Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 1:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to Spot Bad Science
How to Spot Bad Science

Dr. Ben Goldacre, an epidemiologist, shines some light on a bunch of bullshit and how to know when you're being fed bullshit.

http://www.ted.com/talks/ben_goldacre_ba...ience.html

This guy talks with a brittish accent and very fast, but if you can understand him it's awesome.

It's something useful to everyone, so I thought I'd share.

Enjoy, discuss.

RE: How to Spot Bad Science
"Thanks to this sort of manipulation of data.... Mainstream medicine is made to look untrustworthy / Without all the data how can any scientist - medico make any conclusion at all?"

...is this why the religious turn to the god authority??
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Sad sad... The medicine industry is conceiving us for money. What a surprise Doh
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
This is an amazing post. Thanks.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Good one, love TedTalks Ubergeek
Ben Goldacre is great, thanks for the link!
[Image: bloodyheretic.png]

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
Einstein

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life.

- John Lennon
ted.com is an awesome website. I hope everyone will add it to their book marks, and visit it frequently... and share with us all when they find something awesome.

Smile

This clip was huge. Good clip.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So, what's up with airline food? And other bad jokes. Mechaghostman2 16 1407 January 23, 2020 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: Magilla
Star Can you spot the pan? Fake Messiah 32 2562 January 25, 2018 at 7:37 am
Last Post: Succubus
  More Bad News For Creatards Minimalist 13 2177 August 10, 2017 at 12:26 am
Last Post: Sterben
  The Only Way To Stop A Bad Guy With A Club Minimalist 5 1272 January 21, 2016 at 2:51 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  More Bad News For Creatards Minimalist 4 1276 October 14, 2015 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  The scientific version of good and bad Detective L Ryuzaki 15 5088 August 31, 2015 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7725 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul
  Fracking = Bad popeyespappy 2 956 December 7, 2012 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  Science Laughs: Science Comedian Brian Malow orogenicman 4 4272 December 10, 2010 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Lethe