Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alice's intro...
Alice's intro...

Hi All

My name is Alice. I'm a (Cough) year old male Transhumanistic Atheist. Or as The Hitch would put it, Anti-Theist. I have a girlfriend called Alice which gets very confusing at times Smile

I have never been religious but read the Bible while still young and was surprised to find it seemed quite evil with what looks like God's condolence of rape, racial hatred, genocide, infanticide, animal and human sacrifice and vicarious punishment for one's sin.

I like to keep my debates with theists basic. I love listening to The Hitch discuss Aquinas etc. but I want to bring Atheism to the masses as I think preaching to the intelligencia is preaching (mainly) to the converted.

I don't really care if Jesus was a real person or not. I do care whether he was the son of a god. I don't care if a religion is good or bad. I care whether it is true.

Apart from my Anti-God Bothering activities I also keep myself out of trouble with my addiction to Opera, Stately Homes, Period Dramas, All things Apple as well as hanging about in Soho Electro Dives.

Hero's include - Dawkins, The Hitch, Ray Kurzweil, Quentin Crisp, Mozart, Oscar Wilde, Cecilia Bartoli, Steve Jobs and Pete Burns to name but a few.

I'd like to end my little intro. with a recent status update I posted on my Facebook:-

''Had the God Bothering Jehovah's Whiteness' at my door today. It took about 30mins but they eventually got away from me''

Look forward to chatting with you guys

Alice

RE: Alice's intro...
Welcome!
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Quote:I have a girlfriend called Alice which gets very confusing at times

I can imagine.

Welcome.
Welcome to the forums.

I'm surprised that all of the usual sort haven't welcomed you yet. You say that you want to bring atheism to the masses. Do you think social comparison theory would use your proselytizing would polarize a stronger opposition than just informing ignorant people where their ignorant?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
Welcome to the forums!

(November 5, 2011 at 10:37 pm)tackattack Wrote: Welcome to the forums.

I'm surprised that all of the usual sort haven't welcomed you yet. You say that you want to bring atheism to the masses. Do you think social comparison theory would use your proselytizing would polarize a stronger opposition than just informing ignorant people where their ignorant?

I hope i didn't scare them Smile

No, I think ignorance should be quashed wherever it raises it's ugly head. I just feel that the intellectual arguments have been made but the uneducated are put off by discussions on Aquinas or Socrates et al. I like to keep my rhetoric simple so as not to alienate the uneducated. They are the biggest threat to reason because of their apathy.

It is 3am here so forgive me if my lack of eloquence in my reply.
It's been a fairly quiet day for the "usuals" so I expect within a few days you'll have a couple more pages of welcomes.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
The lot around here doesn't scare.. well really they don't scare at all.

But don't you feel they are more prone to polarize back to whatever irrationality they believe if the confrontation is opposed to their selective bias?

No need to apologize, I typically only post usually well late into the night, and the browser at work doesn't have a spell checker Sad sucks to read my posts if they get a bit lengthy or preachy.. so I try and stay away from that.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

(November 5, 2011 at 11:21 pm)tackattack Wrote: But don't you feel they are more prone to polarize back to whatever irrationality they believe if the confrontation is opposed to their selective bias?

Oh, sure they do. That is why I try to keep it simple. It may not work but at least they will be able to gasp the concept. If they go deeper I'll follow them but it's rarely needed.
I think it would be more important to keep it civil than simple.. which you seem to do just fine. Welcome.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Intro DocIllinois 14 1205 August 6, 2021 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Belated intro Dom 20 1743 September 29, 2018 at 10:47 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Intro Reltzik 21 1000 September 26, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Intro Bow Before Zeus 15 1886 November 14, 2017 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  intro JamieBra 28 5162 September 23, 2017 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  MY INTRO rjh4 is back 7 1316 August 13, 2017 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Intro Court Jester 25 4994 June 24, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: KerimF
Bug I guess I should intro Monkeybuttorama 21 3883 May 26, 2017 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Caligvla XXI
  intro Otisknows 17 2432 February 6, 2017 at 12:02 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Slightly Generic and Dramatic Intro Thread Redoubtable 16 3378 February 5, 2017 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Otisknows