Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My doctor asked me to pray.
My doctor asked me to pray.
I got sick today, and after going to a very nice doctor, he gave me a short "laundry list" of things to do, which concluded with "pray".  i was amused, but instead of praying, I went home and took my medicine, and now, I feel much better.  No prayers of any kind.
RE: My doctor asked me to pray.
Personally, I'd prefer my doctor to stick to medicine. If I wanted to hear about prayer, I'd make an appointment with a pastor. What do you figure the odds of that happening are? Tongue
As nice as they are, I still find it hard to believe that some would suggest that. As if all those years of medical training and experience just isn't "quite" enough, pray... because well, religion!
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(March 21, 2016 at 11:33 pm)Jehanne Wrote: I got sick today, and after going to a very nice doctor, he gave me a short "laundry list" of things to do, which concluded with "pray".  i was amused, but instead of praying, I went home and took my medicine, and now, I feel much better.  No prayers of any kind.

As a surgeon I can tell you that, however much a patient and their family prays, they still have surgery.

[Image: I-Swear-If-Anyone-Says-Thank-God-After-T...ack-In.jpg]
Dying to live, living to die.
Get another doctor.  That one sounds like a quack.
He should be struck off.

At the very best, he is assuming you'll get some sort of placebo effect out of it. He could achieve the same thing with sugar pills.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
You should have put on a show "Pray??? Oh God, I'm going to die! Give it to me straight, how many days have I left?"
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I'd have said, "I see. You're saying God has mistakenly allowed me to fall ill. This was not part of his plan, and he needs this bringing to his attention so he can correct the mistake."
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Find a friend of yours who looks nothing like you, then have him/her burst into the doctor's office and shout, 'I prayed and NOW look what happened!!'

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It's time to change the doctor I would say. Next time he may suggest rain dance.
The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.

The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.

Socrates.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  are any of you honest enough to simply answer the question asked? Drich 120 10762 February 13, 2019 at 9:52 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  A tale of American healthcare as told through one Doctor visit Figbash 14 1647 December 7, 2018 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Went back to the doctor today Foxaèr 22 1572 October 9, 2018 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I Think We Have A Female Doctor Here. Minimalist 11 1317 September 3, 2018 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I asked a girl out.... Mystic 51 4459 March 30, 2018 at 3:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  So I asked a guy out on a date... SteelCurtain 29 2713 May 9, 2016 at 12:29 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  One question I don't see asked enough. Brian37 15 2526 February 19, 2015 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Actors for The Doctor Bad Wolf 8 1257 September 15, 2014 at 8:09 am
Last Post: Bad Wolf
Question Just got this PM on reddit to pray to Gaia so the system will collapse. MountainsWinAgain 4 1022 June 20, 2014 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The new Doctor Bad Wolf 26 3199 February 1, 2014 at 11:54 pm
Last Post: yoshirama