Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:50 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Red Dwarf Premiere
Red Dwarf Premiere
Anyone at all see the NEW Red Dwarf episode on 'Dave' last night? Part 2 today?
And any thoughts on it?

Was better than I thought it was going to be - but it's kind of an intro more than anything and nothing really funny.
They changed the channel name temporarily to 'Dave Lister' and showed 3 totally classic old episodes right on afterwards. Starting with the Gunmen of the Apocalypse episode from series 6 than won voted as the best episode years back (back in 1996 or 96 I think it was...? 95?)

Then an Ep from series 5 and an Ep from series 7.
Kind of showed the contrast! My bro said it perhaps wasn't a good idea to show one of the best Red Dwarf episodes ever right after the première as it's up against some really stiff competition that way and raises people's standards some more.

The older Eps have much more of a rhythm and funny after funny to them - also they are filmed in front of a live audience and there was no laugher to new Ep.
And Ed Bye who had also directed Bottom (except I think the third series) normally directs Red Dwarf and the new episode was directed by Doug Naylor.

I liked it anyway as it's nostalgic for me and it's good for the fans - and I'm certainly a fan!
My main problem I have is that it was only about 30 minutes long with adverts or 25 or 20 without when normally Red Dwarf is about 10 minutes longer - about 40 with adverts or 30 or 35 without.

Part 2 is being shown tonight. I also read they are doing some kind of making of thing or SOMETHING like that...
And also some special Ep that they will not reveal and is totally original apparently, and one of the reasons they won't reveal it is that it would be bound to get stolen because no one's ever done it before and it's a really good idea! Apparently.
I read on the site a month or two back.

Wonder what that's all about.

Anyway, thoughts? Anyone see it? Like it? And who loves Red Dwarf? Some Red Dwarf fans here?

P.S: Yes they're a LOT older. It's been 11 years since the last series - and that one was a few years after the one before that.

EvF
RE: Red Dwarf Premiere
I watched the third and final part last night. It's convinced me none of this is real and life is not worth living any more.
Hoi Zaeme.
I liked early RD but kinda went off it when they went digital (I thought the crappy effects were an essential part of the series) ... I might watch the new stuff sometime but got no particular drive to do so.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
(April 13, 2009 at 10:25 am)Kyuuketsuki Wrote: I liked early RD but kinda went off it when they went digital (I thought the crappy effects were an essential part of the series) ... I might watch the new stuff sometime but got no particular drive to do so.

Kyu

I feel the same way about it. The early stuff was funny, but all the cgi made it less and less appealing to me.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
I think Series 1-6 were the best series' 7 and 8 Rob Grant no longer wrote with Doug Naylor - it was just Doug on his own...

Some good episodes in 7 though....8 is o.k but not the same - not such classic Red Dwarf.

Anyway I saw all 3 parts now - it was o.k but would have been better if they showed them all at once since they were 10 minutes shorter than normal eps and watching a 10 minute shorter ep and then having to wait a day before the next part - kind of took the rhythm away somewhat I think...

Part 3 was cool...glad it worked out o.k in the end and they weren't "all made up" - and didn't exist.

Instead we're the fake ones apparently lol.

I've got the first 4 Red Dwarf series on DVD - I want the other 4 when I can afford.

EvF

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debunking the myth about Red Shirts Amarok 20 1222 February 27, 2018 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Which is grammatically more right - "red new car" or "new red car" ErGingerbreadMandude 55 6988 January 24, 2018 at 6:48 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  For Red Dwarf fans: uncut versions robvalue 37 2560 December 27, 2016 at 4:52 am
Last Post: robvalue
Information How Rimmer saves Red Dwarf Aractus 0 953 March 16, 2016 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Gas Sation Blessing Haz Tasty Splashing Red Fruit Punch Gatorade Edwardo Piet 16 2518 January 10, 2016 at 1:00 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  For Red vs. Blue Fans Amalynne0 1 950 July 21, 2014 at 5:03 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Thai Red Curry recipes or recommendations Clueless Morgan 8 2009 July 14, 2014 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Red pill or blue? Jackalope 40 10256 June 18, 2014 at 10:59 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  Suddenly red is my favorite color. Brian37 9 3113 October 9, 2013 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Red Dwarf X Darwinian 20 4587 October 6, 2012 at 12:31 pm
Last Post: Nine