Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 4:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge
Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge
(January 8, 2016 at 9:31 am)ChadWooters Wrote:
(January 7, 2016 at 10:32 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Morality is specific to the human species, and easily explainable by the science of evolution.

How would a uniquely human capacity for moral judgement exclude the possibility of an objective morality? The uniquely human capacity for reason presumably references real independent facts.

Having evolved behaviours and dispositions says nothing about the moral value of execising them.What am I missing?

Chad,

I would like to ask you a few personal questions: What, specifically, are your beliefs? Do you identify with theist or deist, or somewhere in the middle? Do you identify with a formal religion, and if so, which one? If you are Christian, how literally do you interpret the bible?

Obviously you don't have to answer any of these if you don't want to, but I think a debate between world views can only be a true debate if all parties are transparent and upfront about what, exactly, their views are.

Clearly, you are a very intelligent, well educated person. You must either hold an advanced degree in philosophy, or you have researched it independently because it is an area of interest and great importance to you. You describe your metaphysical position using philosophical language and theory at length, and eloquently. You explain your perspective of knowledge as the genus, and empirical science as the species (paraphrasing). The thing is, these arguments only go so far as to say: "there is more to this world than can be discovered by empirical science alone." You always fall short of actually saying what you believe in.

By poking out at other people's world views from a dark corner you become a moving target. It's not fair to shroud yourself in ambiguity while calling out ignorance left and right. How can you say, "your world view is wrong, and mine is right," without actually taking a stance anywhere on the spectrum? Are you afraid that if you admit to being Christian you will be held accountable for bridging that gap between the ambiguity of knowledge theory and the Christian God of the bible? Maybe it's my fault for never having asked you before.

The thing that gets me "riled up," is you REFUSE to admit to yourself that you can understand how philosophical theory in the absence of science might not be considered adequate evidence for a hard nosed atheist. Instead of just saying, "I can see how this might not be enough to convince you," you take an offensive position of, "well, if philosophy isn't enough to convince you, then I guess you just aren't educated enough in philosophy like I am. Go read Plato, and then, if you are as smart as me, you'll get it." That is unjustifiable arrogance on your part. Admit limitations in your argument where they exist, but for starters, be forthright about your faith! Oh, and demonstrate your spiritual knowledge. I am still waiting for someone to do that.

Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Messages In This Thread
Scientific knowledge versus spiritual knowledge - by LadyForCamus - January 9, 2016 at 11:39 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fine Tuning Principle: Devastating Disproof and Scientific Refutation of Atheism. Nishant Xavier 97 7743 September 20, 2023 at 1:31 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Using the word Spiritual Bahana 44 3948 October 4, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2682 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Is atheism a scientific perspective? AAA 358 62765 January 27, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Evolution is not Scientific ✔ The Joker 348 48271 November 26, 2016 at 11:47 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Cartoons: propaganda versus the giant gorilla Deepthunk 4 1896 October 19, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Last Post: Deepthunk
  Jerry Coyne's new book: Faith Versus Fact Mudhammam 17 6032 August 13, 2015 at 12:22 am
Last Post: smsavage32
  Help: jumped on for seeking scientific proof of spiritual healing emilynghiem 55 18094 February 21, 2015 at 2:54 am
Last Post: JesusHChrist
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12732 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  A question about the lifespan of scientific theories. Hammod1612 35 7275 January 16, 2015 at 5:15 am
Last Post: Alex K