Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Star Trek vs. Star Wars - An Objective Analysis
Star Trek vs. Star Wars - An Objective Analysis
You win forever, cracked.com

[Image: usethefarce2.jpg]

To be fair though, you can compare ANYTHING to JarJar and have it look good.
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
RE: Star Trek vs. Star Wars - An Objective Analysis
Hahha, good one. The second last made me think of this sketch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF02VoDQSd0

But I'm still a SW fan.. Tongue
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Hard to decide. Star Trek lost me when it descended into a neutured popinjay commanding a cruise ship cum wellness retreat. But did it sink quite so low as Jar Jar Binks and the little twerp Anakin? Don't know....
meh ... only sci-fi geeks and religious quacks center their life around the creative cumshot of another human being.

The 70s/80s star wars movies were great. Some of the Star Trek stuff is great too. That last Indian Jones film was a giant turd, but the first three are still great movies.

Lucas' recent additions to these films suck, but in my opinion ... who the fuck cares? It's just a movie.
[Image: Evolution.png]

I'm a fan of all of the above. Star Trek was my first and eternal love (also - Deanna Troi, Uhura, Seven of Nine, T'Pol, and Saavik are hot as hell in their prime), but Star Wars is my dark mistress - blending the best of fantasy, sci-fi, and old pulp novels into a unique and harmonious whole... when it's done right.

When they're bad, they're really bad (all the next gen movies; star wars prequels and remakes) but when they're good - they're really good (most star trek TV episodes - particularly DS9 and Next Gen, but honestly I like ALL of them; old 70s/80s star wars movies and the animated star wars clone wars (not the CG series)).

They brought me to love science and the idea of a positive future for humankind. Without it, I may not have become the rational skeptic I am today.

...and seriously - when Star Trek does women, it does them right. They're (very) attractive but strong and interesting women. The whole package - eye candy, tough as nails, and intelligent. Ensign Ro, you weren't a regular on the show but you were a regular... in my heart. Go kill those Cardassian bastards! I believe in you!
If today you can take a thing like evolution and make it a crime to teach in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools and next year you can make it a crime to teach it to the hustings or in the church. At the next session you may ban books and the newspapers...
Ignorance and fanaticism are ever busy and need feeding. Always feeding and gloating for more. Today it is the public school teachers; tomorrow the private. The next day the preachers and the lecturers, the magazines, the books, the newspapers. After a while, Your Honor, it is the setting of man against man and creed against creed until with flying banners and beating drums we are marching backward to the glorious ages of the sixteenth centry when bigots lighted fagots to burn the men who dared to bring any intelligence and enlightenment and culture to the human mind. ~Clarence Darrow, at the Scopes Monkey Trial, 1925

Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. ~Ronald Reagan
I like both of them, although I lean Star Trek a bit more.

Lightsabers are cool

the force is cool

tricorders are cool

Photon torpedoes are cool
You're comparing a weekly serial to a trilogy that spans the Hero's Journey (fuck the "new" three). Apples and Oranges.

Yes I am a SW fan. I've never been captivated in the slightest by ST. Ever.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I am a life long Trekkie! My cousin, who is my father's age, and really more like a father figure to me is the one who got me started. He made his den to look exactly like the deck of the Enterprise, and for my 25th birthday he gave me an actual phaser prop used by James Tiberius Kirk on the show! I went totally nerd and did a happy dance all around Logan's Roadhouse. It was an awesome moment! Never been into Star Wars.

I am so hot for you right now, aleialoura. Tongue

I love how high of a percentage of Atheists appear to be nerds.
Any of you also play dungeons and dragons (or other tabletop roleplaying games or war games?)
3.5 edition, Pathfinder, and d20 modern all the way.

I'm running my players through a game on the 18th where my players will play five fictional and real characters (the battle pope, teddy roosevelt, capone, Asimov, and the god of rock splendiferious) who have to save Santa from the Devil, who was summoned by the desperate Japanese, in 1945 Japan in Nagasaki before the bomb drops.
The devil will hold santa in a fortress protected by Davy Jones, Godzilla, a tentacle monster, and an army of the dead. There will be giant robots somewhere in there also.
This is going to be our Christmas game. It's going to be awesome.

I've played Vampire the Masquerade within the last month. Second Edition. My ex/babydaddy and I were together for 7 years and he is a major gamer. He got me into it, and I still drop in on game night from time to time. I really enjoyed it mostly because it stimulates the imagination, and I love painting the little metal characters.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ron Howard to take over Star Wars franchise. Brian37 26 7360 June 27, 2017 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Star Wars spoof from Family Guy.... Brian37 2 577 April 13, 2017 at 4:47 am
Last Post: Isis
  For Fans of the Stones and Star Trek Zazzy 1 789 November 28, 2013 at 7:06 am
Last Post: Captain Colostomy
  Destruction of the Death star an inside job? downbeatplumb 3 1193 March 20, 2013 at 5:44 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002
  Why Picard will never be on an Abrams' Star Trek film Tea Earl Grey Hot 9 3589 September 24, 2012 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Tea Earl Grey Hot
  Star Trekkin pocaracas 6 1900 September 22, 2012 at 12:22 am
Last Post: jonb
  A Critical Analysis of Cher Lloyd's "Want U Back" Tiberius 10 8399 July 27, 2012 at 7:28 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Religion Wars thirdstringkicker 0 984 April 27, 2012 at 3:48 pm
Last Post: thirdstringkicker
  Star Wars from the 1950's Darwinian 0 1039 May 29, 2011 at 4:26 am
Last Post: Darwinian