent majority" being so apathetic and the religious folk being able to punch above their weight (as I described earlier) by sending shitloads of letters to federal MP's and Senators.
undefined
(September 18, 2011 at 10:25 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Your 'ass' or 'arse' as it would be called in england seemed anything but whale like in proportions.

Pert was the word that came to my mind.

Ha! It's all about perspective. Smile

(September 18, 2011 at 10:25 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Judging by the haze around you, you probably didnt need to smoke any yoursel to get high.

I don't disagree with that. I felt like I was standing inside a bong. It was worse in front of the main stage.

Quote:It amazes me how different the states of america are to each other, more like affiliated countries than one country.

It's unfortunate because one has to familiarize themselves with local laws whenever they cross state lines, if they plan on doing anything out of the ordinary. Actually, even driving out of state can be hairy -- or a good thing. I was driving forty-five miles over the speed limit in North Dakota once and got a fifty dollar ticket that needed to be paid on the spot. That was it. Here, I would have probably gone to jail for reckless endangerment or some shit.
(September 17, 2011 at 11:43 pm)Justtristo Wrote: For instance despite opinion polls showing a clear majority supporting the legalization of same sex marriage. Reports from federal MP's who were asked by a federal parliamentary committee to "survey" their electorate about the issue. Most federal MP's came back with reports saying their electorates overall did not support same sex marriage.

I blame that on the "silent majority" being so apathetic and the religious folk being able to punch above their weight (as I described earlier) by sending shitloads of letters to federal MP's and Senators.

I am just as confused Justtristo! And I vote yet the "wrong party or legislation gets in" I am wondering if these "parliamentary committees" are just another way of syphoning off the public tax $$ and an exercise in creative accounting??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(September 18, 2011 at 9:37 pm)KichigaiNeko Wrote:
(September 17, 2011 at 11:43 pm)Justtristo Wrote: For instance despite opinion polls showing a clear majority supporting the legalization of same sex marriage. Reports from federal MP's who were asked by a federal parliamentary committee to "survey" their electorate about the issue. Most federal MP's came back with reports saying their electorates overall did not support same sex marriage.

I am just as confused Justtristo! And I vote yet the "wrong party or legislation gets in" I am wondering if these "parliamentary committees" are just another way of syphoning off the public tax $$ and an exercise in creative accounting??

Well the commonwealth parliament website gives a good explanation of the purpose of parliamentary committees http://www.aph.gov.au/committee/index.htm

However in practice parliamentary committees don't work in that way. Also I do believe religious people form a important swing voting bloc, especially in the outer suburbs of bigger cities and the smaller cities. For example Labor right now according to opinion polls would poll a somewhat better if Kevin Rudd (an out and proud Anglican) than with the current Prime Minister.

I seriously believe we need binding citizens initiated referendums. If they were introduced, there would be no problem getting more than enough signatures needed to get a referendum held on legalizing the recognition of same sex marriages.
undefined
But Tristo!! YOU KNOW it never works that way with politics!!
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
As much as I love political discussion, can you create a new thread to discuss these issues? This thread is for sharing / commenting on member photos!
It's all Shell's fault. And i can't even see the pics! Sad x 2
So what would you suggest Adrian?? Split the discussion off from say post #1242 when Shell started the whole political bit?? Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2437 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  How does your WV inform your politics? FrustratedFool 142 7058 September 8, 2023 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  When Grown-Up Play Politics BrianSoddingBoru4 0 329 December 18, 2022 at 5:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The United States now enters the phase of mass executions. Jehanne 48 4041 November 18, 2022 at 1:52 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why don't Southern states outlaw interracial marriage? Jehanne 12 1161 July 26, 2022 at 7:55 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The United States and the growing divide zwanzig 73 3667 September 24, 2021 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
Information The United States has not spent $ 300 million a day on war in Afghanistan. alextruesay 60 3266 August 26, 2021 at 3:35 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Our politics is for slaves and suckers. brokefree 12 781 June 10, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: brewer
  I have some real politics for you. brokefree 6 494 June 10, 2021 at 1:48 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Politics and Twitter. Brian37 27 1370 May 6, 2021 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Irreligious Atheist