Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook
Facebook
"What is so bad about Facebook?" Whenever I hear this question, I usually start a - seemingly - never-ending, heated discussion about why Facebook is bad and how stupid it is to use Facebook.

The more you know about the hidden costs (e.g. giving up privacy and private conversation) of the so called "free" social network, the more the cost-benefit function gets out of proportion.

From my point of view there are millions of very good reasons to stop using Facebook immediately. However many of the reasons stated below are not only valid for Facebook, but for other closed and centralized social networks as well, espcially Twitter.

Why is Facebook Bad
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
RE: Facebook
yeah, social networks make me uneasy. i haven't had a facebook account in a while and i don't like knowing that the time i've spent there is logged somewhere.
i wasn't aware of the facial recognition feature! that's something else.
could i get a drink and an ashtray?
meh.

I figure by this point in my life the government doesn't need any assistance from a social network to fuck up my life if the government so desires.

Dunno

[Image: Evolution.png]

it's not limited to that, friend. you are being sold.
Ahhhh, facebook is evil. Panic

In all seriousness, there is nothing a person puts on facebook that cannot be found out elsewhere. Who gives a shit if "they" know how much time I spend on facebook, who I talk to and what I am most likely to click on? Unless you are incredibly stupid, there is nothing on facebook that will do you any harm.
i think with a social network as large as facebook, some people might feel afraid of how far monitoring can go. we have to question when we should draw the line. admittedly, facebook is a voluntary network and nobody's forced to join, but i will say that i have a job at which my boss is pressuring me to join. they post our schedules on a facebook forum and the big dogs are getting irritated with me over it. now, i'm wondering how far this will go and if i'll be forced in to having one, and in turn, forced in to being monitored and sold. i do realize that i could create a bunk account, but it's still something to think on
(November 28, 2011 at 12:28 am)belphegor Wrote: it's not limited to that, friend. you are being sold.

Sold? I think not. Social Networks are stupid, but unfortunately I use one because I can promote my music quickly and efficiently. That is all.

This paranoia bull shit is such an old tired worn out conspiracy theory.

They've got your picture... so fucking what?? They've got your email address ... so fucking what?? Well, they ... they ... they ...

"THEY" are trying to make money, and "THEY" are damn good at it. This horseshit about you exposing yourself to some greater degree of identity theft is mostly bull shit. Facebook and Twitter accounts get hacked -- true. So do everybody elses.

Is Facebook, Twitter and Myspace lame?? Totally lame. Are they "selling the world" with some great conspiracy to raid everyone's bank account and watch you undress at night?? Don't be fucking stupid.

The government does NOT need Facebook. Twitter does not NEED to hack your life. It's a stupid conspiracy theory that has no more legitimacy than Leonardo De Vinci painting some bitch into the Last Supper so some fiction writer could claim she was jesus' fucking girlfriend. Grow up ... this isn't fantasy land. No one gives a shit about a billion teenagers, bored housewives and musicians posting pictures about their tits, their chihuahuas, and their next fucking gig.

If a hacker accesses your life through a social network, it's far more likely its simply because you're a god damn idiot who either falls for web ploys or doesn't take basic precautions on the internet.

Well now They've got my kids pictures!!
christ! Your kids are stupid and ugly and no one cares - shut the fuck up and stop believing every thing you read.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Sold? It really isn't that big of a deal. They target advertising. No one makes you buy anything. Google has been doing it forever.
i completely sympathize with both of your stances on not taking it too seriously. however, i always feel that when so many people are apart of something in which there is absolutely no privacy, it should be questioned.
(November 28, 2011 at 12:56 am)Cinjin Wrote:
(November 28, 2011 at 12:28 am)belphegor Wrote: it's not limited to that, friend. you are being sold.

Sold? I think not. Social Networks are stupid, but unfortunately I use one because I can promote my music quickly and efficiently. That is all.

This paranoia bull shit is such an old tired worn out conspiracy theory.

They've got your picture... so fucking what?? They've got your email address ... so fucking what?? Well, they ... they ... they ...

"THEY" are trying to make money, and "THEY" are damn good at it. This horseshit about you exposing yourself to some greater degree of identity theft is mostly bull shit. Facebook and Twitter accounts get hacked -- true. So do everybody elses.

Is Facebook, Twitter and Myspace lame?? Totally lame. Are they "selling the world" with some great conspiracy to raid everyone's bank account and watch you undress at night?? Don't be fucking stupid.

The government does NOT need Facebook. Twitter does not NEED to hack your life. It's a stupid conspiracy theory that has no more legitimacy than Leonardo De Vinci painting some bitch into the Last Supper so some fiction writer could claim she was jesus' fucking girlfriend. Grow up ... this isn't fantasy land. No one gives a shit about a billion teenagers, bored housewives and musicians posting pictures about their tits, their chihuahuas, and their next fucking gig.

If a hacker accesses your life through a social network, it's far more likely its simply because you're a god damn idiot who either falls for web ploys or doesn't take basic precautions on the internet.

Well now They've got my kids pictures!!
christ! Your kids are stupid and ugly and no one cares - shut the fuck up and stop believing every thing you read.

it's okay, i wasn't challenging you.

when you digitally sign that user agreement, you're handing over all of the rights to every photo and line of text you type to facebook. there are other networking sites that leave your material to you. however, a lot of people don't care, as you've said. personally, i do care. i don't want my own information used so that i can be advertised to. that changes it, as cleverly as i saw it put on another website, from you being the consumer to being the product sold. on top of that, i'm advertised enough to on a regular basis being from the united states.
also, as i mentioned earlier, we should question where to draw the line as far as being monitored. it is a voluntary network and nobody's forcing anyone to join, thank goodness. i think that the way facebook operates is immoral. again, it's a personal decision to join and i acknowledge that.
it's interesting to note that i worked in crimial law for a few years and i have seen facebook presented as evidence in a number of cases. granted, these people were committing criminal acts, but it should be noted that the government can and does use facebook in that way. i can't attest to any other way they might use that social network, though.
Loading please wait Wrote:The more you know about the hidden costs (e.g. giving up privacy and private conversation) of the so called "free" social network, the more the cost-benefit function gets out of proportion.

Hidden? Here I thought everybody knew that facebook isn't a private substance. Mine is completely public, even. It's a nice place to upload my pictures to for now (though I can't do anything near-nude there (or frankly anywhere)). Really pisses me off that most of the mainstream photo-uploading sites give a shit about nudity. Pain in the fucking ass.

https://www.facebook.com/LightningFlower

And everything that Shell and Cinjin said. No need to repeat that shit.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is anyone else having a problem with Facebook? Brian37 5 759 March 15, 2018 at 1:03 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Connecting blog to facebook etc robvalue 8 1630 January 28, 2015 at 7:52 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  Science proves that you should un-friend your ex on Facebook Tino 21 10511 November 4, 2012 at 11:35 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Religious adds on Facebook Ziploc Surprise 3 1645 October 6, 2012 at 1:51 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  How to secure your Facebook account Tiberius 5 1679 May 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: kılıç_mehmet
  Facebook Phil 17 5152 March 11, 2012 at 3:22 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Analysis of a Facebook social engineering/Javascript "hack" Autumnlicious 4 3266 March 2, 2011 at 9:29 am
Last Post: fr0d0