Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 2:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intelligent Design: Did you design yourself?
RE: Intelligent Design: Did you design yourself?
(May 28, 2014 at 6:49 pm)Beccs Wrote: No, IT/Creationism is a claim. Look at the many imperfections of the human body. It leads us to conclude that any such designer is incompetent.
That's one of those statements that are funny because it's right.[Image: info-onion-head-emoticon.gif]
[Image: 300_27593.jpg]
The human body is an interesting thing, it has a recreation center next to a waste disposal facility ; Robin William in Man of the year

(May 28, 2014 at 6:36 pm)Artur Axmann Wrote: Intelligent design begins with the observation that intelligent agents produce complex and specified information (CSI).

You want to talk about the production of CSI?
Okay fine by me.

(May 28, 2014 at 6:36 pm)Artur Axmann Wrote: Is intelligent design a scientific theory?Yes.

No. Scientific theories make predictions and open themselves up to tests, something that intelligent design has never done. If you wish to say otherwise, please propose a falsifiable test of intelligent design, and more importantly, the demonstrable mechanism of intelligent design. The latter is literally step one, and aside from some glib insinuations that it's god, I've never seen anyone show this mechanism.

Quote:The scientific method is commonly described as a four-step process involving observations, hypothesis, experiments, and conclusion. Intelligent design begins with the observation that intelligent agents produce complex and specified information (CSI).

Stop! What's the definition of complex and specified information, how can it be demonstrated to exist objectively, and how can it be measured?

Quote: Design theorists hypothesize that if a natural object was designed, it will contain high levels of CSI.

"High levels," implies you're capable of putting a numerical value on it, and also that you have an idea of what a normal level of complex and specified information would look like. That's good, because you'd need those things to be classified as a scientific theory, so what are they?

Quote: Scientists then perform experimental tests upon natural objects to determine if they contain complex and specified information. One easily testable form of CSI is irreducible complexity, which can be discovered by experimentally reverse-engineering biological structures to see if they require all of their parts to function. When ID researchers find irreducible complexity in biology, they conclude that such structures were designed.

Irreducible complexity is, at its heart, one great big argument from ignorance, as used as a scientific test. All it's really saying is "I can't think of a way that this could have evolved, and therefore it didn't," because unless you know how something actually developed you've got no way of knowing whether it truly is irreducible; in Heywood's examples the reason we know of irreducible complexity there is because we literally witnessed it, and even then it's entirely possible to propose an evolutionary method for the same thing.

Not to mention, irreducible complexity as you're attempting to apply it is thoroughly unscientific anyway, because all it's doing is trying to poke holes in the established theory of evolution. No matter how many negative arguments you make, no matter the number of "evolution couldn't do that"s you can find, that doesn't add up to proof of intelligent design. Positive proof does that, and intelligent design doesn't even make predictions through which positive proof could be ascertained.

The entire thing is a shit show designed to assuage creationist egos, which is so aptly demonstrated by the fact that the best evidence it has, irreducible complexity, is nothing more than an attempt to prove evolution wrong. That's not a scientific test, it's a smear campaign.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
Intelligent Design: Did you design yourself?
They even admit it's a deliberate smear campaign:

Quote:The intelligent design creationists who are executing this strategy collectively refer to themselves as “the Wedge.” Phillip Johnson, the architect of the strategy and the group’s de facto leader, invokes the metaphor of a wood-splitting wedge to illustrate his goal of splitting apart the concepts of science and naturalism. A fundamental part of the Wedge strategy is the rejection of naturalism as unnecessary to science. Of course, the only alternative to naturalism is supernaturalism. But ID proponents avoid this word when speaking to mainstream audiences, substituting thinly disguised euphemisms such as “non-natural.” They believe that such semantic subterfuge will enable them to skirt the constitutional prohibitions against promoting religion in public schools.

https://www.au.org/church-state/february...an-horse-a
(May 28, 2014 at 6:36 pm)Artur Axmann Wrote: Is intelligent design a scientific theory? Yes

No, it's a god of the gaps argument and an appeal to ignorance. I don't understand something therefore god did it is not a scientific theory.
I see these IDers believe in the god of evolution.

http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index.p..._Evolution

Quote:Turning his back completely on the human race and moving to Mono Island, he then threw his energies into re-designing living creatures and seeking to improve on them. This is hampered as he can only do things one at a time: until he has a frank chat with Mrs Whitlow, he is ignorant in the fine details of how to get his creations to reproduce themselves. Many of his early creations proved non-viable, due to his misguided attempt to put wheels on everything; of the ones that made it, the hermit elephant can be considered typical of his "improvements".

