Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would this be decent evidence for reincarnation?
Would this be decent evidence for reincarnation?

While he didn't get quite all the details of his past life right it was a 90% hit rate there. I suppose you would need a few more samples to be sure it wasn't a lucky coincidence.
RE: Would this be decent evidence for reincarnation?
I still have a hard time believing such a thing is possible. I have a hard time believing these kinds of documentaries to begin with because they're mainly concerned with sensationalism and rarely give a balanced view of the issue. Secondly, there's no way to tell whether or not these "memories" are being fed to the child so that he "remembers" them. Now if he mentioned the conditions of starving to death in Ethiopia from the time he was first able to talk, you might have a more compelling case. But a Scottish boy recounting life in another part of Scotland doesn't seem to be that impressive.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
(September 17, 2013 at 11:03 am)Doubting Thomas Wrote: But a Scottish boy recounting life in another part of Scotland doesn't seem to be that impressive.

It's quite good because it's so bland, most adults tend to recall someone really dramatic or impressive in a past life like they're acting out some kind of a fantasy. A real case would be something fairly boring and normal. It could be you stay roughly in the same geographically location as well as there would be no need to traipse over from Africa or somewhere in your immaterial form or whatever it is. Though he described it as falling down a hole/portal so it sounds like you could instantly end up anywhere.
I recently changed my view on reincarnation.

There was a fly who seemed to await my approach and then take off just as i got to his position.

I came to the conclusion that it was a reincarnated bus driver.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

No. Reincarnation is superstitious bullshit just like any other.
I've watched a few programs on these claims and they never hold up to any sort of investigation. A large part of it is based on the total falsehood that Children somehow don't lie or make up things. Have these people never been around children? Children pretty much constantly make up things and it's easy to twist them around. If this was an adult nobody would take him seriously. Why does being a child make him more credible.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
(September 17, 2013 at 2:36 pm)Brian37 Wrote: No. Reincarnation is superstitious bullshit just like any other.

It's technically possible though it doesn't have to be related to any specific religion, it could just be a part of the natural world we don't know anything about. If someone can prove they had a past life by providing details they shouldn't ought to know then it's worthy of interest. The boys information was good enough managed to locate his former house on the island and describe small details which is quite impressive. From what I know there are other cases like this one.

(September 17, 2013 at 2:41 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: I've watched a few programs on these claims and they never hold up to any sort of investigation. A large part of it is based on the total falsehood that Children somehow don't lie or make up things. Have these people never been around children? Children pretty much constantly make up things and it's easy to twist them around. If this was an adult nobody would take him seriously. Why does being a child make him more credible.

How would he have been able to find out what he did and pass it off as a story about his former life? It was an remote obscure location and he mentioned some small details that match. So it's fairly good testimonial evidence.
(September 17, 2013 at 2:45 pm)Zone Wrote:
(September 17, 2013 at 2:36 pm)Brian37 Wrote: No. Reincarnation is superstitious bullshit just like any other.

It's technically possible though it doesn't have to be related to any specific religion, it could just be a part of the natural world we don't know anything about. If someone can prove they had a past life by providing details they shouldn't ought to know then it's worthy of interest. The boys information was good enough managed to locate his former house on the island and describe small details which is quite impressive. From what I know there are other cases like this one.
NO IT IS NOT

Organisms decay, the atoms that make up those organisms once broken up will not function AT ALL in the same manor as the organism it once was.

Reincarnation is bullshit, period.
(September 17, 2013 at 2:48 pm)Brian37 Wrote: NO IT IS NOT

Organisms decay, the atoms that make up those organisms once broken up will not function AT ALL in the same manor as the organism it once was.

Reincarnation is bullshit, period.

I don't think we know enough about consciousness to be able to say exactly what it is and how it's formed at this point. Anything you do want to say is a belief without evidence. Though something like this video a possible bit of evidence, something that was tested and to a good extent verified. He did get the car accident wrong but the house on an island in the Outer Hebrides he got right. This isn't a "Just believe it and it could be true" kind of thing if there's evidence.

There's some other interesting subjects of note that are worth a look. Telekinesis for instance, seen here operating under a glass bowl. This could be some kind of evidence of consciousness operating beyond the body to some tiny extent. This doesn't have to be anything supernatural at all just something we haven't covered yet.

(September 17, 2013 at 3:03 pm)Zone Wrote: I don't think we know enough about consciousness to be able to say exactly what it is and how it's formed at this point. Anything you do want to say is a belief without evidence. Though something like this video a possible bit of evidence, something that was tested and to a good extent verified. He did get the car accident wrong but the house on an island in the Outer Hebrides he got right. This isn't a "Just believe it and it could be true" kind of thing if there's evidence.

Is the alternative - totally new incorrigible fools are born every day - better than the theory of reincarnation, which suggests the same flock of fools returns time and again to screw with the world?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just now on FB Reincarnation woo....... Brian37 1 291 April 24, 2017 at 10:49 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is evidence? Arkilogue 50 7772 October 4, 2016 at 3:04 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Evidence of ET? Jehanne 54 7412 December 19, 2015 at 10:41 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Evidence vs proof? IanHulett 20 3841 December 14, 2015 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: IanHulett
  Empirical Evidence for Multiverse Neo-Scholastic 88 13344 December 10, 2015 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Evidence against creation Neber 51 14370 April 20, 2015 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: Surgenator
  Can you give any evidence for Darwin's theory? Walker_Lee 51 9751 May 14, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Evidence for the Culprit in the Late Bronze Age Collapse in the Levant Minimalist 0 973 February 14, 2014 at 11:44 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  More Evidence...as if it were needed...that White Evangelicals Minimalist 18 5369 January 5, 2014 at 10:03 pm
Last Post: là bạn điên
  More Evidence of Evolution in Action Minimalist 8 3300 November 7, 2013 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris