Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 1:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evidence
Evidence
I just stumbled on a nice website explaining the scientific method of using evidence. I have had many arguments with theists and not one one has produced any testable, falsifiable evidence of any god. I think they have dificulty understanding what I mean by the term.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...Theory.svg

The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: Evidence
"But asking for evidence all the time is so unfair! Why are you athiest so intolerant and closed minded? Why???"

(All sic)
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 20, 2012 at 11:49 am)Stimbo Wrote: "But asking for evidence all the time is so unfair! Why are you athiest so intolerant and closed minded? Why???"

(All sic)

You have no evidence that I am intolerant and closed minded!
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

Methinks I'm getting a headache now...
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(May 20, 2012 at 11:43 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I just stumbled on a nice website explaining the scientific method of using evidence. I have had many arguments with theists and not one one has produced any testable, falsifiable evidence of any god. I think they have dificulty understanding what I mean by the term.

I'm pretty sure warm and fuzzy counts as evidence.
Well I larfed
(May 20, 2012 at 11:43 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: I just stumbled on a nice website explaining the scientific method of using evidence. I have had many arguments with theists and not one one has produced any testable, falsifiable evidence of any god. I think they have dificulty understanding what I mean by the term.

Pretty good explanation of how it works.

Now, how do we apply that to gods? Their holy books give us points of evidence for a certain 'shape', but I feel that reality is a different 'shape' altogether. Take supernatural evidence for example. There's no way you can draw the shape of reality by also including the supernatural dots. In my experience, supernatural isn't in the picture.

Do any theists have evidence linking the two successfully?
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Quote:I think they have difficulty understanding what I mean by the term.

Not just theists. A lot of atheists are convinced 'evidence' is a synonym for 'proof'. It ain't.
Very good way to explain how evidence works and why it's necessary.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
They left out the "a theory produces predictions that can be tested against evidence we gather later" part. Otherwise it's a pretty good first approximation.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is evidence? Arkilogue 50 7791 October 4, 2016 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Evidence of ET? Jehanne 54 7412 December 19, 2015 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Evidence vs proof? IanHulett 20 3841 December 14, 2015 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: IanHulett
  Empirical Evidence for Multiverse Neo-Scholastic 88 13349 December 10, 2015 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Evidence against creation Neber 51 14376 April 20, 2015 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Surgenator
  Can you give any evidence for Darwin's theory? Walker_Lee 51 9754 May 14, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Evidence for the Culprit in the Late Bronze Age Collapse in the Levant Minimalist 0 974 February 14, 2014 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  More Evidence...as if it were needed...that White Evangelicals Minimalist 18 5371 January 5, 2014 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: là bạn điên
  More Evidence of Evolution in Action Minimalist 8 3301 November 7, 2013 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Would this be decent evidence for reincarnation? Zone 58 17253 September 19, 2013 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: Brian37