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(May 28, 2014 at 6:36 pm)Artur Axmann Wrote: Is intelligent design a scientific theory?Yes.

It's as much of a scientific theory as guessing at an answer to a question and then doing absolutely nothing to prove yourself wrong but declaring you're right anyway.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

When ID researchers find irreducible complexity in biology, they conclude that such structures were designed.

http://www.intelligentdesign.org/

Have these "ID researchers" ever tried to look out of their own backyards?

Galileo Had to peer through a telescope to find evidence that the Earth revolved around the Sun.
Darwin had to travel to the Galapagos where he found evidence that animals evolve.

Complexity does not equal design.
If anything, design usually comes with simplicity. It only becomes complex after several attempts and lots of tinkering with the original simple design. But this is not what you're advocating... is it?
(May 28, 2014 at 9:03 pm)Heywood Wrote: More than a hypothesis, it is a fact of reality.

Are we talking about the same thing here? Intelligent design? The 'scientific' cover for creationism. The movement that presumes a god made everything and then goes out looking for evidence for that presumption.

(May 28, 2014 at 9:03 pm)Heywood Wrote: Mycoplasma Laboratorium is a synthetic species of bacterium. Within the DNA of the species is a series of water marks.
These water marks are too complex to have evolved and can only be the product of intelligent design.

Says who? You?
Who is to say that it would be impossible for this to occur naturally?

(May 28, 2014 at 9:03 pm)Heywood Wrote: It has been demonstrated scientifically that biological systems can be intelligently designed and contain systems which are irreducibly complex.

Great! Now how does that prove your god?
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(May 29, 2014 at 8:10 am)Bad Wolf Wrote: Great! Now how does that prove your god?

He's just quibbling over details. He knows we're discussing something entirely different to what he is, but pretending to be the smartest man in the room is apparently how he gets off, so I say just let him.

Frankly, a dipshit with delusions that everyone else thinks he's a genius is much sadder than a know-it-all that we've busted down to size. Dodgy
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(May 28, 2014 at 10:43 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(May 28, 2014 at 9:25 pm)Artur Axmann Wrote: it is a mathematical impossibility for the universe to be the way it is without external interference.
The universe ,in its construction ,reveals the
the laws of mathematics and these laws can be calculated and diagrammed by physicists.

This implies an intelligence in creation and underpins I.D. theory.

So you need billions of galaxies to produce life on Earth?
That's kind of the same principle that, if you put me in a pitch black room with a dart board somewhere on one of the walls, then give me billions of darts to throw and I eventually get a bull's eye, I'm now suddenly a pro dart player. :p

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 3061 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Question How do you prove to everybody including yourself you're an atheist? Walter99 48 5766 March 23, 2021 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  How did u feel when you deconverted? Lebneni Murtad 32 5185 October 27, 2018 at 10:29 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Argument from "You did it wrong" zipperpull 13 2051 May 23, 2018 at 4:04 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Believers, put yourself in my place. Gawdzilla Sama 102 13623 November 23, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Why and How Did you Kill God? ScienceAf 67 11709 August 28, 2016 at 11:19 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Trick Yourself Into Believing In God LivingNumbers6.626 10 2535 July 21, 2016 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Intelligent Design Veritas 1021 162199 January 16, 2016 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  How did you become an atheist? Excited Penguin 256 34441 December 26, 2015 at 10:19 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Did your former religion ever make you feel broken? Cecelia 19 5602 November 11, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: abaris