Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 8:59 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planning a Trip to London
Planning a Trip to London
So as has been mentioned in other areas and in chat, I'm planning a trip to London for around the beginning of March, it looks like. My job doesn't give me much vaca time, so I'll only be a week.

I haven't been on a plane since I was 13 - pre-9/11!! - so this is going to be harrowing and unnerving for me. It's also my first time out of the country since I was just under a year old.

I've already gotten excellent travel advice for leaving the states (ticket information and such) and some hostels to stay at (or people's couches Big Grin ). What I'd love to hear from our Brit members is suggestions of what you guys think is worth the money to see. I'll be on a tight budget, but I want to make the most out of every minute. What kind of information can you give me about what to expect for pricing? Where are the best places to eat? I'm already working on getting maps to plan each day out (I'm a woman who likes a framework, but I'm flexible).

There are so many places in the whole of Britain that I want to see, I can't reasonably expect to hit even a portion of them in a week, so I'm open to any and all suggestions.

The only thing I have to do, and I'm working on it now, is find out where my family lived in England about 150 years ago. I'm chasing the information to start that search down through my anti-social family members right now...I'm hoping to meet the family we apparently still have living there.

And yes, I DO expect an AF meet up in London one night. I'll probably be wearing that red dress 5th and Eld liked so much, so show up and bring teh sexy. AF has to represent, you know. Wink
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Planning a Trip to London
My couch is available anytime you need it. I only live ~30 min outside of London by train as well.

A lot of London you can see for free, but obviously it all depends on what you want to do. London Eye is quite expensive, and the queues are long. The art galleries are usually free, as are most of the museums. Things like Windsor Castle are quite cheap though, and places like the Tower of London, etc.
The Tower of London is really cool. Sort of like Alcatraz without the amenities.
I'm making the trek to europe in a couple years. I want to go when I can take about 3 weeks and spend some money.

Still .... I am a bit jealous of you summerqueen.
[Image: Evolution.png]

It's probably not the most responsible move, but then again...I'd like to be more irresponsible before I hit 30.
Here here! Someone has to do irresponsible stuff for me to enjoy vicariously.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Come by Harlow, it's only a few miles north of London, even if it's for a couple of hours. I wanna hug! Big Grin
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(October 27, 2011 at 3:55 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Here here! Someone has to do irresponsible stuff for me to enjoy vicariously.

Quit living through me. Tongue

(October 27, 2011 at 4:00 pm)Ace Otana Wrote: Come by Harlow, it's only a few miles north of London, even if it's for a couple of hours. I wanna hug! Big Grin

You got it, cutie!
[Image: Excited_jiggle.gif]
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
But you will be coming out that night if you can, right? All James Dean-ified?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Road trip playlist - looking for suggestions Jackalope 20 1287 August 11, 2021 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Anyone planning on seeing the new Michael Moore movie? Jehanne 16 1182 September 18, 2018 at 10:17 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Goin on a trip... Joods 16 2013 March 25, 2018 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Joods
  Anyone here know London or Berlin? shadow 17 4321 February 1, 2018 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: shadow
  TRJF's 4,000-Mile Road Trip!!! TheRealJoeFish 28 3159 September 16, 2016 at 1:13 am
Last Post: c172
  What to do in London MCM without a ticket? Iroscato 6 965 May 26, 2016 at 4:14 pm
Last Post: Iroscato
  My day trip to Daylesford ignoramus 11 2888 January 11, 2016 at 5:25 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Surprise trip to Mt. Evans Ravenshire 3 1065 September 21, 2015 at 12:34 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Comic Con London Darwinian 3 1130 September 4, 2015 at 2:10 pm
Last Post: Darwinian
  People at church excluding and avoiding me on church trip ashasha1212 14 3372 August 25, 2015 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: Exian