Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Movies
Movies
Seen any good movies lately? Want to recommend something? Express yourself hereSmile
The last movie I saw was One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, it's an adaptation of the novel with the same name by Ken Kasey and all i can say is that Jack Nicholson is awesome in it, he really knows how to get in the skin of a character.
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.
RE: Movies
The remake of "The Day The Earth Stood Still" was awful. It didn't actually have any ending. It just sort of...stopped.

If you hadn't watched the first one (which luckily I had) it wouldn't have made ANY sense.
If you enjoy buddy comedies, definitely check out 'I Love You, Man'. It perfectly captures the geekiness of normal people. and the way real friends hang out.

I recently saw Lakeview Terrace and it was pretty terrible, as expected. Before that I saw Milk, and it was really touching and inspiring. I always forget how great of an actor Sean Penn is until he's on the screen in front of me. He really did steal the show and deserved his Oscar for that role.

Other than that, there's been a lot of great movies in the past few years. If you haven't seen any of these, do yourself a favor and watch them:
  • No Country For Old Men
  • There Will Be Blood
  • Slumdog Millionaire
  • The Wrestler
  • Burn After Reading
  • The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Those are ones that immediately come to mind.
- Meatball
Hated "Knowing",although critics here raved about it. That it stars Nicholas Cage should have been a enough of a warning to avoid it.

"Inkheart" is a good kid's movie.

"Appaloosa" an interesting western.A bit slow perhaps,but with some gratifying chunks of violence.

The film I enjoyed the most recently was a rental, "Rocknrolla" a British black comedy in the same vein as "Snatch" which I loved, although arguably not as good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RocknRolla
"Iron Man" 9/10
"The Reader" 8/10
"Hancock" 7/10
"I Am Legend" 7/10 (but the alternative ending on DVD gets 8/10)
"Duplicity" 6/10
"Batman: The Dark Knight" 4/10
"3:10 To Yuma" 8/10
"Twilight" 9/10

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
How dare you give The Dark Knight 4/10??? It's like the perfect movie!!!

Twilight 9/10??? Nothing happened for the first 40 minutes! It got better sure, but it's only worth a 6/10, 7 max...

Kyu went away for 2 days and came back CRAAAAAAAAZZZEEEEE!!! Tongue I'm sure he'll explain his views though...
For me:

Iron Man 7-8/10 (for a Superhero movie)

Hancock 8.5-9.5/10.

I also saw the new Mr. Bean movie and Mall Cop - they were fairly decent (considering that IMO most movies, etc, are pretty crap). I wouldn't know how to rate them though..
No higher than 7 or 8 and no lower than 4.5.

Also saw "Little Man" - can't really rate this stuff...I guess they're all kind of below average-above average - somewhere in that range.
Depends what mood I'm in. Some bits are good and a lot not so good. Nothing that blows me away.

Yes I know - it's all very vague but I only have a vague feeling and I'm not going to pretend a very 'dead on' score. I'm just going to do my best to be honest about it.

EvF
(April 10, 2009 at 6:36 pm)Tiberius Wrote: How dare you give The Dark Knight 4/10??? It's like the perfect movie!!!

I thought it was fairly pants ... I far preferred Burton's vision of Gotham, Keaton's Batman and VASTLY preferred Nicholson's Joker.

(April 10, 2009 at 6:36 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Twilight 9/10??? Nothing happened for the first 40 minutes! It got better sure, but it's only worth a 6/10, 7 max...

What can I say? I like vampires (especially if it's about cultural stuff) and I like TV (so it's being more like an "intro" wasn't a huge problem for me) ... I absolutely loved it and look forward to the next instalment.

(April 10, 2009 at 6:36 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Kyu went away for 2 days and came back CRAAAAAAAAZZZEEEEE!!! Tongue I'm sure he'll explain his views though...

Oh indeedy Devil

We're all different, movies (like music and traditional "art") are art, there's no such thing as good or bad art except from a personal perspective. I like what I like.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
i hate twilight, nothing interesting in that movie Angry, i fail to understand why people rate it so high
Personally, it's not God I dislike, it's his fan club I can't stand.
What was wrong with Ledger's joker? For me it was that performance that made the movie complete.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Incidental Christmas Movies brewer 6 811 December 25, 2020 at 1:14 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Super hero movies sucks Sanau 7 580 March 29, 2020 at 1:44 pm
Last Post: no one
  Why are children allowed to act in TV shows/movies? Alexmahone 10 2552 May 27, 2018 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  What I learned from watching 3 movies. Gawdzilla Sama 2 373 May 2, 2018 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  What Are Your Favorite Classic Films/Movies? Kernel Sohcahtoa 6 1415 October 11, 2016 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Who Are Your Favorite Fictional Characters (tv, movies, literature etc.)? Kernel Sohcahtoa 93 8699 September 20, 2016 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Questionable Movies FatAndFaithless 92 5635 May 29, 2016 at 10:57 am
Last Post: IATIA
  25 Most Rewatched Movies brewer 29 3360 January 8, 2016 at 7:44 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Christopher Nolan movies ErGingerbreadMandude 13 2344 January 7, 2016 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Top 3 movies Kingpin 102 18433 August 16, 2015 at 8:29 am
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude