Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 12:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why the new 'Doctor Who' irritates me
Exclamation 
Why the new 'Doctor Who' irritates me
This is going to be a fairly lengthy and somewhat esoteric essay, so out of respect for slower connections and the disinterested I'll tuck the body of it safely away; viz:

Let the flaming commence.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
RE: Why the new 'Doctor Who' irritates me
Yeah..I must say the new dr.who shows arent all that compelling
I like them for the most part, but then I'm not a from a generation that had Doctor Who whilst growing up. I can appreciate the writing, which is good about 80% of the time. I recently wrote a quick rant on Facebook about the ending to the second series with Matt Smith's doctor, where they basically skipped around the Doctor being killed by...*tada* having a robotic version of the Doctor "killed" instead. This in no way solved the plot for me; it left so many holes wide open.

On the other hand, I loved the episode "Day of the Moon", mainly because the ending was perfect, and nobody saw it coming. Compared to the ending of the series, which I saw coming from about 5 minutes in.

The thing with the new series is, it wasn't designed for your generation, it was designed for a generation that have grown up with computers, with special effects, etc, meaning that often storylines aren't important, as long as some funny stuff happens, and there are plenty of explosions. That doesn't mean they won't have a decent storyline at some point, but the fact is, the latest incarnations of the Doctor are mainly meant to be funny, and understandable by a younger audience.
Die Stimbo

but leave your collection to moi. Smile
(October 9, 2011 at 6:00 pm)Tiberius Wrote: The thing with the new series is, it wasn't designed for your generation, it was designed for a generation that have grown up with computers, with special effects, etc, meaning that often storylines aren't important, as long as some funny stuff happens, and there are plenty of explosions. That doesn't mean they won't have a decent storyline at some point, but the fact is, the latest incarnations of the Doctor are mainly meant to be funny, and understandable by a younger audience.

I can appreciate all that, but it shouldn't make all that much difference. Yes, generations come and go and it would be a mistake to expect the series to be exactly the same as it was in, say, 1973. However, I think the viewing public can and should expect a decent standard of writing for their money. Doctor Who has always had funny stuff and explosions but it was never solely about that. It came from the tradition of hard literary science fiction which, although containing fantastic elements, was always grounded at some point in scientific, or at least dramatic, plausibilty; as indeed was Quatermass and the later Doomwatch and Survivors. The stories were aimed at several levels, not just kids. Even as a wide-eyed child I never had any problem following the plots, whether or not I caught on to the complexities that I appreciated later was irrelevant. To me each episode represented the telly saying "we're all going to have an adventure, come and join us". Today it's more like "we're all going to have an adventure, you just sit there quietly until we're done."

Maybe I'm over-analysing it to some extent, but I think this short clip sums up what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPwuP11fS7I

Like I said, when the series returned in 2005 I was all for it, albeit apprehensively, and I saw the potential in what was being created. It's simply a shame it didn't carry on in the direction it looked like it was going.

BTW, I'm not all that old; I grew up with computers and all that stuff myself. I too have known the pain of waiting twenty minutes at a blank screen for a game to load, only to be cut down with the dread message: "Tape loading error" (or similar).
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I used to watch some of the old school episodes when I was a kid and loved them. This new one does not interest me at all just from watching the previews.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
I liked your essay Stimbo.

As an American with little appreciation or interest in Dr. Who, I nonetheless felt like I learned something.

Sounds like British cinema and TV has caught the Hollywood-Micheal-Bay disease.

Pity.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more
Thanks, it took me about two hours to put it all into words and another hour to make sure I could understand it myself. That others benefitted from it is the best compliment I could wish for.
When I was gossoon, I watched the early Dr Who. (in b&w) I noticed the Daleks could not negotiate stairs, decided the whole thing was silly and stopped watching ,for about 30 years.

Then came the new Dr Who. Had a look,first thing I saw was the appalling Catherine Tate,so off it went again. BUT I've been watching the most recent series and loving it.

I like Torchwood.
I preferred david tennant to matt smith, the 'lonely god' take on the dr beats the 'eccentric' hands down. saying that, river song is the most interesting new character in the dr series that I can remember.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A tale of American healthcare as told through one Doctor visit Figbash 14 1631 December 7, 2018 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Went back to the doctor today Foxaèr 22 1563 October 9, 2018 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I Think We Have A Female Doctor Here. Minimalist 11 1309 September 3, 2018 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  My doctor asked me to pray. Jehanne 146 17923 April 3, 2016 at 6:20 am
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Actors for The Doctor Bad Wolf 8 1256 September 15, 2014 at 8:09 am
Last Post: Bad Wolf
  The new Doctor Bad Wolf 26 3197 February 1, 2014 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: yoshirama